Getting past the threshold

Options
I am starting to get really discouraged. I don't think I can work out any more than I am already (45-60 minutes a day but I work from home and babysit) and I don't think I can eat any less without literally starving myself. I am eating around 1100-1200 calories a day and have already swapped lunch for a low fat smoothie and have cut 90% of the carbs and sugar I used to eat. My portions have also drastically shrunk to child size portions. Trying to up my protein intake also. And I'm paying over $100 a month for plexus slim as an extra help! And my Fitbit says I'm reaching my steps and calorie goals for weight loss every day (2300 calories burned... Only 1200 coming in). It doesn't make sense. But I've been stuck in a losing slump for two weeks now. Doing a mix of cardio and strength training for working out. Running on a treadmill and doing Jillian Michaels work outs. Why am I not losing? Has anyone gotten past a REALLY stubborn threshold like mine? How did you do it? When I lose weight before this was the same place I got stuck at. I can't remember how I got past it. Haven't even lost a tenth of a pound! Any tips or encouragement would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Replies

• annettehoyt
    annettehoyt Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Is it possible that I'm drinking too much water/tea and gaining water weight?
  • annettehoyt
    Options
    I just can't take another week of working so hard and not losing. I HAVE to lose next week. I was supposed to be losing 2 lbs a week according to my plan, to lose the weight desired by the time I go home for Christmas. Not losing for 2 weeks has really messed up my plan....
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    You have to be very accurate in your logging. The amaount of exercise you describe, does not rhyme with 1100-1200 calories. Are you weighing everything you eat? Do you doublecheck the entries (lots are wrong)? Do you have "cheat days"? Do not cut fat. Do not cut carbs too much. Do not try to eat too much protein. You need a balance. Do not drink your calories. Do not buy overpriced hyped junk like Plexus. You have to be patient. If you exercise a lot, you may be retaining water for mucle repair, and this can mask true weight (fat) loss. Two weeks is nothing. A month of daily weigh-ins will give a reasonably reliable feedback.
  • dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    Well just being on here a while I know the same questions pop up a lot when people are stuck such as:
    Are you using a food scale? If not you may be eating more than you think.
    How long have you been at this? Sometimes you do retain water when you start a vigorous workout routine- give it a week or two and you will lose that. A few years ago I was losing pretty steady and started the 30 day shred and lost NOTHING in that week after all that working out and I was so discouraged. I didn't know that my muscles were retaining water- I gave up and didn't come back to it for two years.
    What are your stats, and how much are you trying to lose per week?
    Are you using a HRM to estimate your calorie burns, if not you may be overestimating how many calories you are burning.
    If you truly have tried everything you may want to talk to your doctor because there may be other things going on that make it difficult to lose such as PCOS or thyroid issues.
    I wouldn't pay money for plexus slim - there are plenty of people who lose weight without paying for things such as that (but that's just me).
    Keep going and trust the process- you'll get there!
  • annettehoyt
    Options
    Thanks guys! That's good advice. I am using a heart rate monitor so I know exactly how many calories I burn. I do measure food but I don't weigh it. So that should be fairly accurate as well. I will keep pushing through this and not give up.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,715 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! That's good advice. I am using a heart rate monitor so I know exactly how many calories I burn. I do measure food but I don't weigh it. So that should be fairly accurate as well. I will keep pushing through this and not give up.

Actually, probably not. Weighing food with a scale is much more accurate and if you only have 20 lbs. to lose you have to be much more precise with your food intake. No need to increase workouts until you start weighing food regularly and see exactly how much your taking in.
  • mysteps2beauty
    mysteps2beauty Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    The first two weeks were tough for me. It really bothered me to give up on the quantity of foods I liked but I knew I had to push through. CICO is science not somebody's opinion. It will work, just not on the schedule we want it to. We can have to goals to shoot for but as others on the board have said, weight loss is not linear.

I would also incorporate a good multivitamin to ensure you are getting the nutrients your body needs.

Hang in there...it will happen if you don't give up.
  • Vickilick
    Vickilick Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I can't offer any advice on what you're doing, but keep going! Try not to be discouraged or give up as preserverance will get you there eventually. You did it before so you can do it again. It's definitely possible!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options

No - a heart rate monitor can not tell you how many calories you burn. I guess you eat back those calories? Don't.

No - do not "measure" food, weigh it.

You can push and push but you won't get results unless you do the right things. You'll be exhausted, but not get any other results.