Tachycardia?

Options
2»

Replies

• go2grrl
    go2grrl Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I was having crazy readings on HRM, much like you describe, that were far and few between last year. When they started happening closer together, I finally mentioned it to my doctor and turns out the "subclinical hyperthyroidism" I was always diagnosed with was a little more serious. Igot the all clear from cardiology so there's nothing wrong with my heart. You might also insist on a full thyroid panel and rule out any sort of thyroid nodules.
  • fidgekitty
    fidgekitty Posts: 43
    Options
    I post here normally, but this response is from my boyfriend who also read over this forum post and took an interest, so this is his opinion as a medic:

The preface is that I am not a doctor and this is not medical advice, if this person wants medical advice, they should call 911 or go to their closest emergency room.

To say that you have tachycardia isn't inherently dangerous. "Tachycardia" in and of itself is just any heart rate over 100 bpm. The origins and etiology of that tachycardia are more important than just having a heart rate that is barely above 100. A resting heart rate of 95 is acceptable for any normal adult; anything between 60-100 is considered to be a "normal" resting rate. Having a resting rate 110-150 might be benign and normal variant, or it could also imply some other pathology/etiolgy that would require halter monitoring. Also, depending on how the heart rate is taken manually, the number might be skewed. The best method is to take it radially over the course of a minute.

Take that 120/80 average number out of your memory, throw it away, and never think of it again. It's a baseline "comparative" number that doesn't really mean anything when it comes to being low. And a blood pressure of 96 systolic is honestly pretty decent for a physically conditioned individual. A pulse pressure of 38mmHg is basically the same as that 120/80 anyway, and with a mean arterial pressure of 72mmHg, it doesn't concern me. It generally takes 60mmHg to adequately perfuse coronary arteries (which get perfusion during diastole, or when the heart is resting) and other vital organs.

Depending on your age and physical conditioning, a heart rate of 208 while doing sprints (or intervals, which looks to be more the case) is entirely plausible, and likely to be a result of exertional instead of pathological. The usual rule of thumb is 220 minus age to determine if a tachycardia is extrinsic or intrinsic in nature, and even then it's relative. I can't say much else without actual ECG results, and that's really where the answer is going to come from, and I don't think a halter monitor is out of the question should the tachycardias persist.

Also, if this is a new medication, perhaps it is a catalyst (or even the causative agent) for the tachycardic episodes.

It's actually hard to take a medication as pescribed and have it kill you. Lots of people take lots of medications all the time and none the worse. What I will caution is with extremely fast tachycardia causing chest pain or respiratory distress. That IS a life threat and an ambulance is needed IMMEDIATELY.

As an EMT and Health Information Administrator student, I second all of that.

Oh, and I want to stress the statement about taking manual radial pulses, TAKE IT MANUALLY! lol, automatic HRM's can be so off, as well as automatic BP monitors, especially when moving (like in the back of an ambulance, jogging, even walking). I've gotten insane readings from the smallest thing from automatic HRM and auto-BP machines, so just take the time to feel for the radial pulse (or corotid if you have trouble finding it in your wrist) and count for 60 seconds. With tachycardia, one of the the things we fear is ventricular tachycardia, where your heart is beating so fast, the chambers of your heart can't adequately fill up and perfusion is compromised, which can eventually fatigue the heart and cause cardiac failure or arrest. While 90 bpm isn't at that level, if you start experiencing symptoms like chest pain or even discomfort, arm pain, upper back pain, nausea, respiratory distress, or diaphoresis, play it safe, call an ambulance.
  • sarah307
    sarah307 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    I post here normally, but this response is from my boyfriend who also read over this forum post and took an interest, so this is his opinion as a medic:

The preface is that I am not a doctor and this is not medical advice, if this person wants medical advice, they should call 911 or go to their closest emergency room.

To say that you have tachycardia isn't inherently dangerous. "Tachycardia" in and of itself is just any heart rate over 100 bpm. The origins and etiology of that tachycardia are more important than just having a heart rate that is barely above 100. A resting heart rate of 95 is acceptable for any normal adult; anything between 60-100 is considered to be a "normal" resting rate. Having a resting rate 110-150 might be benign and normal variant, or it could also imply some other pathology/etiolgy that would require halter monitoring. Also, depending on how the heart rate is taken manually, the number might be skewed. The best method is to take it radially over the course of a minute.

Take that 120/80 average number out of your memory, throw it away, and never think of it again. It's a baseline "comparative" number that doesn't really mean anything when it comes to being low. And a blood pressure of 96 systolic is honestly pretty decent for a physically conditioned individual. A pulse pressure of 38mmHg is basically the same as that 120/80 anyway, and with a mean arterial pressure of 72mmHg, it doesn't concern me. It generally takes 60mmHg to adequately perfuse coronary arteries (which get perfusion during diastole, or when the heart is resting) and other vital organs.

Depending on your age and physical conditioning, a heart rate of 208 while doing sprints (or intervals, which looks to be more the case) is entirely plausible, and likely to be a result of exertional instead of pathological. The usual rule of thumb is 220 minus age to determine if a tachycardia is extrinsic or intrinsic in nature, and even then it's relative. I can't say much else without actual ECG results, and that's really where the answer is going to come from, and I don't think a halter monitor is out of the question should the tachycardias persist.

Also, if this is a new medication, perhaps it is a catalyst (or even the causative agent) for the tachycardic episodes.

It's actually hard to take a medication as pescribed and have it kill you. Lots of people take lots of medications all the time and none the worse. What I will caution is with extremely fast tachycardia causing chest pain or respiratory distress. That IS a life threat and an ambulance is needed IMMEDIATELY.

As an EMT and Health Information Administrator student, I second all of that.

Oh, and I want to stress the statement about taking manual radial pulses, TAKE IT MANUALLY! lol, automatic HRM's can be so off, as well as automatic BP monitors, especially when moving (like in the back of an ambulance, jogging, even walking). I've gotten insane readings from the smallest thing from automatic HRM and auto-BP machines, so just take the time to feel for the radial pulse (or corotid if you have trouble finding it in your wrist) and count for 60 seconds. With tachycardia, one of the the things we fear is ventricular tachycardia, where your heart is beating so fast, the chambers of your heart can't adequately fill up and perfusion is compromised, which can eventually fatigue the heart and cause cardiac failure or arrest. While 90 bpm isn't at that level, if you start experiencing symptoms like chest pain or even discomfort, arm pain, upper back pain, nausea, respiratory distress, or diaphoresis, play it safe, call an ambulance.

Thank you. for all the above posts. and this is NOT a new medication. Been taking it since January. and I do have chest pains every now and then. and I DO take my RADIAL pulse several times throughout the day. Thanks!
  • sarah307
    Options
    I was having crazy readings on HRM, much like you describe, that were far and few between last year. When they started happening closer together, I finally mentioned it to my doctor and turns out the "subclinical hyperthyroidism" I was always diagnosed with was a little more serious. Igot the all clear from cardiology so there's nothing wrong with my heart. You might also insist on a full thyroid panel and rule out any sort of thyroid nodules.

Thanks. I have hypothyroidism and take medication for it. I had my thyroid panel checked about 3 weeks ago and everything was normal.
  • sarah307
    Options
    I should also update that I went and talked to my pharmacist today since I could not get a hold of my two general doctors or psychiatrist.

The pharmacist also told me that it'd be fine to wait until Tues when I can talk to my psychiatrist on the phone. see what she says..then go to my general doctor..then see if they want me to go to a cardiologist...
  • cutmd
    cutmd Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Seems like you have been getting some good advice. Tachycardia is not a disease, it's a symptom. As others said, it can happen from exercise, drugs, hyperthyroidism, infection, stress/anxiety, dehydration, arrhythmias, etc. As an ER doc I can say the others are right about getting concerned if you get chest pain or shortness of breath, but perhaps most importantly light-headedness or passing out. I would definitely have your doc take a hard look at your amphetamines, and would consider only engaging in light activity until you get a checkup.
    First of all, relax. Tachycardia is simply a heart beat above 100, so every single one of us who works out and gets our heart rate over 100 is tachycardic while we are exercising. I'm also often tachycardic while resting due to my asthma medication. If it is medication induced, it's usually not a big deal. The only time tachycardia is a problem is when there is an underlying heart issue or it is caused by a heart issue that speeds up the electrical signal in the heart even at rest. From the sounds of it, the medication is causing your issues, so I wouldn't stress out about it until you talk to your doctor and they can make sure you have no other underlying heart conditions. The medication you are on is an amphetamine and one of the major side effects of amphetamines is increasing heart rate. Because they are known to increase heart rate, as long as your doctor clears you of other heart issues, you can still workout but you can't judge your calorie burns or exercise level by a heart rate monitor. They will over estimate calorie burns because the heart rate will be high even if you aren't burning extra calories. You should use a rate of perceived exertion scale to judge how hard you are working. The one I like is a 1-10 scale where one is laying down doing nothing and 10 is "OMG I'm about to die!" hard work. You want to work at a 5-7 on that scale.
  • sarah307
    Options
    Seems like you have been getting some good advice. Tachycardia is not a disease, it's a symptom. As others said, it can happen from exercise, drugs, hyperthyroidism, infection, stress/anxiety, dehydration, arrhythmias, etc. As an ER doc I can say the others are right about getting concerned if you get chest pain or shortness of breath, but perhaps most importantly light-headedness or passing out. I would definitely have your doc take a hard look at your amphetamines, and would consider only engaging in light activity until you get a checkup.
    First of all, relax. Tachycardia is simply a heart beat above 100, so every single one of us who works out and gets our heart rate over 100 is tachycardic while we are exercising. I'm also often tachycardic while resting due to my asthma medication. If it is medication induced, it's usually not a big deal. The only time tachycardia is a problem is when there is an underlying heart issue or it is caused by a heart issue that speeds up the electrical signal in the heart even at rest. From the sounds of it, the medication is causing your issues, so I wouldn't stress out about it until you talk to your doctor and they can make sure you have no other underlying heart conditions. The medication you are on is an amphetamine and one of the major side effects of amphetamines is increasing heart rate. Because they are known to increase heart rate, as long as your doctor clears you of other heart issues, you can still workout but you can't judge your calorie burns or exercise level by a heart rate monitor. They will over estimate calorie burns because the heart rate will be high even if you aren't burning extra calories. You should use a rate of perceived exertion scale to judge how hard you are working. The one I like is a 1-10 scale where one is laying down doing nothing and 10 is "OMG I'm about to die!" hard work. You want to work at a 5-7 on that scale.

Yes, Thanks. I understand all of this. (from years of different medications and going to school,etc) I know it is most likely from my amphetamines. Going to talk to my psychiatrist Tuesday (hopefully)! I do get light headed/dizzy but that is also because i am hypoglycemic. I only get chest pains with working out really hard or if I am going through withdrawals from a different medication. I understand tachycardia is a symptom and it is just rapid heart beat, but since mine has been a constant rapid heartbeat is why i was mainly concerned. Thanks everyone again :)
  • weofui
    weofui Posts: 9
    Options
    The meds have my vote. I take Adderall daily for severe inattentive ADD. My resting heart rate is usually around 80, bursts of vigorous exercise (like a sprint) generally boost that to around 190, and over 200 with exercise isn't all that uncommon for me. Obviously, you should still talk this over with your doctors asap... just don't worry yourself to death in the meantime. :)

*Insert standard "I'm not a doctor" boilerplate here. ;)
  • mbeach1977
    mbeach1977 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with inappropriate sinus tachycardia. First noticed it in middle school, As I got older and got pregnant with my first baby, it got much worse and had to be on tons of of heart meds and had EKGs and echo's once a month. After my first was born I had an electrophysiology study with s-node ablation done.

Talk to your Dr!
  • Brandon74
    Brandon74 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Wow, I have Ventricular Tacychardia. I was born with Tetratology of Fallot and have had it repaired a couple times.

I actually had a V-Tach on Valentines Day ( Funny isn't it?) while working out at the gym. Long story short...my heart rate was over 200bmp for about 4 hours. I had to get an ICD put in my chest since I have a heart condition already. They set it up so that if my heart rate got up to 186 the defribilator would go into effect and correct the arythmia problem.

They feel that I should be able to lead my normal lifestyle and workout like I was. My exercise tolerance has never been normal, but I still do what I can and rest when I need too.
  • kacarter1017
    kacarter1017 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Tachycardia is a symptom, not a diagnosis. Things like dehydration, fever, fear, anxiety, and yes, side effects from medications are all potential causes.

I would never try to diagnose you via a computer, but here are a few questions for you:

1. Are you drinking enough?

2. Have you called your pharmacist to see if your medication has tachycardia as a side effect?

3. Have you had a virus or illness lately?

4. Are you symptomatic (dizzy, fatigued, feeling palpitations) with this faster heart rate?

5. What was your heart rate before? Is this your baseline? Normal heart rates are 60-100. The true definition of tachycardia is a sustained heart rate over 100.

If you are symptomatic you need to be seen, even if that means an emergency room visit. If you're not, then make an appointment with your physician.
  • kacarter1017
    kacarter1017 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Wow, I have Ventricular Tacychardia. I was born with Tetratology of Fallot and have had it repaired a couple times.

I actually had a V-Tach on Valentines Day ( Funny isn't it?) while working out at the gym. Long story short...my heart rate was over 200bmp for about 4 hours. I had to get an ICD put in my chest since I have a heart condition already. They set it up so that if my heart rate got up to 186 the defribilator would go into effect and correct the arythmia problem.

They feel that I should be able to lead my normal lifestyle and workout like I was. My exercise tolerance has never been normal, but I still do what I can and rest when I need too.

I caution that this is VERY different from what she is experiencing. With TOF, arrythmias are common. In someone with a structurally normal heart, tachycardia comes from the upper part of the heart, whereas yours comes from the bottom.
  • sarah307
    Options
    Tachycardia is a symptom, not a diagnosis. Things like dehydration, fever, fear, anxiety, and yes, side effects from medications are all potential causes.

I would never try to diagnose you via a computer, but here are a few questions for you:

1. Are you drinking enough?

2. Have you called your pharmacist to see if your medication has tachycardia as a side effect?

3. Have you had a virus or illness lately?

4. Are you symptomatic (dizzy, fatigued, feeling palpitations) with this faster heart rate?

5. What was your heart rate before? Is this your baseline? Normal heart rates are 60-100. The true definition of tachycardia is a sustained heart rate over 100.

If you are symptomatic you need to be seen, even if that means an emergency room visit. If you're not, then make an appointment with your physician.

1. Yes, I drink over 8 glasses of water a day - I have always been a heavy water drinker.

2. Yes, I went to the Pharmacy and talked to the Pharmacist. She said it was definitely a side effect of Vyvanse (which I already knew this). But she said it shouldn't be anything to worry about and to wait until my Psychiatrist on Tues. (btw, this is the first time i have talked to this pharmacist so I tried to tell her as much as my hx as possible)

3. Nope, not been sick in over 6 months.

4. When I work out really hard or feel a lot of anxiety (I know i'm not having a panic attack, because i've had that before)... I can feel my heart beating hard in my chest. My radial pulse is faint so I have been taking it manually with my carotid artery. When i stand up, I black out.. a lot of the time. because I have low blood sugar. I have passed out because of my hypoglycemia before. Definitely not fatigued, hyper. I am dizzy whenever I black out when standing up. (which i have done for a lot of my life)

5. My baseline heart rate before was always low/normal. 60-70 bpm. but that was several years ago that I knew those numbers. (about 2 years ago before taking all these meds) I understand tachycardia is HR over 100. My is CONSTANTLY over 100. Ever since I have noticed this.

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions.
  • fidgekitty
    fidgekitty Posts: 43
    Options
    If your radial pulse is so weak you're having a really hard time feeling it, it sounds like your BP is dropping (you need a systolic of about 100 or more to feel a radial pulse), it sounds like you're have some vasodilation/syncope episodes when you stand up suddenly, which could also be a sign of hypoglycemia (when we have an altered mental status patient with a rapid HR but no obvious symptoms of stroke/trauma/ect, we usually think hypoglycemia as one of the causes). Maybe some diet changes would be good? More protien and fats?
  • sarah307
    Options
    If your radial pulse is so weak you're having a really hard time feeling it, it sounds like your BP is dropping (you need a systolic of about 100 or more to feel a radial pulse), it sounds like you're have some vasodilation/syncope episodes when you stand up suddenly, which could also be a sign of hypoglycemia (when we have an altered mental status patient with a rapid HR but no obvious symptoms of stroke/trauma/ect, we usually think hypoglycemia as one of the causes). Maybe some diet changes would be good? More protien and fats?

thanks. funny you say more proteins and fats because I have been trying SO HARD to get lots of proteins in these past few months ;):):)
  • sarah307
    Options
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tachycardia

if people are interested in more information.