My A-ha Moment

Options
Let me start off by thanking everyone that has helped me in my previous post I made about depression, and the lack of determination I had to "start over" again. I have received countless friend requests today, and I have NEVER in my life, seen such an out pouring of love and selflessness in all my life! Especially on the internet. I love each and everyone of you. With that said, I must share what I have realized tonight. (I posted this on that thread, but it's lost in the cloud and may never come back ;)

I think a lot of over weight people (especially those with overweight spouses, will understand where I'm coming from.)

All my life, I've stayed fat for a reason. I never knew what that reason was. In fact, I thought it was because I needed to hide from life. Feel enclosed in my shell to feel comforted. I didn't know what kept me like this until last night. Last night, I had my real a-ha moment!

My mother and grandmother have been overweight and obese since I was a baby. My mom went so far as to get her stomach stapled, even! Even that didn't help. A gambling addiction later, and she's still miserable and unhappy with her weight. I have seen how obesity is their greatest weakness. I have felt compelled to stay fat with them, because I knew succeeding in doing something they couldn't do, would lead to resentment and hate by them. What if I lost 100 pounds, was loving life and then they tried to sabotage my efforts to fill their own emptiness? Same goes for my fiance of 5 years. He's heavy and is okay with the way he lives his life. He won't change until he wants to. But I have allowed myself to stay 300+ pounds for the last 7-8 years because I was afraid of disappointing people! I was scared to lose weight because I knew as soon as I did, people would wake up to their own bad behavior. As soon as people would wake up, they would be out for blood! They would be out to make sure I fail because it's human nature to bring others down! Misery loves company, and this is no different. I was scared they may entice me with poor food choices. But worse, I was afraid they would hate me. Hate me for being successful. Hate me for being something they always wanted to be. Hate me for having the one thing they could never have! In fact, that paralyzing fear of becoming hated by other overweight loved ones, is what kept me stagnant for so long. I've never in my life felt so confident in this as I am now. This is the reason. It's my a-ha moment. The realization that I can now overcome it because I've been made aware of it, is overwhelming! I now feel like I don't have to be afraid of people resenting me for escaping my hell. I am being led by a positive force in the universe to love myself no matter what comes of it!

I just hope this story can change someone on these forums tonight. I hope, if you were like me, unsuspecting and oblivious to this thought process, that this will change you! It IS something people go through. Not everyone has loving support. Some people have paralyzing fear of losing weight for a very valid reason. I will pray for you all. We've got this!

Namaste :)

Replies

• Madwife2009
    Madwife2009 Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    The realization that I can now overcome it because I've been made aware of it, is overwhelming!

And very, very powerful. YOU are in control. You can do this and you know you can. Having the right mindset is the start. Good luck with your journey.

• CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    So proud to call you friend:)
  • ditsyblond17
    ditsyblond17 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    So proud to call you friend:)

Thank you so much, love! I'm so happy as well! I've met some fantastic people on here, and you are one of them! God bless.
  • ditsyblond17
    Options
    The realization that I can now overcome it because I've been made aware of it, is overwhelming!

And very, very powerful. YOU are in control. You can do this and you know you can. Having the right mindset is the start. Good luck with your journey.

Thank you Kindly, Madwife! I have control now. No one else. I am ready to do this for real. God bless.
  • britishbeau
    britishbeau Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    on the other hand maybe you will inspire them to lose weight too? but i think its so sad that it has to be that way. you need to do it for you. for your own health and if they want to hate you for it then find better friends, like the people you found on here :)
  • ditsyblond17
    Options
    on the other hand maybe you will inspire them to lose weight too? but i think its so sad that it has to be that way. you need to do it for you. for your own health and if they want to hate you for it then find better friends, like the people you found on here :)

Couldn't have said it better! They're family, so it's tough. But yes, I don't need to surround myself with such unhappy, toxic people. Thanks for the advice!
  • suziecue20
    suziecue20 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    How brave of you to reach this realisation! I wish you every success in your weight loss journey :)
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I don't believe it's human nature to want to bring others down but I'm sorry you have humans in your life that want to bring you down:-(
  • sunandmoons
    sunandmoons Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Im happy for you! Your doing this for YOU!! Noone else. Some of your thought regarding how others may think about you, could be wrong.

For some change is hard.

With your new enlightenment, I'm sure your family will love you either way.

Regardlesss, You have a new realization about losing weight. Kudos to you!!!! :)
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Good for you! I find losing weight to be very similar to staying away from drugs and alcohol - you will quickly find out who your true friends are! Ultimately - you have to do it for you, come hell or high water and regardless of what others think of you (or if they support you or not!)
  • holly_roman
    holly_roman Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Hazzah! I am happy for you. You have started this tremendous journey and you are realizing what has stopped you, UNTIL NOW! add me, I would love to be your friend!
  • blkandwhite77
    blkandwhite77 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    There is hope that your fiancé will get with the program with you. I started my journey 2 years ago (turtle pace but still going) and I would encourage my hubby to join me. I was really worried about his health as both his parents have type 2 diabetes and tons of complications from it. He wasn't having it as he had no motivation. It took 2 years of lovingly trying and just in the last month and half he's joined me. He's now lost 12 lbs and he's the one telling me "come on bae we gotta hit the gym". Lol I've created a monster I just want to veg with a good book!