Running and Big Chested Ladies..who don't lose in the chest with weight loss

Options
Hi, I have always been in the D's (single, double, triple) since about age 12. No matter when I was 135lbs or heavier I have maintained my chest. I don't mind them and I will never want to surgically get rid of them. I see everyone post about loving running and I know I will never be able to do it. I was in cross country when I was 13 and I hated it because of my chest. Just wondering if there are others out there like me? Anyone else who hates running because of them (no matter how good the sports bra, seriously paid a lot of money for special order and it didn't help)?

Replies

• Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    nope DD here and I love running. You've got to find a bra that straps them down or it hurts. I like Under Armour high impact sports bras. I've seen other people say they use two bras but that's too much trouble for me so I don't mind the price of the UA ones.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I'm a 32D/30DD, so not huge but reasonable compared to my frame size, and it's all about the bra.

I use one of two types by Shock Absorber, and I've run half marathons in those in total comfort (well, my legs weren't comfy, but my boobs were).

I realised one of mine needed replacing recently because my upper chest felt sore, so I definitely notice the difference.
  • holly_roman
    holly_roman Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    where can I find those? I swear I have tried at least 20 bras that were supposed to be good and it still hurt too much :'( and my chest is NOT sensitive.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    34 DDD down from a different letter of the alphabet maybe a J or F (think I had a bra each with those letters). When I run, I use a supportive underwire and a tight sports bra. Others have success with single bras but this is what I found works for me. I do the same with horseback riding as well (and anything else with a lot of bounce). Keep looking and trying different things; you'll find something that works for you eventually! Good luck!
  • yesimpson
    Options
    I buy mine online, usually from Amazon.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    I wear a 28FF(H American). I love running with the right support and am doing half-marathon training right now.

Have you been properly fitted? A good (sports) bra should be supporting you from the bottom band and shouldn't be relying on the straps at all other than for stability. A bra with a snug enough band and short enough straps should prevent any motion. If it's the compression that hurts, many specialty sports bra makers sell "encapsulation" sports bras which do exactly what it sounds like, rather than just pushing everything in, and that might be an option for you too.

• Ishii19
    Ishii19 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Would like to add - when you find the right bra and start running - pay attention to your form. A lot of new runners tend to lean forward - almost like trying to fall forward instead of running lol. I found out pretty quickly with my 34 ddd's this is a recipe for low back ache, but if you focus on good posture while you run it solves that problem. Another benefit of good posture while running is it helps me keep a good pace (i.e. keep from running too fast).
    Happy running!
  • brb2008
    brb2008 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    where can I find those? I swear I have tried at least 20 bras that were supposed to be good and it still hurt too much :'( and my chest is NOT sensitive.

Have you tried stacking an underwire bra with a high impact sports bra? I am not large chested but I do hate feeling them move so I actually buy sports bras a size too small or wear an underwire bra underneath.
  • yesimpson
    Options
    brb2008 wrote: »

Have you tried stacking an underwire bra with a high impact sports bra? I am not large chested but I do hate feeling them move so I actually buy sports bras a size too small or wear an underwire bra underneath.

If your sports bra is the right size and you've adjusted it properly, you really shouldn't feel your breasts move hardly at all. Certainly not enough to be distracting.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    as was mentioned, form is important when running, i think even more so for large busted ladies.
    bras can be fitted just like running shoes. it might be beneficial to get fitted

I stick with fila high impact and champion sports bras. the champions being the best for me

running stores sometimes have a section for sports bras. or there is always the 2 bra option
  • krithsai
    krithsai Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I'm a DD or DDD. I was a G until I was nursing my daughter. I always need 2 bras to run in. I've tried some 20 different bras but nothing works as well as my 2 bra combination - 1 Nike High Impact bra underneath an UnderArmour Medium Impact bra.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I have always found something that works. When I was 40G I used Enell. When my weight dropped, but I didn't have the money for another expensive one, I wore two Enell at once. Now I use Shock Absorber at 34DD. Even when I'm sprinting my sports bras work.
  • malioumba
    malioumba Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I usually wear a bra, and then one or two sports bra above the bra. The bra isn't super specialized.
    I'm a 34 H. Much bigger than anyone else has posted it seems...and I don't really get anything special - just...lots of sports bra layers and it seems to do it for me.
  • ravenzbaby47
    ravenzbaby47 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I recommend under armour or maximum support from victorias secret sports line
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I'm currently wearing a 34 G Freya sports bra from Freya and love it. I ordered it from Fig Leaves.
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    36 EE and in the gym I wear a sports bra and a size too small sports control top to really squeeze the girls in to stop the bounce, then a t-shirt/top on top of that. Never found a sports bra that has been good enough on its own but the too tight sports control top really makes a difference to me. Currently doing the 5K coach potato programme and the girls are comfy!
  • kathyelizabeth87
    kathyelizabeth87 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    You're not the only one, running is ridiculously painful. I wear sometimes two sports bras at once, I've tried so many brands and nothing works. It's a seriously dangerous endevour as you can end up with a black eye or worse!
  • SherriLynnLeeman
    SherriLynnLeeman Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I always said you would never see me running unless the police and or a bear were chasing me.. Now I love running! I've found the Victoria's Secret high impact bras have literally changed my life and actually hold my DD's in! Once you have the proper support it makes it much easier... I've found I made excuses for myself because of my large chest and I'm making an effort to stop doing that. "I can't, my boobs are too big" is no longer in my vocabulary. :-)
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    Try fig.leaves.com
    Bra stop. Com
    Bravissimo. Com
    All stockists of large bras
    Panache sports holds it all in and you can't feel the impact of jumping jacks.

• scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    You just need a very good bra. Maybe two (some of my friends swear by layering two well engineered sports bras). With the right bra you can do ANYTHING