Panettone - whole wheat vs coconut flour ?

Options
Hey guys so I decided I will make Panettone this Christmas but want to bake one before with either whole wheat or coconut flour to try it as I only had white flour one in the past... Anyone tried substituting flour in cakes? What's your experience? Also I never ever cooked with coconut flour, does it taste very different ? What's your experience and suggestion

Replies

• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Why are you trying to substitute out the white flour?
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Panettone is one thing I wouldn't want to mess with...
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Are you bringing Panettone to a Christmas party?
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I would stick with the original recipe, however if you absolutely must change it, use wheat flour.
  • csillabrimer978
    csillabrimer978 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Well I'm trying to cut calories and pick the healthier option where I can../ just don't want to mess it up if it's not going to come out right
  • csillabrimer978
    Options
    Thank you guys for the answers I guess I should stick with the white flour then, if no good experiences with alternatives
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    Whole wheat flour tends to create denser and heavier items - often it's better to only substitute a maximum of half normal flour for it. Don't know about coconut flour, but I'm assuming that without gluten it wont rise properly.

Unless you've used those flours much in baking before, and are familiar with the issues, I'd stay away, and use a recipe you're familiar with.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    In my experience, there are some things that are worth the calories and trying to sub them out for lower calories ends in sadness :) It's once a year. Enjoy your panettone!
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Probably best to simply work the calories into your allotment. White flour isn't evil, and a lot of Christmas-y foods when messed with are just...
    ...sad. ;)
  • csillabrimer978
    Options
    Yes I guess you guys are right - just going to have to allocate enough calories and enjoy the real deal!
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    For holiday treats that you have only on occasion, stick with the original recipe. In regular baking, you can usually sub out part of the flour for whole wheat flour. They're still the same calories and there's really only a marginal nutritional difference.

As for coconut flour? Oh boy, that is not a direct sub. It needs a lot more moisture, and it would really mess up panettone. It's best to look up recipes already created specifically using it.

I'm glad you've decided to go with the real deal.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I've made panettone. I agree that it's a treat and I don't think the texture will work with a different flour.
  • Thowe92
    Thowe92 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    In my experience, there are some things that are worth the calories and trying to sub them out for lower calories ends in sadness :) It's once a year. Enjoy your panettone!

Agreed. You don't ever mess wit a traditional Christmas and New Year recipe. It only comes by once a year. Just enjoy it and be on your way.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    White flour and other flours are not equal conversions. You can only sub a little bit for the other.
  • fruitydelicious
    fruitydelicious Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I just started cooking with coconut flour and you use much less then in traditional wheat flour recipes. What you do depends on the goal you are trying to achieve. You could make a traditional one and then search for ideas on how to alter the recipe...... But will probably take some trial and error