Low calorie lunch ideas

Options
Hi, I'm looking for some suggestions for low calorie lunches, ideally below 400 calories? Im doing really well with healthy breakfasts and dinners but I really struggle with lunches.

I work in a busy office job so ideally something I can prep before work. I have access to a refrigerator and microwave in my office. I'm based in the UK. Thank you :)

Replies

• Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I used to make scrambled eggs with chicken and whatever and then reheat for lunch. Or put chicken on a garden salad with balsamic or oil and vinegar. You can make extra of your dinners and take that. Or put avocado and hard boiled eggs on an English muffin or flat bread. Skinnytaste.com has a lot of awesome recipes too.
  • sarab260
    sarab260 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Hi! It's a bit of an investment but I really have enjoyed the recipes from https://www.fitgirls.com/ (I bought the bundle of all the books). For the Jumpstart and Fitkini Challenge, they have weekly meal plans and shopping lists for meal prep, and different caloric plans (1250, 1450, 1650). I haven't been great at following their plans as they are mapped out, but instead hop around using the recipes I want as I see fit (no pun intended). Might be worth checking out if you're looking for a way to put your mind at ease all week! :)
  • nickynoneck83
    nickynoneck83 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    A huge spinach salad with cherry tomatoes, broccoli, carrots, cauliflower, blackbeans and drizzle olive oil all over it its about 400 ish cal leaves me full for hours
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Bowl of pinto beans soup or chick pea curry with cut up cucumbers or carrots.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Can of tuna, black beans, avocado, laughing cow cheese, pepperoncini, chipotle sauce, a crap ton of lettuce/spinach. Weigh to the appropriate amount.
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Wraps or low cal bread with veggie/meat/cheese.
  • cocobot2013
    cocobot2013 Posts: 46 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I usually eat the same thing for lunch at work everyday, two slices of 40 calorie bread, turkey, some cucumber, light mayo, a cup of carrots and an apples bites pack! About 240-260 calories! Or it's a pb2 powder and sugar free jelly sandwich instead!

I also cut the carrots into slim slices to remind me of some crunchy potato chips lol
  • PSYCHOJOKER13
    PSYCHOJOKER13 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    If you keep eating such low calories, aka 'starving' yourself.... You are going to end up binging and gaining lots of weight eventually.

Many people are all happy and think they are being 'successful' because they lose weight.
    But we need to think about if it is healthy & sustainable. And I believe it is not.
    Anyone can lose weight if they wanna eat 1200cal a day, but it won't last forever.

Since I'm vegan myself, I gotta recommend it.
    I used to do these low calorie meals, and ate about 800-1200cal a day....even as a previous vegetarian, I ate like CRAP. I weighed 100-105lbs as well.
    Now that I'm vegan,eating however much I want(often 2k calories or more), I'm still only 110-115lbs, and I believe I'm carrying an extra 5lbs at least just from making the mistake of having too much sodium in my diet lately....so its water weight. And I know it will take my body time to adjust to actually having food in it, since I used to starve it basically >_<

Point is, you can eat way more (of the right things!) And be satisfied, lean, healthy, energetic, and happy :)
    So lets turn those less-than-400cal-meals, into 600cal meals? <3:*<3
  • alanlifts12
    alanlifts12 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I usually like to have turkey salad. I make mine from scratch. Its low carb and high in protein and the turkey meat is lean and low in fat. There are some good turkey salad recipes you can get online. Be careful not to add dressings to salads that can be very calorific.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I cook, portion and freeze so I can grab what I want and throw it in my bag in the morning.
  • ebouchie
    ebouchie Posts: 124 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    My go to lunch: two Tumaros low carb whole grain wraps (60 calories each) with 2 cups spinach, I add red onion and cukes for crunch. Then protein could be anything. Often leftover from dinner the night before. Today it is a crab cake. But could be roast chicken, ground turkey, tuna or beef tenderloin. Two wraps end up between 300 and 350 calories.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    Yes, I'm a wrap fan too. I like a little mayo & a full four ounces of protein so mine come in between 400-450 calories. They could be less. I use the low carb tortillas by la tortilla factory. Very satisfying. Also I'm a special ed sub so in a worst case, nightmare class scenario they can be eaten standing in the corner of any classroom!
  • mydade
    mydade Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi, for your healthy, low-calorie lunch you can try a lot of different recipes. They are all easy to prepare. I suggest you make a salad with cucumbers, pepper, carrots, or mixed leafy vegetables. Add mozzarella cheese and pour some olive oil or vinegar. You can make many variations, for example, you can add some potatoes or even pieces of chicken. A good choice would also be tuna salad made of fresh tuna, low-fat mayo and pickles. Add a slice of whole-grain bread. You can also try bean salad with mushrooms, corn or any other vegetable you prefer. It's all healthy and low-calorie. Most important of all, it will keep you full for longer time.
  • conniehgtv
    conniehgtv Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    my new favorite thing is Star kist tuna pouches (70-115cal) many flavors over 1cup cilantro,icup spinach, 3 radishes, 2green onion , 1 redpepper. Dress with taco sauce or salsa. Or mis low fat yougurt/sour creAm with salsa. Yum!!!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Most of my lunches are around 300 calories. I usually bring a small portion of leftovers from dinner. On days there are no leftovers I usually have soup, some type of salad, a sandwich wrap or greek yogurt with fruit and Bran Buds cereal.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    I usually have the same thing every day: homemade Buffalo chicken salad on 34 degree crackers and a cheese stick. It clocks in at 300 calories and keeps me full until dinner.
  • mylittlerainbow
    mylittlerainbow Posts: 822 Member
    Options
    Lunch is my easiest meal - I have a big salad of mixed greens and I use 1 tbsp hummus for a dressing. Depending on the calories I have available for that day, I'll throw in 2 tbsp dried fruit, 14 walnut halves, 4 oz cubed tofu, 3 oz canned tuna, or 1/2 cubed chicken breast. Most of the time, it's the first four things (greens, hummus, dried fruit, and walnuts) and it comes out to under 400 calories.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    My lunch is the lowest calorie meal of my day, and really helps me keep on track. I usually plan something with the "leftovers" from the night before. Today it is a Philly cheese wrap with a small flour tortilla spread with light Philadelphia cream cheese, Dijon mustard, bell pepper, and thin sliced steak. It comes out to about 220 calories and I'll round it out with an apple.

Also low calorie are soups and salads.

This is my very favourite tuna salad.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/361132463845702616/
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Most of my lunches are around 300 calories. I usually bring a small portion of leftovers from dinner. On days there are no leftovers I usually have soup, some type of salad, a sandwich wrap or greek yogurt with fruit and Bran Buds cereal.

Yeah, me too. Some leftovers and a piece of fruit is what I usually do. I typically aim for ~400 kcal or less for lunch.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    In the fall and winter, I love to bring in soups (chicken, split pea, tomato, beef barley). They are easy to warm up in the microwave or just buy a good quality Thermos. I load mine with vegetables (fresh or frozen) to bulk them up and make them more filling.