Protein shakes

Options
Tmcgrown
Tmcgrown Posts: 1 Member
edited November 2015 in Getting Started
Hello, What is a good protein powder that wont break the bank?

Replies

• PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    I use Matrix Whey Isolate.
    I bought the 1KG tub which lasts around 6 weeks and cost around £19. I believe it's on the Matrix website!
  • nade0069
    nade0069 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I get mine from Costco (not a big surprise to anyone who knows me), they have different kinds I get the LeanFit it's 39.99 Canadian it comes in Vanilla and Chocolate.
  • Musclev8gainz
    Musclev8gainz Posts: 6 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Honestly if your already overweight protien powder is a bad idea it's used to build mass
  • Shanel0916
    Shanel0916 Posts: 586 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Honestly if your already overweight protien powder is a bad idea it's used to build mass

Not true, yes you may have a protein shake I drink one each morning and I am overweight, so far have lost 11 pounds. They are good because you need to try an maintain as much muscle as possible while losing weight protein will help. They are especially good if you're lifting weights also, a protein shake is a great option or way to start your day as I do.

Edited to add: I use Gold Standard 100% Whey Protein French Vanilla Creme
  • M30834134
    M30834134 Posts: 411 Member
    Options

No, that's not accurate. Protein powder is not any kind of magic to build mass - you got to lift heavy things for that. And, protein powder wont make you fat - caloric surplus will.

Tmcgrown wrote: »

With protein powders, you get what you pay for. I would recommend you visit labdoor.com and run a search for protein powders to find a tested product within your price range
  • joshuajdouce
    joshuajdouce Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I Would just try a few and find one you like and then buy a large amount to save money. You don't want to by a tub and then not like it i made that mistake doh just make sure you log the calories from to keep in caloric defecit.
  • djpruitt
    djpruitt Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Will exceeding your recommended protein goal cause you to gain weight when first starting cardio/weights even though you are 500-1000 below daily caloric intake every day? I started 4 days ago and have doing cardio for an hour a day with a little weight training, protein shakes, eating healthy and below calorie goal as stated above but I have put on 6lbs. Going in the wrong direction!
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options

This isn't accurate at all.
  • braves3134
    braves3134 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    djpruitt wrote: »
    Will exceeding your recommended protein goal cause you to gain weight when first starting cardio/weights even though you are 500-1000 below daily caloric intake every day? I started 4 days ago and have doing cardio for an hour a day with a little weight training, protein shakes, eating healthy and below calorie goal as stated above but I have put on 6lbs. Going in the wrong direction!

If you're in a calorie deficit, you shouldn't gain weight and protein wouldn't change that even if you are above your recommended goal, 6lbs seems like a lot to swing in 4 days but I've gone up 5lbs over a few days and back down again so fluctuations like that are normal and can be from a number of things like water retention, muscle growth, etc (just make sure to keep an eye on it to make sure you don't KEEP going up and if you do, adjust your calorie intake). But again to answer the question, going over your protein goal will not make you gain weight, a calorie surplus will. Hope that helps a little
  • braves3134
    braves3134 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Tmcgrown wrote: »

I use "Body Fortress Whey Protein" and get it from walmart for $18 for a 2lb container, pretty good stuff, I use about 100g per shake which comes out to about 60g of protein at 400 calories (and I use a cup of almond milk to mix which is only 30 calories). So far I've tried the peanut butter chocolate, chocolate, and strawberry, all three are pretty good tasting, better than a lot of protein powders I have used in the last. I also like that it has a small amount of creatine in it too
  • panzerm187
    panzerm187 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I use amp wheybolic extreme not cheap but it is a lot lower in Cholesterol then the other protean powders I've found
  • kaylajane11
    kaylajane11 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I don't know where you're located, but Target carries the Market Pantry brand of protein in chocolate and vanilla. I use the vanilla and it tastes great. I find it to be the best value; it is about $16 for 2lbs and one scoop is 250 calories and 25g of protein.
    No.
  • sairsyfairy
    sairsyfairy Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I really like PE Science's SELECT Protein Powders. The flavors are amazing and they are both whey and casein.
    The Snickerdoodle is an awesome flavor, 1 scoop = 110 calories, 1.5gr Fat, <1 Sugar and 24gr Protein. Amazon usually has good deals on them.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options

NO, it's used to help people lacking in protein meet their needs.
    Personally OP, unless I am lacking I try to avoid it, as I'd rather eat more.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    Options

Bwa ha ha... no.

Protein is a macro. Gaining (muscle) mass requires eating in a caloric surplus and stressing the muscle tissue with some kind of progressive overload system, be it weight training or body weight training.

I regularly use a protein shake to help meet my protein goals, but then again, I'm a lifter attempting to gain mass, so my goals for both protein and calories are high, high enough for recomp, not high enough for a true bulk, though.

My advice to OP is to try several brands over time. You might find that the taste of some powders far outweighs the dollar or two in savings you might get from other brands. Ultimately it's up to you if you care about taste or not. Whey protein is commonly the cheapest protein powder on the market and comes in pretty much any flavor that you can think of from a million different sources.

I, personally, don't use whey, but it and other proteins can be bought in bulk from truenutrition for a relatively low price. I'm not affiliated with them, and get nothing for the recommendation so I don't give a single crap if you go there and buy it... but it's the cheapest source I've found for many types of protein.

• morihay
    morihay Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I Agree I have lost an average of 2 pounds a week and I have 1 scoop of protein powder in a smoothie once a day because after tracking my food I found I was seriously like very seriously lacking protein since I started tracking my food and since I upted my protein I'm never hungry in my. 1200 calories it's been amazing the differance I use body fortress whey isolate from Wal-Mart $18. It last about a month it's just ok fravor but in a smoothie its fine. I also started 10k trainer ithink I would be starving with out the protien my onescoop gets me to my daily goal
  • proanthonylee
    proanthonylee Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I'm really liking the on 100% whey protein, especially the chocolate flavor, at costco it sells for $60 for 90 day supply bag, perfect for your budget! with 29 g protein per scoop!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

no it's not...it's just a supplement. that's like saying, "don't eat chicken if you're trying to lose weight...it's protein and only used to build mass."
  • brb2008
    brb2008 Posts: 406 Member
    Options

If this topic hasn't yet taught you, making claims like this is just irresponsible. We're all here to reach our own goals, whatever they may be. Protein shakes are just that- PROTEIN! Anything to excess is going to cause weigh gain.

I use Isopure's zero carb vanilla. It fits my goals calorie and carb wise, and really helped me lose weight in the beginning of my journey and I just started using it again today! It is NOT the tastiest, but I blend in a banana or add chocolate milk sometimes! My favorite way to blend it is with an Atkins shake and ice, very tasty! It's an easy meal replacement too when I know I need to get something in me but don't have an appetite.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options

No, you're thinking of brotein. That's the stuff the bros take after their broscience workout routines with the bros, then they sit around in their string tank tops and flatbill hats with their gallon water jugs and take dat dere brotein. For dem gainzzz, brah.

Protein is an essential macronutrient. Sufficient protein while in a caloric deficit (along with strength training) helps preserve existing lean body mass. Sufficient protein while in a caloric surplus (along with strength training) is used to build additional lean body mass (note the "caloric surplus" part about building mass - it's kinda important).

As to the original question, I've used Body Fortress protein powder before (pretty inexpensive, can be picked up at Walmart), it's not bad. I'm currently using Dymatize Elite Gourmet - mixture of whey and casein (fast- and slow-digesting proteins). It mixes easily in a shaker bottle and I like the consistency because it's a little thicker than 100% whey shakes (owing mostly to the casein).