Has anyone been obese and started strength training?

Options
Just a little background. I am well overweight but I am young and I have a lot of energy. I would like to start strength training but I don't know how I forgot about it. Any ideas?

Replies

• amberlyda1
    amberlyda1 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    slow and steady. Im obese :( I used to be a fitness nut but im more than a little flabby now. If you have never lifted before i would have someone show you proper form and technique. For starters i would probably stick to the weight machines because you are less likely to get hurt from improper form or hyper extending you joints. Please dont be afraid to ask for help at the gym. I have seen people on the machines backward trying to use them. The personal trainers will usually go out of their way to help. One incredibly frustrating thing about lifting weights is that the scale loss might slow down, stop, or go up. This can be a little scary when you are first loosing weight because you are trying to get fit and the scale is saying your not. Dont worry though its just your body gaining muscle. If you are also doing cardio and eating well this plateu should be short lived. Good luck. I love lifting. I know i feel so good after a strong session.
  • lizzocat
    lizzocat Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I started strength training when I was still in the "obese" category, and lost probably 20-30 pounds in the first three months. I would suggest, strength training + cardio (whatever you can do, bike, walking, etc.) and watching your diet. It's a triple threat then
  • KDar1988
    KDar1988 Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    I am in the m-obese category and I started lifting in addition to my cardio 2-3 days a week. I can already tell where I've toned and maybe built up some muscle. I've been doing this faithfully since August and the scales aren't moving and in fact went up. It is awesome to feel sore muscles because I know I worked them. Go for it!
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    alot of machines force you to move unnaturally, we all have different levels of flexibility and limb lengths, so careful with that. free weights with just the bar while you practice form is a better option.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,759 Member
    Options
    I did weight training regularly in my late 40s for a couple of years, started while obese, wasn't trying to lose, didn't lose, didn't have any problems as a result of weight training. I got stronger, and it made me happy. Only problem was that I stopped. ;-)

If the weight-loss goal on your profile is your full goal, you're about as overweight as I was when I was lifting, and I was much older at the time.

I've found, more recently, that I need to progress *quite* slowly if lifting while in significant calorie deficit (2 pounds a week loss rate) - I get very fatigued if I'm more aggressive - but I'm now *much* older than you!

+1 to the idea of getting good instruction, starting slowly with a plan to make steady progress and avoid injury.
  • amberlyda1
    amberlyda1 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Jennloella wrote: »
    alot of machines force you to move unnaturally, we all have different levels of flexibility and limb lengths, so careful with that. free weights with just the bar while you practice form is a better option.

You are correct. That is a great point. The reverse fly machine is a great example of that. I constantly see people adjust the machine incorrectly, or "throw" the weight back and pinch the spine. Free weights are the best thing for overall conditioning as they also incorporate more of the secondary muscles as well.
    For the machines I was thinking of some of the more basic ones like the bench press, leg extension, squat machine, hamstring flex, etc.
    My concern for new lifters is that a lot of them tend to shy away from asking for help and end up with injuries.
    For example; I have seen people try to do free weight bench press with improper weights and have torn ligaments/tendons. Or use the unassisted squat bar and go too low and are unable to extend back up safely or just putting too much strain on their knees. At least with some of the machines they can help stop some of those issues. But again you are right if they arent set right they can also cause problems.
    OP- please, please either look up videos, articles or more importantly have someone walk you through the basics of strength training.
    You are going to do great and feel great. Keep up the good work
  • ghoti_fish
    ghoti_fish Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I'm obese and I lift. I currently can't get a handle on my eating to be losing consistently so I'm staying obese and still lifting. I can lift pretty heavy (I compare myself to the guys in my gym cuz I'm the only girl) so I don't feel too bad about being fat!
  • Amber_hanson27
    Amber_hanson27 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    When I first started I was for sure obese. I couldn't afford the gym and don't have child care. I used a lot of youtube videos and worked out in front of a full length mirror so I could check myself on form. I even watched how to videos for specific exercises if I felt I wasn't doing them properly. I think using body weight workouts are often over looked but very effective. I'm going to a gym now that the kids are in school but still do strength at home if I can't get out. Congrats on starting your journey!!!