How do you "trick" your family into eating healthy?

Options
pixieval
pixieval Posts: 64 Member
I've noticed some of my friends having problems getting their family on the healthy bandwagon with them lately, and even though the people in our household might not need to lose weight, its still easier for us to lose weight if they are eating healthy right along side of us.

a few tricks I have

Frozen Grapes- found this out by accident, but my husband will snack on these instead of buying chips

Blueberries for treats- my daughter has a massive sweet tooth, and always is asking for something sweet(gramma's house is full of sweets!) I can trick her sometimes with blueberries in lue of sweets.

Berry shake- I like to make my family a shake in the blender of just greek yogurt, soy milk and a package of frozen berries. Its super healthy, low cal, and tastes like an ice cream shake!

Ground Turkey breast- I'm working on trading out all of our ground beef recipes with Ground Turkey Breast. Make sure you get the breast, and not just turkey. The flavor is totally different, so I'm still learning my way around the spice rack.

Replies

• LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I am in charge of the grocery buying. I don't buy junk foods. If they are hungry, they will eat what has been prepared/provided.

I refuse to provide food to them that is garbage. It's not all about weight loss, it's also about learning healthy eating early in life so your kids won't be grownups trying to learn it for the first time like I was, like so many people here are.
  • SimplyFreckled
    SimplyFreckled Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    for the longest time I couldn't get my kids to eat a veggie. So I would puree them and put it in the Mac and Cheese. tasted Fine and they had no clue!!
  • godroxmysox
    godroxmysox Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    mmm, i love frozen grapes!
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,344 Member
    Options
    a food processor, usually if you grind it up and put it in they never know it's there, add veggies to mealoaf, pasta sauces, any sauces really. Get creative. this is actually more helpful to do to men and teens since they are usually already set in their ways
  • rhapsody527
    Options
    I sneak chopped up veggies into just about everything. When I am making pasta, I put carrots, red peppers, celery, and onion into the food processor and use that as the base before adding the tomatoes. I use whole wheat pasta instead of regular, and buy ground turkey and turkey bacon instead of the regular versions. I keep tons of fruits and veggies in the house for snacks. My daughter loves any kind of dip, so I will give her hummus or peanut butter to dip her fruits and veggies in.
  • monkeysmum
    monkeysmum Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    grate carrots courgettes aubergines etc into foods like cottage pie or mash

but yes i also have the eat what i prepare or do without where my kids are concerned hubby too if i make i meal i know one hates i will make a differant meal for them but i wont let them fill up on snacks or other foods if they dont eat what is made
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I have had good luck with kids (not my own) and roasted veggies. Especially if I cut zuchinni and summer squash into "veggie fingers."

My nieces and nephews will pretty much eat what is offered to them. My partner's nieces and nephews are a little pickier, but they all ate at least some of their veggies this way.
  • jreese5226
    jreese5226 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I add spinach to blueberry smoothies with no one being the wiser.
  • pixieval
    pixieval Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Awesome ideas! I love the idea of puree and sneaking veggies in!

I have no issues with sending my 3 year old to be bed without dinner here and there if she won't eat what we've made, but there are times I will give in and make her a separate meal, but only if she tries what we've made. But I'm lucky that I have a 3 year old who asks for a salad everynight before dinner! lol

my husband is very much of a "if its in front of me, I will eat it" so its easy to get him to eat good meals. But when he works late, or is in the field all day, he'll come home with snacks like cookies or chips. I can't keep all of it out of my house since he's not afraid of a grocery store, but I do my best.
  • LiciaHarry
    LiciaHarry Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I was just honest with the kids (7 and 13) and told them the truth about what food does to them. The kids are now refined sugar-free and gluten-free with the aim of being grain-free eventually. My 7 year old is very "on top of things" when we shop now, reading labels and making sure that sugar is not part of the food that we buy. My 13 year old has let her friends know that she's doing this for her health and they try to tempt her - but she sticks to her guns now that she knows what the health consequences will be.
  • ShrinkingNinja
    ShrinkingNinja Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Just tell them they can't eat the healthy stuff because it is for your diet and they will eat it all gone. At least that is how it works in my house. LOL
  • 1FitMom326
    1FitMom326 Posts: 228
    Options
    Put veggies in a food processor and mixed with ground turkey for lettuce wraps. They loved it.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I've just slowly brought mine over to the dark side. ;) For example; several years ago I began milling my own flour and baking all of our bread. We already made all other baked goods from scratch but this was the last bastion to fall. Homemade bread from freshly milled flour is so amazing I had no issues from the family when we made the switch. Over the course of time I slowly started replacing some of the white flour with whole wheat flour in other baked goods. Now the kids feel that cookies made with white flour are "pasty and gross!"

Smoothies are another way of sneaking in the good stuff. We do green smoothies with a base of spinach, kale, broccoli, chard or lettuce and then add fruit, sometimes yogurt, flax seed, chia seed, nuts, rocks, twigs, small woodland creatures...you get the idea. You can hide a lot of stuff in a smoothie! Same with soup! My husband says I practice "vegetable subterfuge" and I do! One day someone was talking about rutabagas and he commented that he'd never had one. "Oh yes he has" I declared! "Several times in fact!" He just shook his head in defeat.

I don't buy cereal, crackers, chips, pop, boxed foods and try to steer clear of as much processed stuff as possible. If it's not in its natural state then any processing it goes through needs to happen in my kitchen (the bread for example.) My kids complained a bit when I took away cereal but they've gotten used to things and I did make them whole grain pancakes and waffles to ease the transition. We just slowly started phasing out the nasty syrup for fruit, real whipping cream on occasion or natural sweeteners/fruit purees as toppings.

They love fresh fruit and raw veggies. Salads are a big hit here and we make a lot of our own salad dressings. They LOVE quinoa. My kids range in age from 7 to 17 and my husband is (was) picky. When I met him he'd never tasted broccoli! In fact, the only vegetables he'd ever had was canned corn and canned green beans. :noway:

My way of eating isn't limited to weight loss (though that is obviously a goal.) I want to be healthy and I don't understand when people eat healthy but then buy the junk for their families. Isn't that just setting our kids up for weight issues later in life too? Or disease? It's my desire to start my kids out healthy, change the bad habits I'd already instilled in them and teach them about good nutrition and healthy attitudes toward food so they can avoid their parent's issues later in life. But one thing I've had to keep in mind is that just because I'm gung ho doesn't mean they're right there with me yet. So I subtly change things and don't cut out everything they love, just limit it or replace it with something healthy.

I bake and decorate cakes as a hobby (in fact I'm kind of procrastinating right this moment as I should be in there putting together a cake for our 4-H club's picnic tomorrow!) My family has come to expect some seriously decadent desserts and they get them, occasionally. My son let me experiment on his birthday cake this year (with the promise that we'd go get ice cream if it was nasty.) I made him a chocolate cake that had no flour and no sugar. It was made with black beans and Xylitol and Stevia. It had sliced strawberries in the layers and had buttercream frosting. You know what? The family loved it! It wasn't exactly like a regular flour, sugar type cake but it was good! The cake I'm about to go work on is really bad though with all the traditional fat and sugar in it. But it's going to a group gathering and we won't be eating more than one little piece so I'm okay with it. When I do make cakes at home I use a small 6" cake pan so there isn't much.

I think I'm rambling and writing a novel so I'll stop now. :bigsmile:
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    In my house, what I put on the plate (almost always healthy) is what is for dinner. If my kids don't like it they can go to bed. Call it tough love, but it works, and they all eat their broccoli and green beans..
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I don't think you should. My girls are raised and gone, but when raising them I just told them that I was not going to feed them food that was not good for them. I wasn't crazy about it, we had desserts and unhealthy food occasionally but it was clear that those were treats. I was the parent. That was my job.
  • Aurelina
    Aurelina Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I just say this is how it is... here's your bacon, your grassfed meat, pastured eggs, certified whole raw milk, veggies (butter for the cooked veggies), berries, and apples. There's the grill and there's your meat. I offer them cream and good eggs to make their own ice cream with a bit of maple syrup. It's a no processed food - no gluten zone. A treat is popcorn made with coconut oil and real butter or fries made with coconut oil or grassfed tallow. No chips, no pop, no juice, no packaged stuff. My boys are lean and strong. They can eat crap when they are out with friends or family. I'm not buying it. I made cauliflower crust pizza dough yesterday. HUGE hit.
  • kobzal
    kobzal Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    This isn't really a trick, but I have a small vegetable garden and some fruit trees. My 3 year old isn't very cooperative when it comes to eating her veggies at dinner. However, I was amazed to discover that if we go out to the garden to pick fruits and veggies together, they all go straight from the garden into her mouth! Spinach, kale, green beans, carrots, tomatoes, plums, oranges...if she picks it, she eats it.
  • GameOn2011
    GameOn2011 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I am in charge of the grocery buying. I don't buy junk foods. If they are hungry, they will eat what has been prepared/provided.

I refuse to provide food to them that is garbage. It's not all about weight loss, it's also about learning healthy eating early in life so your kids won't be grownups trying to learn it for the first time like I was, like so many people here are.

DITTO! I am the same way! If they are hungry, they will eat an apple, period! There are no other options!
  • GameOn2011
    GameOn2011 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    This isn't really a trick, but I have a small vegetable garden and some fruit trees. My 3 year old isn't very cooperative when it comes to eating her veggies at dinner. However, I was amazed to discover that if we go out to the garden to pick fruits and veggies together, they all go straight from the garden into her mouth! Spinach, kale, green beans, carrots, tomatoes, plums, oranges...if she picks it, she eats it.

Us too!! I love gardening with my children! Besides just simply NOT buying junk food, we have started gardening as a family. We are having a blast watching everything grow! I think that is wonderful and so happy you daughter is getting her veggies! Victory!