Basic principles of healthy eating

Options
Hopefully this works since I opened my blog for anyone to read. I copied over a few documents in my blog that my nutritionist sent me when I first started seeing her. Its pretty basic information but it might be helpful or at least an interesting read to those looking for a place to start or how to improve in their diet.

EDIT: My eating plan is based around PCOS and insulin resistance. As one user pointed out, this way of eating may not be right for you. I still feel it's good basic information though. :wink:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/murphysraven/view/first-principle-of-healthy-eating-112688

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/murphysraven/view/second-principle-of-healthy-eating-112689

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/murphysraven/view/third-principle-of-healthy-eating-112690

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/murphysraven/view/portions-and-serving-sizes-112695

Replies

• Diana35bha
    Diana35bha Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing those links, I shall be very interested to read them! :smile:
  • mynameisuntz
    mynameisuntz Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    3. Always Combine Carbohydrate with Protein/ Fat Serving

Unnecessary and yields no benefit to someone who separates macronutrients among meals.
  • murphysraven
    Options
    3. Always Combine Carbohydrate with Protein/ Fat Serving

Unnecessary and yields no benefit to someone who separates macronutrients among meals.

My way of eating might not be right for everyone but that doesn't mean its incorrect for the way I should be eating. I have seen results on the plan with my nutritionist and will continue to follow her advice.
  • mynameisuntz
    Options
    My way of eating might not be right for everyone but that doesn't mean its incorrect for the way I should be eating. I have seen results on the plan with my nutritionist and will continue to follow her advice.
    Let me pick your brain for a second:

How do you know that coupling macronutrients together for your meals has had *any* role in your results? How do you know that your results can't be explained solely by eating a proper level of calories, macronutrients, and whole, micronutrient-rich foods?
  • kmccall42
    kmccall42 Posts: 13
    Options
    hey,,links are gr8 help thank you xx
  • murphysraven
    Options
    Let me pick your brain for a second:

How do you know that coupling macronutrients together for your meals has had *any* role in your results? How do you know that your results can't be explained solely by eating a proper level of calories, macronutrients, and whole, micronutrient-rich foods?

Scientifically? I don't. But I do trust a certified nutritionist who has experience in helping women with PCOS and insulin resistance lose weight. My eating plan has helped me curb cravings, feel better, make better food choices and lose weight. It feels like a plan I can do for the rest of my life and not some quick fix gimmic.

Everyone has a right to their own opinion and their own path to a healthier person. I might not agree with some of the diet plans some people on MFP are choosing to follow, but that doesn't make me any less supportive of their choices.
  • mynameisuntz
    Options
    Scientifically? I don't. But I do trust a certified nutritionist who has experience in helping women with PCOS and insulin resistance lose weight. My eating plan has helped me curb cravings, feel better, make better food choices and lose weight. It feels like a plan I can do for the rest of my life and not some quick fix gimmic.

Everyone has a right to their own opinion and their own path to a healthier person. I might not agree with some of the diet plans some people on MFP are choosing to follow, but that doesn't make me any less supportive of their choices.
    I agree. I was just asking. Being insulin resistant can definitely change the way you eat/balance macronutrients than someone who is more insulin sensitive.

For those who don't have any sort of metabolic issues/clinical conditions such as insulin resistance, I would say coupling macronutrients for each meal has no bearing on body composition. But as you said: do what works for you, and if this works for you, kudos and good luck.
  • Papillon22
    Papillon22 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for sharing info from a professional, you know, somebody who actually studied and has experience in working with this. And more importantly, somebody who is not interested in pushing their opinions down your throat, but actually explaining why she thinks the way she thinks.

A lot of people on these boards could learn from her.

Thanks again!
  • cassondraragan
    cassondraragan Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I'm really interested in these links, especially b/c of my own PCOS issues. thanks for listing!