How many calories a day should I be on?

Options
Hey guys :)
So I have a lot to lose, between 80-94lbs. I'm just curious as to how many calories a day people generally aim for when loosing weight.
No judgements please, obviously everyone is different and everybody goes at their own pace. I'm currently on 1,200 a day and I lost 7lb the first week, but this second week I'm just not budging. Should I be worried or have any less calories?
Any comments would be great, but keeping it nice and non judgemental please :)

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Start here: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

Figure out your BMR and TDEE (which are based on your height, weight, age, gender etc.) and go from there.
  • nijowe93
    nijowe93 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    As you problably have noticed, weight loss isn't linear. I don't know how much you weigh, how tall you are etc, but the fact that you lost 7lbs probably meens you have a large enough deffecit. I suggest you keep your calories the same for the time being, and rather lower them if you don't lose any weight in the coming weeks.

Asuming you want to keep the weight off it is probably a good idea to keep your calories as high as possible while still losing weight, as this will be easier in the long run.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I'm a really big fan of these two posts. I think they explain why you can't expect weight loss to be linear really well:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10084670/it-is-unlikely-that-you-will-lose-weight-consistently-i-e-weight-loss-is-not-linear/p1

And

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10196160/scale-stress-syndrome/p1

Long story short, it's only week two. You made a lot of changes and you need to give it another week or two to let your body catch up.
  • Elz0710
    Elz0710 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I'll have a look. I'll keep sticking to the 1,200 I think for a few weeks :)
  • joinn68
    joinn68 Posts: 480 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Yep! Happened to me. 4 lbs down the first week. 0lb the following. then -4.4 and then +0.6... You'll go mental.
    Diannethegeek as sent you some great links already. I'll just add keep it up for two months, and see where you are then (you'll be down and more motivated!). You'll also figure out your pattern if there is any (I figured out for example that i don't lose and even gain a tiny bit if it's my ToM week so I am cool with that now). 1200 is already pretty low so don't be tempted for one second to go lower.
    I am totally new to all this as well so I can only encourage you to stay at it.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    1200 is pretty low. 80lbs to lose, I would think you could lose at a pretty safe and consistent rate eating more than that.
    Everyone is different, you are right about that but I would advise you to find a number that you are content with, can do for long-term and be patient. Do not worry you will succeed. Eating the minimum and not seeing results can be discouraging. Log accurately and keep at it.
    If you are ok eating 1200, go for it and keep at it. I like food too much so I opted to lose at a slower rate, was just easier to stick to.
    Good luck
  • Elz0710
    Elz0710 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it depends. Some days I'm completely fine on 1200, other days I feel hungry.
    I think I might stick at the 1200 but then if I do feel like I need more every now and then I don't have to feel too guilty having a bit more.
    The links were great, good encouragement.
    Oh last week was my ToM so maybe that had something to do with not losing too.