Soooooooooo time consuming!!!!!

Options
alf1163
alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
I dread having to enter homemade meals!!! I do fine from breakfast to afternoon snacks because I usually eat the same things or pre-packaged foods that have all the nutritional info on the package. But, when it comes to dinner I usually cook a meal for my family and it is sooo hard to figure out the calorie content of most meals. For example today I made mashed potatoes using raw potatoes, skim milk and light smart balance spread and some garlic powder...it took me forever to try to figure out how much I was going to estimate for it. The same with a side salad... I love this site, it is great but Aaagh!!! Any ideas??

Replies

• alf1163
    Options
    I dread having to enter homemade meals!!! I do fine from breakfast to afternoon snacks because I usually eat the same things or pre-packaged foods that have all the nutritional info on the package. But, when it comes to dinner I usually cook a meal for my family and it is sooo hard to figure out the calorie content of most meals. For example today I made mashed potatoes using raw potatoes, skim milk and light smart balance spread and some garlic powder...it took me forever to try to figure out how much I was going to estimate for it. The same with a side salad... I love this site, it is great but Aaagh!!! Any ideas??
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately this is one of the chores of a good diet. On the bright side, there are only so many food combinations that we usually make and after a month or so you should have already recorded most of them (if not then I want to go eat at your house just out of variety alone:tongue: )
  • deanea
    deanea Posts: 1,437
    Options
    Yes, pain in the butt , but worth it.
  • pam0206
    pam0206 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    If your issue is determining how much of each item you are eating, try this website:
    http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-calculator.asp

It is still time consuming, but it will calculate how many calories there are per serving. After you have input some of your regular recipes on mfp, it should be easier. You'll be able to search and find your items.

GL and hang in there! :flowerforyou:
  • dhayes
    dhayes Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Use this site to enter your recipes. It willcalculate the nutrtional values too.

http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-calculator.asp
  • gresch
    Options
    I feel for you. I am doing the same thing. I usually eat the most random combinations of salads and sandwiches and its hard figuring out how much of each ingredient is there.

I'm hoping I end up eating similar meals so I can just use my old entries over again. Hang in there! At least it makes us more conscious of our eating habits.

good luck!!
  • sparkychic
    sparkychic Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I just logged onto the websit listed below - recipes.sparkpeople.com!! It worked great!!! I was having the same problem. I am trying to count calories, and I was soooo discouraged trying to figure out how many calories were in a recipe I was making. This webite completely does all the hard work for you. Just enter the ingredients and serving size and it calulates everything. Thanks to whomever suggested this. I am a new member and glad for all the info I can get. Good luck everyone who is trying hard like me!!!!!
  • ltsoccermom
    Options
    Hey Everyone!

I searched high and low for something that did not cost me money to buy. I love Freeware so I found a site and mentioned on this site I was looking for something free and easy to use.

I'm sorry I forgot the name of the member who gave this to me but THANK YOU!!!!

http://www.recipecalc.com

When you go to the site you do have to download it but it is free. It has its quirks too but I have found it VERY easy to use. After I cook I take about 5 minutes to sit down and input my recipe then push the button and there it is!! It is easier than the one for $24 I found. It says it is good for 20 days but if I remember what the other member said is it will be good to go by downloading it to your computer.

Now that I have a tool for my recipes to keep me on track and myfitnesspal I am set to go.

I am enjoying my own cooking again while dieting with excellent flavor and without all the salt the pre-made meals include.

Stacy
  • alf1163
    Options
    Thank you guys!!!! You are all very helpful!!! I loved it this morning, I ate the same breakfast I had yesterday and all I had to do was add the foods that were already entered!!!! I am going to check out all the websites suggested. Don't forget to wear red today!!!:drinker: