Is anyone having trouble with getting started?

Options
I am wondering if anyone has trouble with getting started with the weight loss journey? I certainly am finding it difficult to start it. Am I the only one ?

I am very sure where to start and what to do, but it's just so scary... so lost.

Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I had no problems, but I was majorly, majestically motivated.

When you're ready to begin, you'll know it. You'll know it because you'll be so motivated that it will force you to be determined and take action. When that happens, nothing can stop you. Until it happens, nothing can force you.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    Just start with logging, for me it was an eye opener. I used to believe I didn't eat a lot
    I then started to make small changes
    I also added 20 mins of exercise each day
  • teo_o
    teo_o Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Maybe it should not be like "today I start a diet and will eat properly and exercise every day." I think a good start would be with small steps, small changes gradually. Without feeling that you started something big. Start a few days with logging food without seeking not exceeding daily calories. Add one more or two more glasses of water a day. After a few days when you see what was your normal caloric intake, assess which of the foods can be cooked healthier. For example, instead of fried foods began to bake in the oven or grill. Replace mashed potatoes with green salads. Make small changes to become a habit and gradually re-educate your eating habits. It takes longer to achieve but will be much less likely to return to old habits and weight.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    smackie82 wrote: »
    I am wondering if anyone has trouble with getting started with the weight loss journey? I certainly am finding it difficult to start it. Am I the only one ?

I am very sure where to start and what to do, but it's just so scary... so lost.

This is what you do

The very next thing you eat, weigh it and log it first

Voila ...you have started

That's it

That's all you have to keep doing
  • fi_b
    fi_b Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    @teo_o said it perfectly - baby steps. And one of the biggest thing you can decide to change easily is to decide that you're making "lifestyle changes" as opposed to a diet. Diets generally have an end date, and after that time has expired it's so common to just revert to old habits and put everything back on, and often a little bit more just for good measure.
    Instead, slowly make new and healthier habits. Slowly alter what you eat to make it better for you. Gradually add exercise - and make sure it's something that you enjoy! If you hate cardio (me, for example) try weight training, or gym classes such as zumba. Even just walking will help.
    Also having an open diary that you actually log everything into is great. Even if just your friends can see it, they may be able to give you some pointers or suggestions.
    Feel free to add me or send me a message if you like. I have found having some incredibly supportive friends on here so very beneficial.

All the best with your journey!
  • jessmessmfp
    jessmessmfp Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Whenever I "fall off the wagon", due to stressful weeks, vacations, moves, etc - I always slowly get back on. I give myself about a week. I start with drinking a glass of water every hour, for a day or two. Then I build on that. Second day, I'll stop eating any fried/excessively oily/sugary foods. Keep at that for a day or two. Then I'll move up to cutting out a lot of processed food. By the end of the week, I'm back to a more natural diet and will start logging everything. I found that this works for me - and doesn't make it intimidating to start. When it is intimidating, I'll procrastinate and put it off. It also starts my body off with intense water hydration, and when I start pulling out the overly-processed foods, I don't go into as bad as a mental "withdrawal". I don't eliminate everything, but I do try to keep it to the minimum.
  • 1956suzyq
    1956suzyq Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    It is a big first step for sure. As everyone say you can start out slowly and build on. Sometimes going all out and starting with being strict with your diet and starting an exercise program is just too big of a change. In my case I have just restarted and I had to join a local weight loss meeting so that I am accountable to someone. I hope it helps to keep me on track. Good luck with your journey. B)
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I started by simply logging everything I normally ate or drank for an entire week without reducing my intake whatsoever. I logged EVERYTHING.

At the end of that week, when I realized how much I was actually consuming in a typical day, *that's* what opened my eyes and became the shock factor motivation that I needed to make a change.

But I started out by making small, gradual, sustainable dietary changes - one sugar and one sugar stevia in my coffee in the morning instead of 2 sugars, for example, and then slowly switching out any other caloric liquids for water, instead. Same with food - I focussed on cutting down instead of cutting out. Because for me, being deprived of something I love would be a recipe for disaster.

I also starting moving more - just getting up and walking. Nothing drastic, nothing 'heroic' but most importantly, nothing stupid. ;)

Bottom line? I've lost over 70 lbs in 9 months and now walk a minimum of 10 miles a day. It's been gradual and sustainable and a heck of a lot easier than I ever thought it would be when I started. :)

• SaraB_82
    SaraB_82 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I started by simply logging everything I normally ate or drank for an entire week without reducing my intake whatsoever. I logged EVERYTHING.

At the end of that week, when I realized how much I was actually consuming in a typical day, *that's* what opened my eyes and became the shock factor motivation that I needed to make a change.

But I started out by making small, gradual, sustainable dietary changes - one sugar and one sugar stevia in my coffee in the morning instead of 2 sugars, for example, and then slowly switching out any other caloric liquids for water, instead. Same with food - I focussed on cutting down instead of cutting out. Because for me, being deprived of something I love would be a recipe for disaster.

I did the exact same thing. I logged everything for a week without changing my eating habits and when I saw the totals, it gave me a right kick in the butt to get started. I gradually started measuring out my coffee cream and then replacing calorie bombs with lighter options. Then it's more of an adjustment to a different lifestyle instead of diving headfirst into another "diet."
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    @smackie82 - Some great advice from everyone. @snickerscharlie and @When_Bears_Attack definitely nailed it.
    Knowing and accepting that you need to make a change in your life Habits is the first step.
    You need to establish a baseline of where you are, I recommend at least a week ( 2 weeks is even better ) of logging without making any changes in your dietary or exercise habits. This does 2 things - it helps you learn the intricacies of how MFP works and establishes your baseline. As part of this process go to your favorite store and buy a small kitchen scale that can weight in ounces and grams. I prefer gms as once you start using the scale portion size math is easier.
    Once you have a baseline then start making small changes that you can live with for the rest of your life.
    The first thing I did was cut back on sugar in my morning coffee, a week later went from cream to milk. At the end of the month I replaced the Tim's Iced Cappuccino with a coffee - eliminating a calorie dense drink. My Dietician said - don't drink your calories.
    Small changes that I can adjust to and live with.

Here are a few links that I passed on to other new users that have helped me.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/ihad/view/the-power-of-habit-part-1-why-habits-matter-688130
    http://fit101.org/the-step-by-step-guide-to-losing-weight-with-myfitnesspal/
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1234699/logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide/p1
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/872212/youre-probably-eating-more-than-you-think/p1

A lot of these have been listed in this post.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/833026/important-posts-to-read/p1
  • ElJefeChief
    ElJefeChief Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    I like the idea of just logging and making a deliberate plan to not to restrict at all for a couple of weeks. My take is that no matter what you do or don't do, regardless of what your macros are, what time you eat, low-carb or low fat, how much you exercise, etc. - if you log what you eat (and also, ideally, weigh yourself regularly) you're setting yourself up for success.
  • smackie82
    smackie82 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the motivation.
  • Melmo1988
    Melmo1988 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    This is my problem right now. The first time I tried to lose weight was after my first baby, and I lost 75 lbs. That was 5 1/2 years ago. Just before her first birthday my ex told me he cheated and got her pregnant and I started binge eating and I gained back all the weight. Then I got pregnant with my second last August and I was 215, was 261 after she was born and got to 215 without trying within 3 weeks. Now due to terrible eating habits I am 230. I am having so much trouble just starting because over the last 4 1/2 years I have tried dieting so many times and have been so motivated just to fail. So if I get motivated I just feel like why should this time be any different, I'm gonna fail like every other time I tried. But most of the time I'm not motivated, and I don't know what to eat, I start hating food and nothing sounds good. I don't know if I can do this.
  • mysteps2beauty
    mysteps2beauty Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Great ideas above...I just want to add one thing....what is your "why"? Why do you want to start a diet? Is it because you "think" you should? What is the voice in your head saying to you?

Like Kalikel, I was highly motivated. I refused to buy another pair of pants. I look in my closet and see all these expensive clothes and I can't wear them. Getting out of bed was brutal. Aches and pains everyhere. The mirror was my enemy. I'm no spring chicken and do not want to starting taking meds for conditions I could avoid or change simply by eating better and a little exercise. My big why is when my daughter graduates next year, I do not want to take another picture fat (there, I said it).

Every day I'm blessed with is another day I can move closer to my goals. I cannot blame anyone but myself for where I am in life. I have choices, and they have brought me to where I am today.

So figure out your why. Nothing really will stick until you know that for sure.

Take care.
  • misterdale67
    misterdale67 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    I had no problems, but I was majorly, majestically motivated.

When you're ready to begin, you'll know it. You'll know it because you'll be so motivated that it will force you to be determined and take action. When that happens, nothing can stop you. Until it happens, nothing can force you.

So true!! I couldn't agree more.
  • shadows2424
    shadows2424 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I am. I've been logging on here go ten days and have over eaten every single day. Its like 1200-1500 calories just doesn't seem like enough food!
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    I am. I've been logging on here go ten days and have over eaten every single day. Its like 1200-1500 calories just doesn't seem like enough food!

Depending on your activity level and frankly appetite, it may not be. If you have your account set to lose 1 or 2 lbs a week, you could try a bit less like maybe 1/2. This could give you a few more calories to eat and help you ease into things