Drinking alcohol at night to chill out. The struggle is real.

I find that I can be good pretty much all day. Then night falls and Im bored and still stressed out from my day. I'm not sure how to curb the habit of tv and sipping adult beverages.. Anyone know the feeling?

Replies

• teamsurvival
    teamsurvival Posts: 7 Member
    Courtney, I recommend giving up alcohol entirely. What, you may say? OMG. The rewards far outweigh any perceived "pleasure" or relaxation you believe you're getting. I highly recommend two resources to help you. 1. www.hellosundaymorning.org This is a site dedicated to helping people learn to change how they deal with alcohol. 2. Read the book, "Kick the Drink Easily" by Jason Vale.

Wait,you may say. I didn't want to give up alcohol. Well, maybe not, but I think if you read the book and/or visit HSM and start participating you might just find you're under the same illusion many of us have fallen prey to time and again. Good luck, my friend.
  • ScreeField
    ScreeField Posts: 180 Member
    edited November 2015
    I can relate. Beer and me are good pals. (Good beer anyway).

Sometimes I can get by with a LaCroix instead of a beer though. It still has the satisfying swoosh when you open the can, and a little fizz without any sweetness (a decent substitute for beer in my book).
  • minekac
    minekac Posts: 8 Member
    Uh, YEAH! I'm fighting that urge right now.
    I have been able to get away from doing it on a nightly basis by either a. nibbling on low cal popcorn, b. Putting myself as far away from the yummy stuff as possible and c. leaving the house and doing something fun. Whether it's the movies, with out stopping at the concession stand, or going out to trivia and being horrified at the costs of drinks out.
    Actually with how many calories are in them, it's been so long since I've gotten toasted. You could buy a REALLY nice *insert beverage of choice* one that is so pricey you won't want to rush through it, and save it for Fridays.
    Also, if you're stressed from the work day: Baths. With bath salts of lavender oils to help relieve the stress. They're pretty awesome sometimes.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,942 Member
    Alcohol is tricky when it comes to weight loss. Because it can't be absorbed, it has to be metabolized out of the body. When this happens NO OTHER ENERGY source is used. So glycogen, fat, and amino acids stay "dormant" until the alcohol is gone from your body. This may be why lots of people who drink a good amount of alcohol daily, don't lose weight easily.
    Especially for fat loss because if one drinks a good amount of alcohol before going to bed. Fat burning (which is the main fuel at rest) comes to a standstill with alcohol in the system.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,756 Member
    more of a wine person, I find when I have a few glasses I make poor decisions and usually snack on whatever is laying around.
    Evenings are tough....moderation is always the key but alcohol can really cloud good judgement
  • courtneybonbon
    courtneybonbon Posts: 2 Member
    Thanks for the suggestions you guys! I do love LaCroix and I have also found that even showering at night chills me out substantially. I don't know if I want to give it up completely (I don't like the thought of limiting myself) but I think I need to pick 2 days a week where Its ok to have one if I want. It can't be an everyday thing anymore.