Complete standstill

Options
I know I've lost weight faster than I expected, but all of a sudden, after 11 weeks on this low cal diet, there is nothing. I've changed nothing, I eat the same amount of calories, I count my macros yet, nothing. Well there's been 200 grams up and 100 down since a week ago, so yea =/

Was just wondering if anyone out there could have any idea of what I could have landed myself in, and why I can't shift away from it. So very frustrating when you don't know what's wrong..

And when it comes too working out, I do walks, but only when I can as I suffer from fibro I am sadly not able too do much, hence why I loved how good this diet was working for me..

Help me pls :)

Replies

• siluridae
    siluridae Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    You either overestimate your burnt calories from exercise, or you underestimate your consumed calories. Maybe both.
    Make sure you weigh everything. No cups, no serving sizes, no tablespoons, weigh it. Get a digital food scale if you don't have one.
  • kejLa86
    kejLa86 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Like I said, I rarely exercise, so no eating back there. And I weigh absolutely everything, to the point of annoying people around me :D
  • siluridae
    Options
    Then you calculated your TDEE wrong and you need to lower your calories.
  • Duchy82
    Duchy82 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Just bear with it, weightloss isn't linear how long have you been 'stuck' if its less than 4-6weeks then carry on as is. Being the same weight for a few weeks in a row really isn't unusual.

Another option is to look at refreshing your calorie goals if they haven't been adjusted automatically with your weightloss (mine doesn't I have to go back in every once in a while and then the calories are lowered based on my current weight) it may mean you need to adjust to maintain the same rate of loss.
  • kejLa86
    Options
    Maybe I was a bit unclear in my original post. I have lost, 10.7 kg over these 11.5 weeks, it is now, this past week I've come to a standstill. And that's what I'm not understanding.. Like I said, maybe I'm being a bit impatient, but nothing.. absolutely nothing :/
  • siluridae
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Oh duh. I thought you were going 11 weeks without any weight loss.
    It is perfectly fine that you did not lose any weight in one week. That happens. And weight fluctuates a lot, from waste and water.
  • kettlebells_and_cupcakes
    Options
    You have done amazingly well in such a short space of time. Your body is most likely clinging onto everything it can nutrition wise for a time until it readjusts to its new weight. Hang on in there. If you are doing everything right and eating in a deficit you should start losing again soon.
  • LuLuMWilson
    LuLuMWilson Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I was losing weight, doing exercises 6 days a week and watching healthy. I started losing weight and then boom nothing. For three weeks the same weight. It drive me crazy then a friend (who is a dietician and one of my exercise teachers) and a relative who spoke to her trainer told me I had to change up because my body was use to what I was doing. I started trying different foods and meals ( but always staying within my daily calories), my snacks I have a day, I even changed up how often and times a day I exercise. I don't always do six days week but at night or morning I do some yoga or easy exercises. I went back to losing a pound or two not as fast as before but at least I'm losing.

The other thing I had to learn was to be a little patient I wanted to lose a lot of weight in a short period of time. When I got to this little problem I was going to eat the things I knew would put me back to square one but I got a lot of encouragement from friends and people that I didn't know. So I'm saying to you this you will get past. Change up a little and know that you can and will get past this.
  • fi_b
    fi_b Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    siluridae wrote: »
    Then you calculated your TDEE wrong and you need to lower your calories.

I would still have a look at your TDEE because if you're on a very low calorie diet there is always the chance that you're actually not eating enough.
    http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/
    This website and calculator is very easy to use and the information at the top is pretty handy too.

Ultimately weightloss does plateau and if you find that the scale doesn't move after a few weeks if could be time to introduce some exercise. It doesn't have to be much, but every little bit helps.

Good luck!
  • ridge4mfp
    ridge4mfp Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    This is perfectly natural, although I understand your frustration. I just experienced this myself. The scale stayed still for 12 days and I got very antsy. I had already read here that this was normal, so I just stayed the course. Finally the scale started moving again. Patience.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
  • kejLa86
    Options
    Thank you all for your advise :) I guess I'll just have to stay healthy and carry on, however it is VERY frustrating when your dear loving boyfriend keeps losing and losing ;p
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    kejLa86 wrote: »
    Maybe I was a bit unclear in my original post. I have lost, 10.7 kg over these 11.5 weeks, it is now, this past week I've come to a standstill. And that's what I'm not understanding.. Like I said, maybe I'm being a bit impatient, but nothing.. absolutely nothing :/

You're being unrealistic and impatient. You've had a very quick rate of loss. Don't expect that to continue. And, with about 30 pounds to go, you really should be aiming for no more than 1 pound per week. Why are you on a "low cal diet"? How low is low?

A week is NOTHING. Nothing at all. It's not even a "standstill." Please set reasonable expectations, keep weighing your food, and follow MFP's recommendations for a reasonable loss. There's nothing wrong that you need to fix in terms of not losing for a week.
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    One week. You could have bloat, hormone changes, extra salt in your diet, not be sleeping as well, etc. Or, your body could just be adjusting. Mine has done that every time I have lost weight. I started at 210 at 180 I was stuck for months. I went with it and just upped my calories to maintain for a while. Decided to lose more and got stuck at 170. Drastically changed my body comp with heavy lifting. But no weight loss. I have maintained between 165-160 for the past year because I did not have time. Did not want to weigh food and did not feel like putting in the work(food related). Had a minor family tragedy as well that involved the loss of a pet. I could not bring myself to go for a run without him so I didn't for the past 6 months. You can see that there was genuine stalls and I feel my body was adjusting. I weighed, I worked out, I finally got diagnosed hypothyroid. There was also the year I just couldn't. Thankfully I had portion sizes firmly ingrained enough to keep me maintaining.

All that to say, weigh loss is a process. It changes based on our bodies hormone and stress levels, our mental health, our effort put in. You have lost quickly, give it a moment to adjust, check your numbers and give it time. You got this!!
  • kejLa86
    edited November 2015
    Options
    veganbaum wrote: »

You're being unrealistic and impatient. You've had a very quick rate of loss. Don't expect that to continue. And, with about 30 pounds to go, you really should be aiming for no more than 1 pound per week. Why are you on a "low cal diet"? How low is low?

A week is NOTHING. Nothing at all. It's not even a "standstill." Please set reasonable expectations, keep weighing your food, and follow MFP's recommendations for a reasonable loss. There's nothing wrong that you need to fix in terms of not losing for a week.

Well, low cal, not vlcd, so 1000-1200 calories a day, which is what I should be having. Just specified what type of diet it is, as in, not low carb or high fat or w/e.

Anyways, as here in Sweden they recommend 0.7-1 kilo a week to be a good weight loss and me being on that average for such a long time it was very weird that it just stopped. And it is a standstill when nothing moves.

So yeah, just wanted some advice.. :)
  • AspenDan
    AspenDan Posts: 703 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    veganbaum wrote: »

Well, low cal, not vlcd, so 1000-1200 calories a day, which is what I should be having.

oh god...prepare for some flame.

I'd suggest giving it a few more weeks, without weighing often..then at the end weight again and if you haven't lost weight and are weighing/logging perfectly, speak to a doc about it =)
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options

It sounds like you've done great so far...be patient....a few weeks with no movement is normal...I go three weeks at a time without the scale moving, then suddenly I'll drop another half or full pound....you are progressing, not at a standstill like you think. I just read your responses to others saying the same thing as I did, believe us...a week of no movement is NOT a standstill....Give yourself a break xo
  • kejLa86
    Options
    Well, patience is not my strong suit, apparently :p Soo, I guess I'll wait and see what happens, guess it doesn't help when I can't do any working out atm either, so yea, just a frustrating time in life :D

cheers all :)
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    My friend, I totally get it! xo Edited...I love that you say "so, yea"....my daughter says that ALL the time..lol
  • MarcyKirkton
    MarcyKirkton Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Yep!