Nutrition on the go

Options
I am looking for help in figuring out what ways I can redesign my diet based around my lifestyle.

Let me start by saying I have hypothyroidism and losing weight is, for me, near impossible. The one and only time I ever managed it was by eating a 90% raw diet. I also have a corn intolerance.

However, I am currently a college student and my schedule is incredibly packed. I do not have the time to devote to a raw lifestyle, nor the money. My choices right now are largely based on what is compact, travels easily, does not need to be kept cold, and tastes good enough I will eat it regularly. That last bit has ruled out vege chips or things like carrot stick snacks.

Here is what a typical day looks like:

Breakfast:
Coffee w/ cashew milk and brown sugar
2 Bananas

Lunch:
Coffee w/ cashew milk and brown sugar
Clif Bar

Snack:
Clif Bar

Dinner:
Full bag of butter lettuce with 6 oz chicken

This comes out to around 1600 calories. My doctor insists I'm getting way too many carbs from the Clif bars, but I don't know what to replace them with and still get the amount of protein she wants for me. I also will stress eat when doing homework. Snack bars keep me away from pizza, but still don't help my diet.

Replies

• pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    I would switch to pure protein bars as another cheap protein source. Quest is good, but expensive. You can't switch out those bars with whole food? Also, your diet does not seem like 1600 calories at all!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Instead of two bananas have a glass of cow milk or soy milk and one banana -- less sugar and more protein for the day.

Is there a reason for the cashew milk?
    There are tons of real food options beyond eating cliff bars twice a day.
  • Jesabelle15
    Jesabelle15 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Can you try nuts? Instead of cliff bars? Just a handful? Or soy milk or Greek zero yogurt with fruit addins? They have zero carb zero sugar Greek yogurt and it's good with strawberries! And has a good amount of protein if I remember right! Or maybe check around the protein bar aisle for a lower carb one! Or maybe an egg if you are able? Hard boiled you can keep in the fridge or pop in a fridge elsewhere... And for chips? I munch on Special K chips I think they are... Sour cream and sea salt... They're pretty low in everything and quite tasty if you eat just a few. I hope that helps! Good luck!
  • treehopper1987
    treehopper1987 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    How about tuna on the go? You can find them in convenient travel pouches. Also, I agree with the handful of nuts. You can make a trail mix too (easy from variety of nuts/dried fruits/candy). Hard-boiled eggs can be easy on the go, along with fruits, veggie sticks (such as carrots, celery, red peppers). You can always prep a lot on weekends or a day you aren't so busy, and have it ready to go through the week.
  • bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    tuna (they sell them in pouches)
    hardboiled eggs
    nuts
    fruit
    protein bars
    greek yogurt
    protein shakes
    string cheese
    popcorn
    jerky
    instant oatmeal

all perfect for busy days plus reasonably priced options.. don't think you should be eating more than one bar a day though. you could replace one of the bars with a whole foods option rather than a processed pre-packaged option.
  • phrankdatank
    phrankdatank Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'd cook real food and bring it with me.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Here's my list. Everything has to be portable for me, too. I agree with your doctor that your diet is carb heavy.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/jgnatca/view/mid-day-snacks-722504
  • mpat81
    mpat81 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different, but for me, one of the keys to weight loss was taking the time to prepare and eat my meals. That being said, there are tons of portable, healthy and delicious things you could try. My favorites are cottage cheese and fruit in the little cups, hummus and pita chips, hardboiled eggs, pickles, and single serving cheese like laughing cow. I would try to lay off the cliff bars if possible. They should be more of a supplement than a meal replacement IMO.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Instead of the cliff bars, I'd grab a cheese stick or baby bel cheese (they are both fine at room temp for several hours), and a handful of nuts or raw green beans.

Or premake a protein shake (I like body logix protein powder....it's cheap and tastes good mixed with water). Bring that with you in a water bottle and have an apple or something with it.

Honestly though, unless you have a medical condition, there's no need to count carbs.