Pots Syndrome Diet

Options
Is anyone familiar with pots syndrome?? I've been advised to double my sodium intake to increase blood volume, in turn decrease symptoms. It's been difficult to eat that much sodium without eating food that is awful for me- such as processed foods or fast food. Any ideas ???

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    You can eat processed food and fast food while losing weight. Most people cut it out of their diet when they try to lose weight because it's easier to overeat due to it often being calorie dense.
  • kellan813
    kellan813 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I don't mind some of the extra calories- it's the additives, preservatives, nitrites, what have you, that are terrible- as in they cause diseases and cancers
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    Many frozen meals don't have preservatives, if that's a concern for you. I eat a lot of Lean Cuisine meals and they fit my goal macros well even if they are a bit heavy on the sodium.
  • kellan813
    Options
    Thanks, I'll check them out. They do always seem to have a nice looking variety too
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,360 Member
    Options
    Is there any reason you cannot add a good quality salt to the foods you are eating? Make soup, stews, casseroles, season your meat etc etc
  • jujaws
    jujaws Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness, someone else with pots! So often I hear "does that mean you smoke a ton of weed? " lol. I find that pickles/pickle juice really helps me when I'm having a bad day.
  • fastforlife1
    fastforlife1 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    If you go on a low carbohydrate diet, you will find that you crave (and are supposed to eat) lots of salt.
  • catt952
    catt952 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    why not eat canned baby corn or jarred olives mmm
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    What salt is being prescribed for is treating the hypovolemia (reduced blood volume) - so remember to increase your water intake too, although not massively or you'll just wash the salt out.

You can add salt to chicken or broths and soups without tasting it too much, same to avocado and tomatoes. Soy sauce also contains quite a bit. French fries? High quality smoked salmon or herrings contain no nitrates. (Which, by the way, is really the only conservative you should be really worried about...)

You can also use large grain rock salt as seasoning instead of sea salt. You'll taste it less for the same total amount of salt as it his higher volume to surface.
  • kellan813
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas everyone! I have been trying to add as much salt as I can tolerate to my food, but sometimes it's just too much for what I'm used to. I did buy sea salt because I hear it tastes a little better, and I'd like to buy some Himalayan rock salt too. I do love making soup this time of year!!