2 months I've started and still no results...

Options
Hi everyone,
I am writing this hoping you don't lash out at me for being this impatient but I've been surfing around MFP and I found out so many posts where people had incredible changes within 2 months, but for me...nothing!

I am 5'4" for 147 lbs and I went from being a nonsense eating couch potato to working out 4-6 times a week and following a pretty healthy high protein/low carbs diet. Although I do admit I'm clearly WAY more strong, comparing my workout notes from the beginning, physically there's no results. I am not dropping weight nor am I getting thinner.

So my question is, is it relatively normal? Did you guys in my situation start dropping weights after a while or am I doing something really wrong?

Thank you so much for your replies. :)

Replies

• brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Nowhere in your post do you indicate if you're at a caloric deficit or not.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,901 Member
    Options
    Nowhere in your post do you indicate if you're at a caloric deficit or not.

Yes ... this.

Are you eating fewer calories than you're burning?

• tomtwoswans921
    tomtwoswans921 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I understand your frustration. I had a similar experience .
    You have made a difficult choice , change is hard. Absolutely changing the fuel you put in your body and exercising is a wonderful thing regardless of changes on the scale or tape measure . In my case it took 3 months to reprogram my body, then small weight loss but a significant change in my body fat ratio, another 3 months little change in weight but my shape started to change, now after 9 months I am seeing weight dropping.
    I see this as a new lifestyle choice, not something I will do for a while and go back to what got me unfit and overweight in the first place.
    Continue to be active, honour your body by eating well, love life and most importantly love yourself.

If you are fit strong and healthy, who cares about the numbers. Your body will find its balance , you will feel good.
    Change is hard, but you have made a good change.
    Keep up the good choices
    Tom
  • tomtwoswans921
    Options
    Hi everyone,
    I am writing this hoping you don't lash out at me for being this impatient but I've been surfing around MFP and I found out so many posts where people had incredible changes within 2 months, but for me...nothing!

I am 5'4" for 147 lbs and I went from being a nonsense eating couch potato to working out 4-6 times a week and following a pretty healthy high protein/low carbs diet. Although I do admit I'm clearly WAY more strong, comparing my workout notes from the beginning, physically there's no results. I am not dropping weight nor am I getting thinner.

So my question is, is it relatively normal? Did you guys in my situation start dropping weights after a while or am I doing something really wrong?

• tomtwoswans921
    Options
    Hi everyone,

Sorry forgot to say

Important , don't stress, cortisol ( the stress hormone) is the enemy of weight loss. Take some time to relax,
    Maybe mixing up some cardio with strength will help.

Hope this helped
    Tom
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Congrats on making so much progress in your strength training! It's a sign though that you probably are eating close to maintenance. If it's any consolation, one of my trainers insisted on doing it that way. Put on the muscle first and THEN diet away the body fat. Increase your deficit for the big reveal.
  • lemonychild
    lemonychild Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    overeating
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

How are you measuring your portions? It sounds like you could be eating more than you think.
  • jobidaashiek
    jobidaashiek Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!
    Thank you so so much for taking the time to reply!

I believe you are all right, even though I was really measuring and preparing everything, quite often I would eat something here and there at night, and it made a bigger impact than I thought.
    Can't do much about the stress, tis my final year, internships and final exams struggle are too real, haha. I don't get much sleep either, even though I try. I tend to wake up in the middle of the night...
    But I'm working on it!

But yes, for a few days I've been trying to be really consistent, let's hope I make it! :D

Love x

• phenomenal_woman2016
    Options
    Congratulations on sticking with it for 2 months, impressive! Sometimes the scale may not move quickly but how do you feel? More energy? You already mentioned stronger so you are making progress and muscle weighs more than fat so I bet you may not realize that your body has slowly been changing. Just keep mixing up your workouts and as others mentioned...make sure you are taking in enough calories throughout the day. Good luck!
  • 4billiejo
    4billiejo Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You are doing great. I would also add to the comments to do measurements. I can honestly say, I was so frustrated after a bootcamp I did for 12 weeks straight, eating squeaking clean and working out 6 days a week. I only lost 7 pounds. Man, I was ticked. Then we did measurements and I had lost 4 1/2 inches around my waist alone. I swore I was not thinner, but the tape measure said otherwise.
    I am back on the wagon again, after a crazy couple of years of having to fight the state to adopt my grandbaby, my brother sustaining a traumatic brain injury (age 39) and my dad getting cancer. Last year, I lost my dad in August, finalized the adoption in October, and lost my brother in November.
    I had to get back to me. I focused on only 5%, but it was less overwhelming than focusing on "100 pounds". It has taken me 6 months (started in April) to get off 18 pounds! Man, it's been frustrating. BUT....I GOT OFF 18 pounds and now I can say hey, now I have 82 pounds or NO, I will say, I have another 15 or 5% to get there, then it will be only 67 pounds to go!
    LITTLE GOALS REPEATEDLY reinforce my self belief and reward my efforts.
    Now that you know my life story, lol, have a great day and believe in yourself! You are worth it.
  • jobidaashiek
    Options
    Congratulations on sticking with it for 2 months, impressive! Sometimes the scale may not move quickly but how do you feel? More energy? You already mentioned stronger so you are making progress and muscle weighs more than fat so I bet you may not realize that your body has slowly been changing. Just keep mixing up your workouts and as others mentioned...make sure you are taking in enough calories throughout the day. Good luck!

Thanks a lot for your kind words. :)
  • jobidaashiek
    Options
    4billiejo wrote: »
    You are doing great. I would also add to the comments to do measurements. I can honestly say, I was so frustrated after a bootcamp I did for 12 weeks straight, eating squeaking clean and working out 6 days a week. I only lost 7 pounds. Man, I was ticked. Then we did measurements and I had lost 4 1/2 inches around my waist alone. I swore I was not thinner, but the tape measure said otherwise.
    I am back on the wagon again, after a crazy couple of years of having to fight the state to adopt my grandbaby, my brother sustaining a traumatic brain injury (age 39) and my dad getting cancer. Last year, I lost my dad in August, finalized the adoption in October, and lost my brother in November.
    I had to get back to me. I focused on only 5%, but it was less overwhelming than focusing on "100 pounds". It has taken me 6 months (started in April) to get off 18 pounds! Man, it's been frustrating. BUT....I GOT OFF 18 pounds and now I can say hey, now I have 82 pounds or NO, I will say, I have another 15 or 5% to get there, then it will be only 67 pounds to go!
    Now that you know my life story, lol, have a great day and believe in yourself! You are worth it.
    4billiejo wrote: »

First of all, I'm very sorry about such a late reply. I wasn't even sure what to say, you my dear are one incredibly strong woman, so much respect for you. Really, it's the people like you who don't let the earth crush them even if they fall real hard but are willing to rise back that inspire me. Congratulations on all you achieved and best of luck for everything you're about to. Rock them. :)
    Lots of love x