Some energy boosting foods for long shifts?

Options
Hey guys!
Does anyone have any foods they have foods they have found to be healthy and good for boosting energy? I work at the hospital where I rarely get a chance to sit down for about 10 to 12 hours at a time and usually snack whenever we have a moment on whatever is available in our lounge. I don't really get a lunch break and may have 5 to 10 minutes to eat, so something not requiring much prep during my break would be helpful.

Replies

• CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    If you share my near-inappropriate love for Avocados, I'd start there. The prep is: cut open around pit, slice while within skin, scrape out with a spoon, add salt(preference). I have an avocado on hand for whenever I feel the least bit poorly. Avocados are high in monounsaturated fats (a very healthy kind of fat) and fiber. They definitely give me a boost when I need quick energy and easy prep as well as my constant requirement of deliciousness.
  • katypuerta
    katypuerta Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Zucchini pasta with pesto Sauce!
  • KT_3009
    KT_3009 Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    Avocado on toast is a great energy booster, gives you plenty of healthy fats, carbs and protein. Small packages of nuts and corn thins spread with almond or peanut butter :)
  • TrickyDisco
    TrickyDisco Posts: 2,869 Member
    Options
    Nuts, seeds and dried fruit are easy to pack for work and snack on, will give you lots of nutrients and energy. Could take granola bars and a banana too, no prep.
  • cosmichvoyager
    cosmichvoyager Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Roasted yam with a pat of butter in the microwave to warm up.
  • tsscholten
    tsscholten Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I like those REV sandwiches in deli department. Gives sustained energy for quite a while without prep. High in protein. :)
  • ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I had the same situation working nights at a large hospital -( I knew which nurses stations had the best coffee) and later on at a cardiology clinic. A good quality protein bar and apple work good for a pick- me - up. Hard boiled eggs. Stay away from simple carbs because of the crash. You can stash meat & veggies in the fridge. Sandwiches with Ezekiel bread & meat. Eat a big meal before shift - Fuel Baby - Eastcoast Jim
  • hekla90
    hekla90 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    You legally are entitled to your full break. If I feel I need it you bet my charge is watching my patients while I take a break to eat. Sometimes I choose to skip my break because I don't want to stay late charting but legally they have to give you a break. Anyways, I always try to bring nuts or something, a protein bar for an emergency quick meal, and lately bringing in a bag of cherry tomatoes. I love those so much... I love the mini packages of Justin's nut butters for quick pick me ups, other than that I usually bring left overs. And Diet Coke.
  • mscoutable
    mscoutable Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Just a heads up, I am the physician's assistant, so I break when they break. If they don't stop, I don't stop either.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    Yeah avocados are the best! I just cut in half, remove the pit, and add salt and eat right out of the skin with a spoon. It's like it comes with its own bowl!

I CAN'T BELIEVE this didn't occur to me... that's genius! How do you control for the weight of the skin? Or do you not weigh (no judgement, just would answer the question for me)?
  • CrosbyMcDowell
    CrosbyMcDowell Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Kind bars. When I'm super busy (I'm a PA at an 1100 bed hospital) I just take a bite as I'm walking to the next floor/pt room, then back into a baggie in my pocket. Also, apple + kombucha tea = filling snack/mini meal.
  • ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    mscoutable wrote: »
    Just a heads up, I am the physician's assistant, so I break when they break. If they don't stop, I don't stop either.

That's the way it works sometimes - I used to work nights at a 900+ bed hospital and was on call for the whole facility. so you eat when you can - At the Cardiology Clinic sometimes I couldn't break for lunch until 2-3 P My breakfast was a 6 - I kept protein bars & almonds in my desk to keep going, and sometimes the cracker packages for the patients after their stress tests - Eastcoast Jim