Why are stomach exercises so hard?

Options
jmgj27
jmgj27 Posts: 531 Member
I'm fit and healthy and do a lot of running and sit ups, press ups etc.
Yesterday I did my first tums class- which was full of hot men and it REALLY hurt. I kept going- because of the hot men I confess- but I wanted to cry. I can also feel it today, although it's not too bad.
I know this just means that running 50kms a week doesn't strengthen your abs- although, actually, why not?- but just wanted some friendly support for my whinge!

Replies

• Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Men have more upper body strength compared to women. That's just how they are built. I would compare your ab workout skills to other women in the class.

My suggestion is to start a Power Yoga or Pilates class to work that core. That way it's a less intimidating environment with both men & women. It is good though that you are taking a new class--it will get better with time so my advice would be to stick with it (letting your body time to heal in between!)

:)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    There's some days they just KILL me. I don't do them in classes (mercifully) but with the Active Sports 2 "game" on the playstation. Sometimes, can knock out any leg raises, reverse crunches, flutter kicks, crunches, etc. they throw at me, other times, I'm screaming bloody murder and insulting the ancestors of my virtual trainer. Yes. I'm swearing at pixels.
  • Spayrroe
    Spayrroe Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Props for grinding through and really pushing yourself (and hey, hot guys in class would motivate my *kitten* to not give up! lol)!!

I'm not so fit, and I don't run, but I can do almost seven miles in 45 minutes on an elliptical, and yet when my trainer is like "let's hit those abs!" I cringe. I have to say, it makes me feel a bit better about all the trouble I have with the exercises knowing that someone as on track as you does too. I've gotten then hang of doing pretty much everything else, but when she decides to get creative with working the abs, it's always kinda sad.

Good luck!
  • jmgj27
    Options
    Props for grinding through and really pushing yourself (and hey, hot guys in class would motivate my *kitten* to not give up! lol)!!

I'm not so fit, and I don't run, but I can do almost seven miles in 45 minutes on an elliptical, and yet when my trainer is like "let's hit those abs!" I cringe. I have to say, it makes me feel a bit better about all the trouble I have with the exercises knowing that someone as on track as you does too. I've gotten then hang of doing pretty much everything else, but when she decides to get creative with working the abs, it's always kinda sad.

Good luck!

Definitely makes me feel better to know it's not just me! I mean, I can do well above the army fitness level of 50 sit-ups in 2 minutes without batting an eyelid but those mental walking-up-the-stairs exercises. What the hell is wrong with all of you? Bloody masochists the lot of you!
  • Fernandomike
    Fernandomike Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    There's some days they just KILL me. I don't do them in classes (mercifully) but with the Active Sports 2 "game" on the playstation. Sometimes, can knock out any leg raises, reverse crunches, flutter kicks, crunches, etc. they throw at me, other times, I'm screaming bloody murder and insulting the ancestors of my virtual trainer. Yes. I'm swearing at pixels.

That's some funny stuff, right there. Anyway, guys hate doing abs too. I'd say that six-pack abs are the most desired feature for men who workout. The problem is that it's also the most tedious, grueling body part to work. I guess the good news is that visible abs are more a component of what you eat than how many crunches, etc., that you do.
  • jmgj27
    Options
    That's some funny stuff, right there. Anyway, guys hate doing abs too. I'd say that six-pack abs are the most desired feature for men who workout. The problem is that it's also the most tedious, grueling body part to work. I guess the good news is that visible abs are more a component of what you eat than how many crunches, etc., that you do.

I guess I just thought I'd burn off all the fat with the running and then reveal the stomach I've always wanted. Sigh. Why does nothing ever work out like you'd hoped! Now I have to work for the bloody abs as well (not abs per se, just a flat stomach actually).