Garden of life Vs Shakeology?

Options
Which do you prefer and why? I am thinking for cost of going with garden of life. Are these meal replacements?

Replies

• Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    Yes, both are meal replacements (as long as you get the Garden of Life RAW Meal, not just the protein powder). I love the RAW Meal and also their RAW Protein! Great quality, great ingredients... Flavor is not as good as Shakeology but I mix mine with tasty things, and make delicious chocolate peanut butter banana smoothies with it. I always have 1/2 of a serving of the RAW Meal and it really fills me up. Tried to have the whole serving once and it was just too much for me.
  • jonlefave
    jonlefave Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Wow, the Garden of Life shake looks damn good, thanks for posting!

On the vitamin and nutrients front, it also looks like Garden of Life's offering is better. More fiber. Has what Shakeologys got and more. Not to mention price. I wonder how it tastes?
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    Wow, the Garden of Life shake looks damn good, thanks for posting!

On the vitamin and nutrients front, it also looks like Garden of Life's offering is better. More fiber. Has what Shakeologys got and more. Not to mention price. I wonder how it tastes?

Yeah it's super healthy! I feel great when I have it. Taste is okay. I recommend making a smoothie with it, not just mixing it with water or milk of choice.
  • Lola824
    Lola824 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I think they sell this at earth fare and whole foods, I was just thinking shakeology seems so darn expensive, so I think I will start with Raw garden of life first!
  • bburk00
    bburk00 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Just be careful with Garden of life. Do a search on Garden of Life heavy metals. It seems as though they source their brown rice from Asia and in labs have shown to have extremely high levels of Lead, Tungsten, and Cadmium. Not sure if they are going to do a recall on it or not. I've been looking at both for a month or so now and may go ahead and spend the extra money on shakeology to be safe.

Excerpt from one of the websites:

In one lot we tested (E2694A), we found concentrations so high that:

• Lead intake from a single serving exceeds California Prop 65 limits for dietary supplements by 2,700%.

• Cadmium intake from a single serving exceeds California Prop 65 limits for dietary supplements by over 1,000%.

• Tungsten concentrations were so high that they exceeded the lead concentration by nearly 2,000%.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,639 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't it be much more sensible to just learn how to eat correctly rather then depend on a meal replacement?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • metalchic72
    metalchic72 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I think the point of a shake (for me) is I'm on the go a lot & it's very quick & portable. I'd like something that's healthy.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't it be much more sensible to just learn how to eat correctly rather then depend on a meal replacement?

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

yeah I agree. the only garden of life you need is at the farmers market. just make you own shakes. I like smoothies too but I just add in flax seed, oats, chia, vegies, fruit,, almond milk, water, and sometimes squeezed oj. get creative with what you already have.
  • amebix
    amebix Posts: 7 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

yeah I agree. the only garden of life you need is at the farmers market. just make you own shakes. I like smoothies too but I just add in flax seed, oats, chia, vegies, fruit,, almond milk, water, and sometimes squeezed oj. get creative with what you already have.

I agree to a point. There are food deserts. There are single parents with two jobs. I eat whole foods and prepare a lot of my own foods- BUT. having a tub of this around is incredibly convenient when time is short. To get that much nutrition ( go ahead, read the ingredients, I dare you find a way to get that much protein, etc in 10 seconds without choking..lol).

The point here is this thread is for people that use these products, not to shove lifestyles down throats...no pun intended.
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    Neither.

• 50sFit
    50sFit Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Lola824 wrote: »
    Which do you prefer and why?
    I prefer food.
    I eat lean meats, fresh fruits and veggies, nuts, whole grains, beans and raw dairy.

• Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Exactly. At the very least save yourself the money and just buy a whey protein and a good multi-vitamin. The per-serving cost of those products is pretty expensive comparatively for marginal value. Supplementation should be a very small piece of the big picture.
  • explosivedonut
    explosivedonut Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Natural News, the most reliable of all the news sites!

Seriously, these products are overpriced, taste terrible, and don't actually do anything. Most of the people who espouse their virtues have a vested interest in having other people buy them.
  • bw1605
    bw1605 Posts: 5 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I actually use shakeology because when I was eating unhealthy, I was spending 5 or more dollars a day for breakfast at fast food chains. so I was spending more then what shakeology cost me per day and its way better than the crap I was eating. not to mention I quit smoking which also saves more 7+ dollars a day
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I like Garden of Life. Their ingredients list is just about as clean as they come for protein powders, and they always have coupons. Vanilla chai is the best flavor in the Raw Meal. Just mix it with a little more liquid than the label says and make sure to use a blender bottle since it's pretty thick. It gets even thicker if you chill it after mixing.
  • tinger12
    tinger12 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Oh boy, someone linked a story from naturalnews.com one if the most unreliable website for actual science backed "facts."
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

The most sensible foods are the ones that will be eaten. Shake powders and bars are those things you stash in your bag and remember are there that night when everything goes wrong at once. Fast food as a last resort is completely optional.

That being said, I pay for packaging and choose something single serve and a little higher calorie for the sake of having energy to function. I tend to brand hop but never to either of the above brands because they don't fit the bill.
  • Working2BLean
    Working2BLean Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Shakeology

I eat all kinds of prepackaged foods for the specific use.

It is about convenience though, not my normal way of eating

Quest bars, Cliff bars, GU gel packs, Accemeraide mix, Muscle Milk cartons, EAS protein bars.

Any of that stuff is great on a bike ride or in my gym bag as an alternative to a drive thru burger and fries.

I can't always make perfect choices, but I can make better choices.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    While meal replacements aren't necessarily a necessity, you might have luck with one. Those heavy metal reports look scary though. I don't know. I mean I've never had either but if you don't mind spending the money, give a few options a try (preferably ones without metal in them) and see what you like. Heck, you might decide that meal replacers aren't for you. It's all about figuring out what's right for you. Good luck!