Sugar/Protein Overdose?

Options
I consistently go over sugar and protein. Sugar I can somewhat understand but it’s not like I go way over the top.. Yesterday I went -37 in sugar (almost double at my goal of 45g).. I consumed quite a bit of protein having consumed 135g of my daily goal of 83g. I do go to the gym and lift 5 days a week so is the protein intake justified?

(If anybody is looking at today, I wouldn’t judge my nutrition based off of lunch. My company catered Moe’s and I refused to pass it up.)

Replies

• dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Unless you have issues with your kidneys, going over on protein is a good thing. There are many advantages of protein in the diet.

As far as sugars go, as long as you are close most days you should be fine. If you are insulin sensitive, it can mess with you if you consume too much sugar, but for most people, just watch your calories. You can get your sugars down by cutting out processed foods, and limiting your fruits to 1 or 2 per day.
  • Fleur933
    Fleur933 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I was just going to post the same thing. I have been 'over' on protien pretty much every day for like a week and a half. I blame my new found addiction for chobani yogurts. But I've been doing some free weighs etc....so I felt it was justified to.
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    If you are trying to build muscle the current standards are .7-1.0 grams of protein per lb you weigh

So if you weigh 175 you can safely (and effectively for your workout style) consume 122.5-175 g of protein per day.

I know this is coming from a girl, but my boyfriend body builds and I get amazed at the amount of protein he consumes.

Im also rediculously bad about keeping up on medical and weight loss research between my Dr Uncle and other family members in the medical field
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    On a side note your profile is incredibly confusing...... Sorry had to look and your posted as male but mom on a mission and Im royally confused
  • Spayrroe
    Spayrroe Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    So, after the previous poster, I had to go check out your profile. Props to you sir, I was thoroughly amused. :)
  • CommandaPanda
    CommandaPanda Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Okay, I'm feeling pretty bad about my dinner today. Not going into details about it...

Thank you all for the information about protein, I will take that to heart and consideration when eating in the future.

My profile.. Well if you go to change your quote it will give you examples... "Mom on a mission" was one of those examples. I didn't know what else to put other than "Average Joe looking to house a body like Tyler McPeak" sooo I opted for Mom on a mission as the example was given.

I certainly don't intend to offend anybody (if I've offended any mom's who truly are on a mission)
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,108 Member
    Options
    Commanda, I'm just glad I finally saw you! I've heard tell of this young fella with a "Mom on a Mission" in his/ her/ whatever/ profile :laugh:

Someone was commenting on one of my profile comments and mentioned you as the other one who had made her giggle. Save yourself the time, though, my profile is set to "Private". . . . .

.......The statement in question on mine is : "0 X 3 = 0. No, really."

Don't ask me why it made Loopytoucan laugh....but she liked it. :wink:
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Your diary doesn't look bad. I would kick those cereal bars to the curb since they seem to be causing your sugar spikes. At the very least try not to have more than one a day. I know your protein is over but honestly I don;t think it's bad for a guy.
  • CommandaPanda
    CommandaPanda Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    (I'm assuming you're referring to a time before I gorged nasty food).

Yeah, I didn't realize that the cereal bars were going to be so bad. I bought those because I couldn't get breakfast in before my workout which is right before i go to work so I got the cereal bars and whatnot to snack on throughout the day