Options

Replies

• acheben
    acheben Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    acheben wrote: »
    krithsai wrote: »
    I even measure my liquids on my scale by turning the unit to ml. I simply don't trust cups anymore.

That built in conversion is only for water. Liquids with a different density than water (1g/cm^3) will not have the same gram to ml conversion factor.

Doesn't really matter, though. As long as you consistently weigh X ml of Y you'll get consistent results. Probably more so than with cups or spoons.

Yep, you'll get consistent results, but you're not consuming 100ml of Y, you're consuming 100g of Y.

Honestly, it's probably more of a personal issue than anything. I'm an engineer, so I like my units to be correct :smile:
    I like my results to be correct. Consistent measurements -- which I think is easier to do with weight than with cups and spoons, others may not -- makes it easier for me to get correct results.

I mean, if my log says 80g of milk and not 80ml of milk, it's not like a jet engine is going to blow apart in the sky because I conflated micrometers with millimeters or something.

But, yeah, I agree on the "personal issue" thing. As long as people can get consistent measurements with whatever tools they use, they'll be in good shape.
    You're right, the orbiter isn't going to crash into Mars if you log 80ml instead of 80g. I weigh liquids most of the time and it is a really useful way to maintain consistency, especially in tricky baking recipes.
  • acheben
    acheben Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Artemiris wrote: »
    I even measure my liquids on my scale by turning the unit to ml. I simply don't trust cups anymore.

That built in conversion is only for water. Liquids with a different density than water (1g/cm^3) will not have the same gram to ml conversion factor.

Oooh...I never thought of this! I measure only milk(I don't drink juices etc), so I guess I'm getting a reasonable estimate. What do you think?

Skim milk has almost exactly the same density of water, so it's ok to measure it in grams.

Otherwise, the only proper method for measuring liquid is a container with milliliters.
    How is it improper to measure liquids by weight, exactly?

Denser liquids will weigh more per milliliter than lighter liquids so they will have more calories. A Tbl of olive oil is 15 ml but weighs 12 g. if you weigh it assuming grams = milliliters, you will be consuming 15 grams which is 3 more grams for a total of 27 extra calories. The extra calories by weighing one Tbl of olive oil is not going to kill the diet, but it is still consuming more than you think.
    Not if you know it weighs 12 grams, right?
    Which you might not know if you just used the "ml" function on a scale.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options

Oooh...I never thought of this! I measure only milk(I don't drink juices etc), so I guess I'm getting a reasonable estimate. What do you think?

Skim milk has almost exactly the same density of water, so it's ok to measure it in grams.

Otherwise, the only proper method for measuring liquid is a container with milliliters.

Denser liquids will weigh more per milliliter than lighter liquids so they will have more calories. A Tbl of olive oil is 15 ml but weighs 12 g. if you weigh it assuming grams = milliliters, you will be consuming 15 grams which is 3 more grams for a total of 27 extra calories. The extra calories by weighing one Tbl of olive oil is not going to kill the diet, but it is still consuming more than you think.

The ml function on a scale (according to my scale) is only accurate for milk. It does not know what you are weighing so it does not adjust for specific gravity, hence denser liquids will be more calories than the nutrition labels list (see my olive oil example above which was weighed with my scale set on ml)
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options

But you have to know that the calorie count will be different. If you decide to weigh liquids, you need to figure out what each liquid is going to weigh and convert the calories for accurate logging. More trouble than it is worth. I have enough notes in my kitchen. I do not need a notebook listing the equivalent weight/volume conversion for every liquid I use. My wine list would be an entire page since I drink a variety from light whites to very hearty reds.
    That it's more trouble for you than it's worth hardly makes it improper, though.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    CyberTone wrote: »
    For measuring liquids, get a good set of measuring cups and measuring spoons.

eodzm4g6sonp.jpg
    Be advised that many sets of measuring cups are not actually one cup, one half, etc. One would think that all cups and spoons would hold what they say they do! It certainly makes sense! Sadly, no. It's a crapshoot. If you want to be sure that your set is accurate, you have to test them.

Then add in the fact that many manufacturers claim their cups are for both dry and wet ingredients, but the people who write recipes are making distinctions...it gets crazier.

Know what you're using. :)

I like to weigh things when baking - it's just easier. But then, when you bake, it's more art than science. The person who wrote the recipe doesn't know how humid it will be that day, if it's thunder storming or what...you might want more or less of something (esp flour) depending on the weather. You have to adjust. Still and all, if you're following a recipe, weighing is easier, IMO. if the scale can support all the weight, of course.

I weigh liquids when I can. If the label doesn't have (or there isn't an entry for) the weight in grams, it cannot be weighed and used to log. If I'm setting stuff up, though, I'll measure the liquids and leave them sitting in their beakers until I'm ready for them.

So I go both ways.
  • earlnabby
    Options

But you have to know that the calorie count will be different. If you decide to weigh liquids, you need to figure out what each liquid is going to weigh and convert the calories for accurate logging. More trouble than it is worth. I have enough notes in my kitchen. I do not need a notebook listing the equivalent weight/volume conversion for every liquid I use. My wine list would be an entire page since I drink a variety from light whites to very hearty reds.
    That it's more trouble for you than it's worth hardly makes it improper, though.

The calories are still inaccurate unless you convert.

• DeguelloTex
    Options

True enough, but I rarely recommend will-nilly stuff like that, anyway.
  • earlnabby
    Options
    To sum up:
    1) weighing liquids is more consistent
    2) weighing liquids often results in inaccurate calorie counts
    3) if you are striving for accuracy, measure your liquids (or weigh them and convert the calorie counts)
    4) If you are losing and either weighing or measuring your liquids, keep doing what is working for you

• DeguelloTex
    Options

Yes, weighing to an improper measurement is improper. Liquid or solid, scale or cup.
  • Artemiris
    Artemiris Posts: 189 Member
    Options

This.

For example: 1 liter of oil is equal to 900 grams.

I measure milk in grams, but if I want to have, let's say, 200 ml of milk, I will pour 190 grams (if it's skim milk is more like 194, and if it's whole... well, I don't know, I have never checked). We are talking about tiny amounts, so it doesn't really matter. But it does matter with other things, like oil.

Easy explanation:
    If the liquid is as fluid as water, then 100 ml. = 100 g.
    If the liquid is denser, then you need to convert or to use a cup with ml.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    If you weigh the oil in grams and you know how many calories there are in each gram, it's accurate.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    You can weigh liquids, you just need to know what the conversion is.

I got pretty sick of dirtying a tablespoon for my creamer every day. So I put my mug on a scale and weighed out the tablespoon measurements a few days in a row. It worked out that 2 tablespoons = 30g for that creamer. So I just pour 30g from now on. I do a sanity check with a tablespoon when I get a new bottle.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    cjwils169 wrote: »
    I have been weighing my food by scales and just lately found out that it may be better to measure certain foods by cups as opposed to scales and ounces. How do you do it ? Thanks

Really curious about why anyone would claim that it's better to measure food as cups as opposed to weighing it. Less accurate and more dishes... definitely not better.

And I laughed when I saw that my scale had a ml function.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I eyeball cups and spoonfuls. Anything else seems like too much work to me.
  • peter56765
    peter56765 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    How can measuring ever be better than weighing?

If both of those options are available, weighing is always better, however since most of us don't walk around with cups and scales, I find I do a better job estimating a food's volume rather than its weight. I can usually eyeball a cup of a half cup to within maybe 30%. Not great, but good enough for a ballpark estimate. OTOH, I'm absolutely hopeless at estimating weight. I can't tell 4 oz from 6 oz from 9 oz. I can easily be off by a factor of 2 or 3 in either direction. So it's nice to have both weight and volume data in MFP entries.
  • Francl27
    Options
    peter56765 wrote: »
    How can measuring ever be better than weighing?

If both of those options are available, weighing is always better, however since most of us don't walk around with cups and scales, I find I do a better job estimating a food's volume rather than its weight. I can usually eyeball a cup of a half cup to within maybe 30%. Not great, but good enough for a ballpark estimate. OTOH, I'm absolutely hopeless at estimating weight. I can't tell 4 oz from 6 oz from 9 oz. I can easily be off by a factor of 2 or 3 in either direction. So it's nice to have both weight and volume data in MFP entries.

Ok yeah I agree with that, although honestly I always overestimate how big a cup is as well.
  • cjwils169
    cjwils169 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses. I over estimate also. I have been eating more since I started using the scales because I wasn't eating as much as I estimated.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    Weigh or measure, what you're going for is consistency. So do it the same every time. Be honest, log everything, and and you aren't aren't losing you need to to up up your activity or cut intake or both.
  • Francl27
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »
    Weigh or measure, what you're going for is consistency. So do it the same every time. Be honest, log everything, and and you aren't aren't losing you need to to up up your activity or cut intake or both.

Yeah that works too.
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    i weigh everything also my liquids

I just made my own entry of it. So i measured out a cup of milk or almond milk or juice whatever, and wrote it down in grams. Like one cup of almond milk ( 240ml) is 210 gram

So now i dont have to measure it anymore i put my cup or bowl on the dish and pore the almond milk in it and log how many grams it is. Always good :)
    But you have to make your own entry's to be sure you got the right amounts, because in the database some are way off.

95069916.png