Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Healthy snacks on a college budget

hello!
I'm a college freshman who is trying to lose 70 lbs and so far I've lost 14. I was wondering if anyone had any healthy snack or meal suggestions that are cheap or easy to make. I don't have a big budget beings in college but I don't want to eat chips or ramen like every other college kid. Anything is appreciated! Thank you!

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Do you have kitchen access? What about storage?
    http://www.skinnytaste.com
  • sweetcaroline19
    sweetcaroline19 Posts: 4 Member
    Yes I live in an apartment with a kitchen and pantry. I don't have a meal plan at the college and buy all food from the grocery store.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited November 2015
    Cool

Check out that site

Batch cook and get Tupperware
  • sweetcaroline19
    sweetcaroline19 Posts: 4 Member
    Thank you so much!
  • CrosbyMcDowell
    CrosbyMcDowell Posts: 113 Member
    Soup tends to be cheap and filling, especially if you're using lots of beans and grains. And you can freeze some for later. Celery and PB is still a great snack! Make your own trail mix. Just a few ideas!
  • MaggotPig
    MaggotPig Posts: 89 Member
    Buying frozen fruit/veg to bulk out meals will save ££ and waste compared to using fresh.

I don't know about over there, but here (UK) shopping at strategic times of day can save a lot - certain times of day (a couple of hours before closing usually), supermarkets reduce a lot of fresh produce - usually fruit/veg and bread etc. (possibly meat? I wouldn't know, I'm vegetarian!) that is going to go past it's "sell by" date that evening. If you can be a little bit organised and buy reduced veg, then cook it with that evenings meal, cook a few extra portions to freeze for another day. Batch cooking is your friend :smile: I'm not a student any more, but between work/gym/general life I'm usually out the house from 7am-9pm so batch cooking is hugely important for me to be able to still eat well with little thought. I have one day a week (usually a Sunday) where I cook 4 or 5 meals of about 4 servings, portion them up, label them (contents, date, calories) and then freeze. When I get home famished after a 12 hour day at work, I've then got food ready to go after a quick blast in the microwave, rather than reaching for less healthy convenience foods or the takeaway menu.

Tinned or dried pulses/beans can provide good nutrition and bulk out meals relatively cheaply.

Shopping wisely helps a lot - look at the cost of things - pre-packed vs loose. Use a green grocer if you have one locally, they're often a lot cheaper with much fresher produce. Ethnic supermarkets also sell things like dried pulses/beans/rice loose which works out very cost effective too.

It sounds like you've made a great start already, keep up the great work!