Paleo Recipes

Options
sarahbethfallon
sarahbethfallon Posts: 10 Member
So I've recently been reading up on Paleo foods and it's definitely something I want to try my best with as it makes complete sense to me to eat non processed foods.
My particular favourite so far has been hummus chicken which you literally just spread some hummus over your chicken and place in the oven for 25mins... Easy and delicious.
Any one else have any recipes that are paleo friendly and easy to make?

Replies

• norcogrrl
    norcogrrl Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Traditional hummus isn't paleo, as legumes aren't paleo and chickpeas are legumes. Do you have a nice hummus recipe that substitutes chickpeas for something that is paleo? I would give my eye teeth for such a recipe that was convincing and satisfying. :)
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I eat "me friendly" food. Everything is easy, has to be, because I have problems with motor skills. I don't usually use recipes, don't need many, because they are all just variations over the same themes - and what makes "non processed" so difficult, because I like a lot of food that is peeled, chopped, boiled, mixed etc. But as I process a lot of it myself, I can stay clear of most ultraprocessed foods, and that's what's important for health. My food doesn't have any particular labels, but it's meat, fish, eggs, milk, yogurt, cheese, butter, bread, beans, grains, pasta, vegetables, fruit, nuts, breakfasts, lunches, dinners and suppers.
  • creyes4182
    creyes4182 Posts: 29 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Well fed, I'm not doing paleo at the moment but when I was I used this. Foods so good!
  • BethM1015
    BethM1015 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I often make paleo beef stew in the crock pot. I use stew meat, canned tomatoes, carrots, butternut squash chunks, garlic & onions. I brown the meat but I don't dredge in flour. Trader Joe's has most of the ingredients ready to go. Balsamic chicken thighs is another easy paleo crock pot dish. Pork cutlets cook very fast and the leftovers can be cut up & tossed in a salad. I almost always have lean ground beef & salsa on hand. Ground beef & salsa can go in soup, salad, omelette, lettuce wrap... Hard boiled eggs are convenient & paleo. Chicken sausage is often salty but works well for quick dinner or lunch. Shrimp is another favorite although a little expensive. The meat & veg part of paleo is easy. Never eating bread or dairy is what made paleo difficult in the long run for me. I switched to 'clean' eating and calorie counting 6-7 weeks ago. I eat fewer nuts & avocados now & my portions of protein are smaller. I already lost 12 pounds & no longer feel guilty if I eat a tortilla & cheese. There are lots of great paleo recipes on line. Yesterday I googled paleo orange chicken & found several!
  • nickatine
    nickatine Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Paleo breakfast smoothie: 1 cup non dairy milk, half cup frozen mango, half a frozen banana, T almond butter, Handful of spinach, T cocoa powder, a few ice cubes (optional). Blend and consume.
  • Daisies4Days
    Daisies4Days Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Nomnompaleo.com and Well Fed cookbook are great. Use them frequently, although I'm no longer strict paleo.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Ah yes, I have found that diets based on zero science that where basically just made up because they sounded good are the best way to go.
  • ScorpionQwean
    ScorpionQwean Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I stuck to a Paleo diet for about 2 months along with working out with a personal trainer 2-3x a week. In 2 months, I dropped 4 sizes. There are so many variety of Paleo dishes! Unfortunately, I went off track and went back to my old ways...........however, I am starting my Paleo recipes again and seeking out a personal trainer...
    It truly works b/c there are very little carbs and no sugar to these recipes and those 2 things are the fat packers!!
  • ScorpionQwean
    ScorpionQwean Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Google Paleo recipes and you will find 100's of different and very tasty dishes! I never missed out on what I use to eat and I never felt better mentally and physically!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    As others have said, nomnompaleo is a good site. And as mentioned: hummus isn't really "paleo" as it's made almost entirely of legumes, which aren't considered paleo.

If legumes (beans, pulses) work for you, by all means eat them.
  • cmarangi
    cmarangi Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    AJ_G wrote: »
    Ah yes, I have found that diets based on zero science that where basically just made up because they sounded good are the best way to go.

Not sure where you were going with this, but it is a science backed way of eating. I don't prescribe to the whole "eat like my ancestors" thing, but read Robb Wolf, who has a huge science background, Loren Cordain and Weston Price. They all use science to back it up, but for me the proof that this works for me is the fact that I'm healthier, I'm no longer nauseous, rashy, or in pain. My body feels better, looks better and is stronger. I say live and let live, no need to get snippy.
  • AJ_G
    edited November 2015
    Options
    it is a science backed way of eating.

Can you go ahead and link to some scientific studies about paleo?

but for me the proof that this works for me is the fact that I'm healthier, I'm no longer nauseous, rashy, or in pain. My body feels better, looks better and is stronger.

Anecdotal
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

but for me the proof that this works for me is the fact that I'm healthier, I'm no longer nauseous, rashy, or in pain. My body feels better, looks better and is stronger.

Anecdotal
    perhaps once we could just let it be. Let the OP have their thread.
  • AJ_G
    Options

Anecdotal

OP started the thread and then hasn't responded to a single reply since, so it's really not even her thread anymore.
  • cmarangi
    cmarangi Posts: 131 Member
    Options

Anecdotal

I really wasn't trying to start a debate, but will finish off with this. I realize what I wrote was anecdotal, but in the end isn't that what matters to each individual? That's what I implied with "live and let live". I have lots of people in my life that call me a kook for eating like this, and that's okay, it works for me. I'm sure your anecdotal evidence is what has convinced you that the way you are eating is right for you. But since you asked, here isa link to lots of scientific papers that Professor Cordain has published and had reviewed. If you are truly interested, you should read the books by Robb Wolf and Mark Sisson, who is also very science heavy. Good luck!

http://thepaleodiet.com/research/
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

Anecdotal

OP started the thread and then hasn't responded to a single reply since, so it's really not even her thread anymore.
    Rationalizations are more important than sex.