Success for Bingers Too?

Options
2»

Replies

• no_cookie_no
    no_cookie_no Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I got a lot better about this when I moved in with my boyfriend, who has always had very healthy eating habits. I'm just too embarrassed to binge eat in front of him. Before that, I "rewarded" myself almost every day with huge meals in the evening. I've found (as you already have noted) that being honest and accountable--to yourself, to your family, to this community, whatever works--will definitely help.
  • oolou
    oolou Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    janda923 wrote: »
    One thing my therapist said to me in the beginning that I loved was to imagine walking into my garage and seeing one my car's tires flat. What would I do? Would I go about addressing the popped tire and moving on with my day, or would I pop all four tires because I was so mad about the situation? When I would binge or emotionally eat, it would often lead to a spiral of "popping all the tires" because i was so mad and frustrated at myself for failing. Now, I'm now much better at recognizing when I'm starting to binge, and can rationally and without judgment decide what I want to do next. More so than ever my answer is that I want to stop, and I do :).

I really like this. Thank you for sharing it!

• misschiggie123
    misschiggie123 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hey Im new to MFP but Im a binger too
  • misschiggie123
    misschiggie123 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    My post randomly got deleted. Too long to write it out again but in a nutshell . Identify your triggers, are u binging because you are :

1) stressed or going to be stressed very soon ( i.e. You anticipate things are gonna get tougher when it comes to a particular personal issue)

2) have you drank enough water for the day? Sounds silly but makes a massive diffrence!

3) have you had ar least 5 portions ons of fruit and veg? If i have im less likley to binge

4) am I being put in situations out of my control ( or where my will power is tested) too often? - maybe you are entertaining guests too frequently or your social calender is more packed than usual ? Makes it harder to stick to your target.

The answer is usually simple. But if you mess up keep going ! I dont feel guilty if i mess up anymore because I know im on the road to sucess! Keep it up!!!
  • kcusnem
    kcusnem Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    oolou wrote: »
    janda923 wrote: »
    One thing my therapist said to me in the beginning that I loved was to imagine walking into my garage and seeing one my car's tires flat. What would I do? Would I go about addressing the popped tire and moving on with my day, or would I pop all four tires because I was so mad about the situation? When I would binge or emotionally eat, it would often lead to a spiral of "popping all the tires" because i was so mad and frustrated at myself for failing. Now, I'm now much better at recognizing when I'm starting to binge, and can rationally and without judgment decide what I want to do next. More so than ever my answer is that I want to stop, and I do :).

I really like this. Thank you for sharing it!

That's good stuff!
  • LynneHolloman
    LynneHolloman Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I used to be 100 lbs before my four babies. I gained 75 lbs after my last one was born (she was 4 years old when I gained it) I binged on bread all day every day for two years straight. All I ate was 4 pieces of bread and o.j. for breakfast and for lunch a cheeseburger, coke and fries from fast food. Then I'd get home from work and eat another 4 pieces of bread for an afternoon snack. Then dinner of maybe Mac and cheese or spaghetti. I probably drank 5 cokes a day. Don't forget I smoked too!

I just gave up. This was how I was going to eat, it made me happy when I ate it.

It was a gradual beginning of my new lifestyle. I woke up one day and couldn't walk. I had plantar fasciitis from the weight gain. I'm only 5'1. My body is not supposed to be big!

I started weight watchers. I did ok for 30 days. I decided to graduate. I started mfp and stayed counting calories. I began walking every day at 5 am. My motivation was my darn feet! They hurt but I knew I need to lose the weight!

I lost 20 lbs from counting calories and staying under my calories. Then I decided since I'm in control of my body, I cut out gluten and dairy. Lost 5 inches immediately.

Turns out I was addicted to wheat.

Wheat causes so many health issues. It causes binge eating, turns your thoughts into I'm still hungry thoughts. And you can never get enough. Guess what? Everything has wheat in it. Look at your pantry, I bet it's filled with wheat just like mine was.

I thought I was being healthy by not eating a cupcake or donuts every day.... Now! Wheat isn't that much different than a sugar treat.

I hope my story helps!

Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!