Trying to stay healthy with fybromyalgia. Advice?

Options
Hello everyone!

I'm new to this whole thing. I never had problems staying healthy in the past, but I recently became ill with fybromyalgia. It is very restricting. I am looking for support and and any tips on fighting through chronic pain and maintaining a healthy lifestyle.

Thanks all.

Replies

• Derf_Smeggle
    Derf_Smeggle Posts: 610 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Two of the simplest things I've seen in treating patients with fibromyalgia at my acupuncture clinic is that folks with fibromyalgia who pay attention to their eating habits and get some very gentle exercise feel better.

If you stack bloated, gas-y discomfort from eating poorly on top of the fibromyalgia, I see it cause more distress, and stress related fatigue. I'm a huge fan of promoting eating more vegetables and more variety of vegetables for the fiber, vitamins, and minerals. I do think the limiting (not eliminate, just limit) the amount of processed grains (cereal, noodles, bread) and dairy (cheese, milk, yogurt, ice cream, etc) is helpful for some patients. I do see patients begin to feel better longer as they shift their calorie intake over to more fresh produce and meat with some fat in it.

The other thing is that people with fibro have to move and get the blood circulating. It is a feedback loop when fibro-folks are inactive because of the pain, which leads to more pain, which leads to less activity. This means go for a 20 minute walk. Get up and do some simple calisthenics and stretching for 4 or 5 minutes four to five times a day. Start slow. Build into it slower.

I do see patients respond extremely well to acupuncture treatments. This is often what helps them over the hump, so to speak, of getting started with some life-style changes.
  • mousie1973
    mousie1973 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I will say as someone who has dealt with fibromyalgia for over 20 years... some of the stuff up above is good... some of it is not... I currently eat primal (low carb, high fat, medium protein) and yes i do find that does help to an extent... but each person is different.

as far as the whole "oh you need to exercise more"... that is bull.. most doctors will tell you that you have to exercise and move... and it will "magically" make the fibro go away... No that doesn't work. I used to walk a lot and such... i don't walk too much today (I will occasionally go for walks but by no means was i any better when i was walking every day.. in fact a lot of the time it was the opposite) Also, do not believe the people that say "oh lose weight and your fibro will go away... " In my case (and again Your milage may vary) i have lost almost 40 pounds and my fibro has gotten worse... I am not saying "don't lose weight", I am simply saying don't believe the people that say that losing weight will make it disappear.

I have never tried acupuncture treatments so that i can't speak with...
  • VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Everyone's experience is going to be different. What helped me was getting up and moving. Yes, I know it hurts, and it's exhausting, but exercise really does help.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    My mom has fibro really bad and she swears by cardio exercise. She goes to jazzercise at least 5 days a week and also hits a curves.

One of my girlfriends also has fibro and in addition to taking up running she gave up dairy. I'm generally against giving up a whole food group but she said she feels much better. Maybe she was lactose intolerant and didn't know it or something.
  • Clironka
    Clironka Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Vitamin D supplements helped me enormously
  • mousie1973
    mousie1973 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    As @VioletRojo said.. everyone's experience is different... you really need to figure out what works for you specifically... every one is different and there are a lot of different thoughts...

I was specifically saying what does and doesn't work for me...
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,300 Member
    Options
    It is all about what is right for you. It will be trial and error. I gave up going through the NHS as I had not got anywhere for too many years. I consulted a nutritionist to cut through everything for myself. I felt at 65 its get things right, its now or never. Supported by blood tests initiated by the nutritionist we discovered among other things high levels of yeast based inflammation something general medicine does not recognise it can underpin so much, CF, Fibro, Thyroid, immune system issues and more.

I'm one month in, on a 4 to 6 month exclusion of foods with added sugar. Its been dramatic, even though I had already excluded so much for good reasons. For the first three weeks there was no fruit and for as long as it lasts no yeast which means bread, alcohol or grapes as well as no pineapple as it is high in sugar. I'm experiencing benefits. My residual pain is past, I breath better, nails stronger, my sweet tooth a thing of the past, I don't react to perfumes and chemicals as much as I did, true, there is still a long way to go before I attend a concert again. It will get harder in the next few weeks especially with all the temptations of birthdays, Christmas and New Year treats timed perfectly just as things may get tougher. I'm 12 lb down, now, measurements changing to the good. (I had already improved without pain relief and salicylate in foods, (plants use it as a protection from molds and mildews) I had lost some weight apx 50 lb, but needed something more for the last 50 or so to be well)

All the best, do what is right for you. Especially if you do the unconventional. Please what ever you do please don't leave it as long as I did.
  • Derf_Smeggle
    Derf_Smeggle Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I'm going to clarify my point about moving because I feel mousie1973 took what I said a bit farther than what I meant.

The light moving and activity I am talking about is in no way meant to be a "magic" cure for 100% of the fibro population, nor am I talking about weight loss in regards to movement and activity.

Instead, I believe that there is a positive effect in getting up and exercising gently for the benefits we see in reducing stress hormones, improving circulation, mechanically stimulating/moving lymphatic fluid, and providing alternate stimuli to "gosh I ache".

I agree that fibro patients need to be very careful and cognizant about not over doing it.
  • jacquelinewhittaker7
    Options
    My advice is don't hate yourself for the days when pain got in the way of eating well. When I'm in a flair up, I eat badly, fibromyalgia flairs seem to make me hungry and I can't exercise, so the weight piles on. Also some medications cause fluid retention. I'm looking to get a vibration massage machine to help with the days I can't exercise, but the good ones cost a lot. I'm also looking for fibro friends on here so we can help each other, so anyone wanting to add me as a friend would be great.
  • phizzgig
    phizzgig Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all of you for thoughtful responses. I really did not expect all of the great advice. I have been trying very hard to eat well and keep moving, within reason. I have found that I am very sensitive to gluten and have completely eliminated it from my diet. I try to avoid any processed foods and stick mostly to water, coffee, and red wine. Always take my vitamins. I want to make sure I get support and give all that I can to make sure we can a all stay healthy and happy.
    Good luck everyone. Add me!!
  • Clironka
    Clironka Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Phizzgig - do hope you are finding your way to coping. As I said earlier, Vitamin D supplements helped me a lot. I also found that giving up my much loved COFFEE, improved me very quickly, I now have some pain free days, hoping that weight loss will bring even more improvement.
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who suffers FM and she has found that swimming or even a twenty minute dip in open water all year round helps her to exercise gently by swimming or treading water in the cold water which helps to deaden the pain receptors while moving. The pain relief extends beyond the swim for a while also.
    It sounds extreme but it seems to work. Obviously do this with a competent swimmer companion and take it steady, starting ideally in summer when the sea or open water is relatively warmer and go from there.
  • FLCindy
    FLCindy Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Eliminating dairy, gluten, sugar and processed foods really help to reduce the pain. Green juices/smoothies really helps fibro pain. I swear by kale. Since fibro may be virus involved, bananas have a protein seems to reduce the flare ups. Heating pads also help. If you celebrate Christmas, put them on your list. I have 3 in my house which are always ready to go. Make sure your doctor checks your Vit. D levels. Light exercise also reduces pain and helps your mood. Eliminating stress from your life can make a world of difference. Creative endeavors and helping others helps to divert your mind from the pain. However, don't over do it.
  • FLCindy
    FLCindy Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Oh, I forgot: schedule your time. If a shower exhausts you, allow time for the shower, then rest time. Google "The Spoon Theory". You'll learn how to use your energy. Don't aim for any kind of perfection.