Too Much Water?

Options
I've been reading online you can drink too much water. I want to reach 7 L (2 gallons) today. Is that going to kill me if I drink that much once? I'm just trying to get into the habit of drinking more water. Figured if I start out high and slowly cut it will become super easy.

Replies

• RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    And I'm not saying that your plan of 2 gallons a day is too much. Just that it's not always necessary to have more.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    No, won't kill you, but much more than you need, and more than the optimal amount. If you drink too much water you flush out electrolytes from your body which you need. Most people don't drink enough water, but that doesn't mean you should drink too much.
  • joshuakcaron
    joshuakcaron Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    And I'm not saying that your plan of 2 gallons a day is too much. Just that it's not always necessary to have more.

No not 2 a day. 2 one day, then cut it in half each day till in optimal. I dunno I just am really bad at remembering to drink.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Unless you have a medical or psychological condition that alters your sense of thirst, you will not drink too much or to little water if you drink to your thirst.

If you limit your water and go thirsty or drink more water than your thirst dictates, you could drink too much water.

Just trust your thirst. Don't make it harder than it needs to be, you know?

If you trust your thirst, you'll do fine. :) (Absent medical/psychological issues.)
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    I drink six cups of water a day depending on what else I am drinking and eating.
  • Samm471
    Samm471 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Some days I can drink about 3/4 bottles other days I can drink about 8 I think it all depends on how your body feels .. Like kalikel said drink when your thirsty just listen to your body :)
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I sweat a lot...a LOT. I drink about 4 liters/day. In the summer, I find that I have to drink 5-6 liters depending on how much time I spend outside. This is coming from someone who does drink a lot of water: 7 liters is almost definitely too much for a normal person. If you want to be consistent about drinking enough water, here's what I do: I have three 1 liter jugs. I fill them and put in the fridge overnight; I have nice COLD water ready to go for the day.
  • trilakegrandma
    trilakegrandma Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Both my cardiologist and endocrinologist say there is also "water" in many foods and count other drinks. Over-hydrating is hard on the kidneys and your heart because your heart has to move all that fluid. Do what's normal for you and your exercise level just don't overdo it. Don't think so hard about it, you probably get more "water" than you think.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Good luck finding the right balance of water for your body. We're all a bit different so the amount of water I need will vary from yours. Just remember to eat a banana! Good luck!
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    I've been reading online you can drink too much water. I want to reach 7 L (2 gallons) today. Is that going to kill me if I drink that much once? I'm just trying to get into the habit of drinking more water. Figured if I start out high and slowly cut it will become super easy.

Yes there is such a thing as drinking too much water. In a sudden and quick burst of drinking water ( and we're talking a LOT of water in a rapid quick time frame) can overload your body and your body won't be able to excrete the fluid as fast as it's coming in and also throws off your electrolyte balance. - rare, but can happen.
    http://www.healthline.com/health/overhydration#Overview1

Usually this comes in handy. If your urine color falls between 1-3, you're pretty well hydrated. 4-8, you probably should increase your fluids. I'm not telling you that you have to look in the toilet before drinking fluids, but it can't hurt as a reference point.

Urine-Hydration-Chart.jpg
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    just stay hydrated...
  • Cynthiamr2015
    Cynthiamr2015 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    You need to be careful you do not wash out all of your salt. That is what I was told by a Doctor, he also told me that is happens to runners more then anyone else. BUT he did said that it will get rid of wanted salt from your system that you need if you over do it with water. He also said that it takes a lot before it causes problems. :)
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options

I fail to see any logical basis in your approach here.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    It's starting to get hot where I am and I've been drinking 2-3L of water a day, and I've been in the loo every 20-30 minutes. I can't imagine how much you'll be peeing drinking 7L :worried:
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options

I fail to see any logical basis in your approach here.

This. How about drink a cup first thing when you get up, and then a cup every time you eat throughout the day?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I have slowly made water part of my daily routine. I keep three water bottles chilled in the fridge. I drink my first water with my morning vitamin (better on an empty stomach). I make a tea in the morning, then finish another bottle of water, sipping, during the work day. I keep a glass of water (Perrier these days) at my elbow when relaxing in the evening. It all adds up.

It is very hard to over hydrate. If you force yourself and feel nauseous you are going too far. I do feel different when properly hydrated. The feeling is hard to describe. It's like the back of my throat feels....watery instead of slightly parched.
  • angerelle
    angerelle Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    This is a very strange way to instil a habit. It would work better to build up rather than start ridiculously high and then cut back down. Why not just drink when you're thirsty? Your body will tell you if it needs more water.