Healthy donut recipes?

Options
Francl27
Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
I ordered a pan. I found a couple good recipes online, but wondering if anyone got a delicious healthy one?

Replies

• dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    one of my friends on mfp told me about dunkin donuts having something called a pronut, which has 25 grams of protein, maybe you can google search something along those lines?
  • Francl27
    Options
    Come on, anyone?

I found some protein donut recipes online but they all use weird things I've never heard of, lol.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    why not just make proper delicious doughnuts and fit them in your macros every now and then?
  • Greytfish
    Greytfish Posts: 810
    Options
    Healthy donut? :laugh:

The recipes will all have ingredients that seem odd, since, well, donuts aren't healthy and aren't designed to be healthy. You can use protein powder or almond flour to make them healthier, but not healthy - and you'll lose "donut" qualities along with that.

Eat the donut and get your healthy elsewhere.
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    why not just make proper delicious doughnuts and fit them in your macros every now and then?

haaaa... got there before me! Eat it - track it - leave happily ever after.
    Plus - if you ask me - perfect as a PWO -
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Health.com has some pretty good recipes for donuts. Plus all the recipes that are on allrecipes.com and foodnetwork.com....just omit the frying part and bake in your pan.
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    Eat a few cocoa glazed munchkins from Dunkin.......the munchkins range from 25 to 80 calories each.

https://www.dunkindonuts.com/content/dunkindonuts/en/menu/food/bakery/munchkins/munchkins.html?DRP_FLAVOR=Cocoa+Glazed
  • Francl27
    Options
    I should probably have asked for baked donuts recipes... I don't care much if they are not 'healthy', just don't want them fried.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    ....just omit the frying part and bake in your pan.
    The frying is what makes a donut a donut! Otherwise it's just a pastry.
  • elsyoommen
    elsyoommen Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I've been meaning to try this one - I have had good results with Elana's pantry in the past so I have hopes for this one as well

http://www.paleoperfectly.com/2011/08/paleo-pumpkin-spice-donuts.html
  • alechua
    alechua Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    watch cassey ho donuts fo-nuts recipe on youtube! ;)
  • arrseegee
    arrseegee Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Sounds like an oxymoron
  • msmimi
    msmimi Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I've tried several baked varieties. They were decent. However, for less effort and a few calories more I could have Krispy Kreme. So that's what I do now. Go through drive thru order 1 and I'm done.
  • TravelinChiGal
    TravelinChiGal Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    oooo oooo oooo!!! I work for Wilton where I developed a doughnut pan about 4 years ago. The recipe has labels for baked doughnuts :) Check it out on Amazon (sorry - shameless plug because the pan and the recipes are AWESOME!)

1529060.png
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    Let me see if I can find the cauliflower one.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Healthy donut? :laugh:

The recipes will all have ingredients that seem odd, since, well, donuts aren't healthy and aren't designed to be healthy. You can use protein powder or almond flour to make them healthier, but not healthy - and you'll lose "donut" qualities along with that.

Eat the donut and get your healthy elsewhere.

WHAT is your deal? Hungry much? Seriously...

OP, I think it depends on what you consider most important: flavor, shape/esthetics, or consistency?

I'd venture to say that you could make some nice blueberry "donuts" using yogurt. You can replace butter/oil in almost any muffin recipe by 1:1 with plain Greek yogurt or by using unsweetened applesauce + 1 or 2 tbsp. I usually cut the sugar down by 1/4 to 1/3, without sacrificing flavor.

Oh, and this recipe for banana muffins would be good. If you don't over mix the batter, they come out light and fluffy. Not very much protein in the banana muffins, but, at 80 calories, who cares?

Use a simple sugar glaze for the tops of whatever recipe that you choose, and you should be good to go.

Low Calorie Banana Muffins

Minutes to Prepare: 10

Minutes to Cook: 20

Number of Servings: 12

Ingredients

1 cup flour
    1 Tbsp baking powder
    1/2 tsp baking soda
    1/8 tsp salt
    1 cup mashed bananas (preferably, very ripe!)
    1/4 sugar
    1 large egg
    1/2 tsp vanilla extract
    1/4 cup applesauce

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease muffin pan or line with paper muffin liners.

In medium bowl combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt together.

In separate bowl, combine banana, sugar, egg and vanilla extract. Blend until well mixed. Add applesauce. Slowly combine dry mixture to banana mixture. Blend well.

Scoop batter into prepared muffin cups. Bake 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean. Let cool before serving.

Makes 12 Servings

Nutritional Info
    Servings Per Recipe: 12
    Amount Per Serving
    Calories: 79.5
    Total Fat: 0.6 g
    Cholesterol: 17.7 mg
    Sodium: 208.7 mg
    Total Carbs: 17.1 g
    Dietary Fiber: 0.8 g
    Protein: 1.8 g
  • Francl27
    Options
    ....just omit the frying part and bake in your pan.
    The frying is what makes a donut a donut! Otherwise it's just a pastry.

It's ok... I love pastries too.

We don't have Krispy Kreme here. Just Dunking Donut and really, not a fan. That's why I'm asking.
    oooo oooo oooo!!! I work for Wilton where I developed a doughnut pan about 4 years ago. The recipe has labels for baked doughnuts :) Check it out on Amazon (sorry - shameless plug because the pan and the recipes are AWESOME!)

It's the one I ordered, lol.
  • elsyoommen
    elsyoommen Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I just saw this recipe which you might like. I have tried 2 separate pumpkin based recipes from this website which turned out great so I think this one should as well.

http://paleomg.com/pumpkin-cream-donut-sandwiches/
  • Greytfish
    Greytfish Posts: 810
    Options

WHAT is your deal? Hungry much? Seriously...

That a donut is, well, a donut. And, as people have pointed out, a donut is fried.

The mistake people make with frying is choosing low quality oils. A better quality oil for frying isn't necessarily bad for you, or at least not any more than much of what is in a donut.

You can absolutely sub the ingredients and the process and eat something that isn't a donut. Why you would want to is another issue.

I eat quite well and haven't been overweight, but you're right....I must be doing something wrong.
  • tina_tornado
    tina_tornado Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/recipe/view/265701200604397

Here's a link to my recipe. I use a Babycakes brand mini donut maker to make mine. They're great with coffee but are very dense, you can likely tweak it a bit to make it more moist by using more greek yogurt or adding in pure pumpkin or perhaps more butter if your macros allow for it.