Need Help

Options
Hi Im Sabrina, I was just wondering if anybody had tips or ideas for me. I want to eat healther & get to my goal weight but I don't know what kinds of foods I should eat or stay away from. I have looked at so many books & its overwhelming. I am trying to make a list of foods that are healthy to eat & would help me loss to reach my goal weight. If anybody could help I appreciate it.

Replies

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Eat any food you like. Just eat fewer calories than your body uses in a day.

Certainly some people find they feel "fuller" when in a deficit by eating more vegetables. But honestly that's not required. Buy a food scale, and make sure you're logging accurately.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Get set up with with a food scale that measures in grams and start weighing and logging your food. Foods that fit into your calorie allowance for the day are good to eat.
  • rjugy12
    rjugy12 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Caloric deficit is key in take more protein as well. I'm just now today starting my fast today and my diet you can friend me and look at my diary to see what foods are good. Hi ROSE!!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    These three links are a great place to begin!

https://cdn1.sph.harvard.edu/wp-content/uploads/sites/30/2013/04/HEPApr2013.jpg

http://www.fitness.gov/eat-healthy/how-to-eat-healthy/

http://sodiumbreakup.heart.org/sodium-411/sodium-and-your-health/

While you don't have to eat healthy to lose weight, I totally get why the push to make yourself healthier can combine both weight loss and eating healthier. Try to work on adding things a little at a time. Drink more water for a couple weeks, then add more veggies, then lean, white meats. If you slowly add in more and more healthy stuff, the rest of it just gets phased out.

It's better and easier to work on adding things in than it is to focus on the "I can't eat this!" stuff. When you're adding things, you give yourself the gift of healthy eating. When you just take things away, it seems more depressing. I realize that it's a bit of the glass being half full, but think it's better mindset, even so.

I can't list foods because I don't know what you like. But if you haven't tried edamame yet, try it. It's a nutritional powerhouse and very yummy. :)

Good luck!
  • FrankieandSpots
    FrankieandSpots Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Eat what you like, with a few more vegetables and fruits and a few less highly processed things (which are high in calories, but don't provide much nutrition, and often don't fill you up for long) such as sugar, cakes, biscuits, white bread, processed chips and very fatty foods.
    A wide variety including grains, beans, meats, fish, nuts, eggs and some treats is fine. Don't worry about excluding foods or food groups unless you have diagnosed allergies.

Work with what you normally eat and make subtitutions like wholegrain instead of white pasta, and adding vegetables to the sauce. Smaller servings of icecream with fruit on the side (or just have the fruit).
    Nuts or fruit or fresh veggies or tins of fish for snacks (or a musli/nut bar instead of lollies)... The little steps and improvements are easier to make and easier to maintain.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Eat whatever you like - as long as it's within your daily allowance, you're fine :]