Training your dog to run with you

Options
2»

Replies

• hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I run with my golden and he used to be a total spaz on leash, but he learned to settle in for our runs. I use a waist leash with him so my hands can stay free. Maybe if you started out at a slower pace he'd settle in? My boy would go nuts as soon as I broke into a run, so I slowed it down and that worked at keeping him much calmer. Work on your "leave it" command for the occasional squirrel that darts across your path.

Like 3dogsrunning, if I am running somewhere where there aren't any trash cans along the way, I normally follow an out and back path so I can stash the full poop bags and grab them on the way back. If you are running at a park, like I do on the weekends, there should be trash cans along the route. When you run it regularly enough, you'll know exactly where each one is! lol
  • rbiss
    rbiss Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I tied a knot into the middle.of the leash and put a carbiner in it to hook bags too
  • clover5
    clover5 Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    I tie my dogs loaded poop bags to a clip on her harness. It's her job to carry it. When we pass a trash can I just release it from the clip and toss.
  • jacquifrench304
    jacquifrench304 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Fitness for pup is important as well I found a c25k program for dogs to build their fitness , start out slow and after a few runs she should work out that pulling erratically is not on