Life After C25K

Options
Today I will finish up Week 8. I'm looking forward to next week when I finish the program. I can't believe how the program worked! I've always wanted to be a runner but never really thought I would be, now I am!

How did you continue with your running schedule after finishing the program? Did you continue to run the 30 minutes, or did you do somethng different to increase your distance and/or speed?

Replies

• mandykasase
    mandykasase Posts: 110
    Options
    i'm thinking when i finish mine, i'll go on to the c210k programme. That's if i survive this one.
  • Shannmarrs
    Shannmarrs Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I don't have an answer for you, but as a girl trying to do the C25K I wanted to say Congrats on finishing it!! :happy:
  • guppygirl322
    guppygirl322 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I'm nearly done with week two. If I'm not mistaken, there is a bridge from 5k to 10k. I think it's an app for smart phones, but if you google it you might be able to find it. There are podcasts too, you might see if you can find one there.
  • whouwannab
    whouwannab Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Since I completed the C25k I generally run about 2 miles 3 times during the week and try to run one long run on the weekend of about 3.2 miles. It takes me about 35.5 minutes. I want to work on speed before I increase distance.
  • guppygirl322
    guppygirl322 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    http://www.c25k.com/

Page down to the bottom for the 10k info.
  • Texas_Nana
    Texas_Nana Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I was a card-carrying, certified couch potato...if I can do it anyone can! You go girl!
  • yes_i_can
    yes_i_can Posts: 419
    Options
    I've been thinking about the same thing... I'm only on week 6, but am trying to plan for the end.

I know I won't be able to actually go 5km within the time at the end of the program, because I'm still slow. So, I'm currently trying to decide between two plans, unless someone has another suggestion that sounds better. ;)

1) I'll increase my time by 5 minutes or so per week until I do the full 5km (which I'm guessing at my speed will be at about 40 minutes), and then just keep doing that distance focusing on finishing it faster.
    OR
    2) I'll go back to the beginning of the C25K intervals, but rather than walk/run I'll do run/run faster... if that makes any sense.

Not sure which way to go yet.
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,270 Member
    Options
    bump
  • neonpink
    neonpink Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I completed the C25k programme in May and I have started the bridge to 10k app I plan on doing this 2/3 times a week and a 5k run once a week when I get over my cold grrrr

katy
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I'm currently on W7D3 of C25K. Upon completion I'm either going to

a) run for 30 minutes 3x a week (regardless of the mileage)
    b) run a full 5k 3x a week regardless of the time it takes
    c) start C25K over again and increase my speed for the run/walk intervals (running at 6.5 and walking at 5.0 which is more or less a jog)

It's yet to be decided.

Any suggetsions here too as to which way to go would be appreciated :)
  • icerose137
    icerose137 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Increase your distance by 10% every 3 weeks will keep you pretty optimal.
  • Kath712
    Kath712 Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I've been mixing it up a bit. For starters, I didn't actually "finish" the program. Around week 7, I ended up running an actual 5K. I couldn't believe it when I actually ran (ok, jogged, but still!) the whole thing. So, I proved to myself that I could do it. After that (which was April 23rd), I continued to walk/jog on some days, but I started adding in strength training. I felt like with all the walking/jogging I was doing, my arms and torso were going "soft." So for the last ~ 2 months, I've been alternating walking/jogging with strength training (mostly DVDs at home). I'm feeling great, and happy to say that my jogging has not suffered at all. I think I have even improved. I will find out Sunday morning when I run my second 5K. Hoping to beat my time from the first race (36 minutes)!
  • KTNemo
    KTNemo Posts: 100
    Options
    I finished C25K in November, and run 5K three days a week to this day. I also take a spinning class 3 days/week to help with speed and shin splints. I feel great. I am in better cardiovascular shape at 32 than I was at 16! It's amazing. Definitely keep it up.
  • lcnelson
    lcnelson Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I have been running at least 30 minutes, 3 days a week minimum. My goal is to do the One Hour Runner plan and just increase my intervals. I tend to have a hard time starting to run again with walking intervals. So far, so good!
    Also I think to continually running the 5k's cannot hurt....It's really practice with a bonus t-shirt:)

Good Luck
  • runlorirun
    runlorirun Posts: 389
    Options
    I am still working on a C25K type program too. I did start with the C25K for the treadmill but when I moved to running outside I was having huge problems so I kind of started over with my own plan but kind of following the C25K guidelines. I have been happy with my progress and I am injury free :)

I am planning on increasing my distance. I am thinking I may consider a half marathon. I would LOVE to run in one of the Disney half marathons. My daughter runs half and my hubby runs marathons, they have done the Disney ones and it was just so much fun being in the crowds I could not imagine the race it's self. That same year I ran the 5K in Animal Kingdom... AMAZING!

I just have to say I was super proud of my hubby when he ran the races in Disney. He did what they call the Goofy run. This means he ran the half one day with my daughter and then ran the full the next day. I was amazed and oh so proud of him!
  • Mommyof3texans
    Options
    I have just two more runs to finish C25K, one of which will be my first 5K race tomorrow! I am still debating what to do next, I feel like I need some kind of plan! I think I want to run every other day still but I may consider dropping that to 3x a week with one of those being a "long" run.

I'd like to add in some cross training and/or strength training so that is the missing piece right now for me. I can't decide if I want to do Bridge to 10k or One Hour Runner or some other similar plan like Hal Higdon.
  • Kristie18
    Kristie18 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I am completing c25k on Sunday. I just downloaded the interval run app for my ipod to do next. I will do Gateway to 8k and then you can even go to the one hour runner program. Good luck!
  • yes_i_can
    yes_i_can Posts: 419
    Options
    So, for those of you that have finished it, I think I need your help!! I'm not sure what came over me this afternoon, but I decided I needed to register for another 5k sometime before the one I'd already entered, since it's not until October. So, I searched around online... and there was one coming up at a park that I'm familiar with (was doing my runs there during the winter becasue there's not a lot of traffic and the roads are well maintained), so I thought that would be great. I signed up, paid my registration, etc.

Then I realized how close it is... in 4 weeks! I have 4 weeks left in C25K, not including any speed work. AND, it asked me my PR to place me in the pack and I said 40min. I've never done it and therefore have NO IDEA if I can do it in 40 min.

What was I thinking??
  • Texas_Nana
    Texas_Nana Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I think I'll be nervous about my first 5K too. I'm very slow, probably running a 14 minute mile...lol. The running world calls my type penguins! But you know what, I don't care...just like the motivation poster says, "No matter how slow I go I'm still faster than those still on the couch!
  • ilsie99
    ilsie99 Posts: 259
    Options
    You should transition from counting minutes to miles, and work up to about 20 miles per week using the 10% rule. At these higher mileages is when you will start to see surprising and delightful physiological changes.