Pregnancy-safe exercises

Options
I just found out today that I am pregnant. Yeeeaaaa!
I want to continue a healthy lifestyle. What are good exercises to do while pregnant?

Replies

• thibautseeker
    thibautseeker Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Swimming is good and aqua yoga - class for those pregnant is brilliant!
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    while excercising while pregnant is advised taking on a vigorous excercise regimine is not. So keep that in mind. Basically what you need to avoid are ab excercises. For cardio you can walk, to a mild pace on the elliptical, swim, bike. You can still tone muscle in other areas of your body legs/arms :) Unfortunatly your lower-mid back muscles tie into your abdominals but you can work your shoulders.

Per my wonderful OBGYN uncle and my personal OB from my son, the more active you are during pregnancy the easier the pregnancy and laboe but it looks like you already have a couple of kids keeping you busy
  • jsmith2377
    jsmith2377 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    You can do almost everything you were doing before. The only one I know of that is off limits are situps! Congrats!
  • kerenjackson06
    kerenjackson06 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    http://caloriecount.about.com/activities-home-activities-ac5

Check out these household activities that burn calories. You probably do these anyways, but knowing they are mild exercise may encourage you to do more!
  • khrys1
    khrys1 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Have you already been exercising? If so, my doctor says that basically anything you're used to doing before pregnancy can be continued during pregnancy, except for obvious stuff like scuba diving or things that could be dangerous, like falling off a trampoline or horseback riding..... Good luck!
  • jreese5226
    jreese5226 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Congrats! There are some great fitness DVDs for during pregnancy that show modified moves for each trimester. Denise Austin Fit and Firm Pregnancy is good, and I liked the relaxation of Shiva Rea's Prenatal Yoga, which also helped with flexibility during pregnancy. Best wishes to you and your family!
  • bjenny12345
    bjenny12345 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    CONGRATULATIONS! I suggest Leslie Sansone Walking DVDs, they are the best! She said she walked through all 3 of her pregnancies. You can buy them online at Amazon.com they have a ton to choose from and the reviews help. Or heck WalMart and Target have some of her DVDs. Best of luck, have a healthy and happy pregnancy!
  • MrsHoward1012
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I have a Leslie Sansone dvd and I have been doing it