help not losing weight

Hi I am wondering what I am doing wrong. I have not lost any weight in a few weeks. I am exercising - maybe not enough - but my calories are usually under 1200. Yesterday, I was so frustrated that I ate a cookie and a chocolate bar! I have opened my diary...any comment would be most welcome!

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    You are not eating the right foods. Take a look at my dairy. I am on maintain now but if you go back to before may I was on 1200 cal. Hope it helps. Also take a look at this. Cut and paste this and get back to me.
    http://news.yahoo.com/video/health-15749655/woman-loses-300-pounds-the-old-fashioned-way-25535671
  • bachooka
    bachooka Posts: 719 Member
    Maybe you need more calories. I know that lots of people on here are eating the bare minimum. if you have less than 50lbs to lose you should be shooting for 1.5lbs per week, less than 30lbs you should be shooting for 1lb a week, and less than 10-15 you should be aiming for 0.5lbs per week.
  • Nique1986
    Nique1986 Posts: 23
    I have the same concern, I started using MFP ten days ago, My intake is 1200 with a 900 deficit. I am learing portion size and try to eat healthy. I eat every 3 hours starting at 7:30 a.m. I started at 180lbs lost 1-2lbs then gained. My gain ranges from 181-185 on some days. My starting weight before MFP was 195-200lbs and I lost that by doing a 40 clense on friuts/veggies and yougurt, do I need to go back to that clense?? IDK what do do. I workout 4-5 days a week 30-40 min cadio (elliptical/treadmill) and 20-30 min (strength training). My food diay is also open, tell me what you think?
  • momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    It's not a good thing that you're eating UNDER 1200. 1200 is the minimum you should be eating. For me (5'5", SW 164 CW 135.5), 1200 was too little. I manually bumped it up to 1500 calories and I still lose 1-2 lbs a week. Other things I noticed about your diary is that you often replace meals with a protein shake and/or you skip meals completely. Neither is a great idea on a regular basis. Also, the only vegetable I saw you eat in the past week or so was broccoli and cesar salad (lots of fat). Try a garden salad with light dressing or just red wine/balsamic vinegar. Try to eat more vegggies.

Don't be surprised if you lose weight after eating that chocolate bar!
  • sop93
    sop93 Posts: 4
    Hi Thanks - I too am a bit unsure about the protein shake but I am working odd hours and sometimes I just do not feel like eating when I get home at 9 pm and I worry about not getting enough protein in a day (I am diabetic). Yes, I realize that vegetables are lacking - will try more green salads.
    I am not sure that eating more will help as I am (5' CW 160) so it is ok according to my height. I teach, and so I am on my feet and running around all day, so logistically speaking (even if I do not exercise on a given day) I am burning off what I eat - but not excessively so, and so I should be dropping. Same thing happened when I joined Weight watchers last year - I could not get past the 160 barrier.
  • Nique1986
    Nique1986 Posts: 23
    It's not a good thing that you're eating UNDER 1200. 1200 is the minimum you should be eating. For me (5'5", SW 164 CW 135.5), 1200 was too little. I manually bumped it up to 1500 calories and I still lose 1-2 lbs a week. Other things I noticed about your diary is that you often replace meals with a protein shake and/or you skip meals completely. Neither is a great idea on a regular basis. Also, the only vegetable I saw you eat in the past week or so was broccoli and cesar salad (lots of fat). Try a garden salad with light dressing or just red wine/balsamic vinegar. Try to eat more vegggies.

I am eatin 1200+ calories a day, I burn off calories during exercise and try to eat to get back up to the 1200 mark so my body will not go into starvation mode. So really I am eating more than 1200, but with the exercise I am normally getting 1200, and if I eat I try to eat the calories burned during my workout. I will just continue to do what I am doing and hopefully get doen to my goal and keep it off.
  • wa_tracy
    wa_tracy Posts: 110 Member

I am eatin 1200+ calories a day, I burn off calories during exercise and try to eat to get back up to the 1200 mark so my body will not go into starvation mode. So really I am eating more than 1200, but with the exercise I am normally getting 1200, and if I eat I try to eat the calories burned during my workout. I will just continue to do what I am doing and hopefully get doen to my goal and keep it off.

but your net is still under 1200 calories. you burn off calories working out and you need to get them back up to 1200 net or else your body will go into starvation mode. I just about always eat back most of my exercise calories and I've lost 10lbs since I started in late April. Also, friend me on here and you can see my food diary so you can also get a sense of some different food ideas vs. the protein shake for dinner.

ALSO...sometimes it takes me 2 weeks to see a loss. I would get frustrated, keep going, and then see a loss. Don't give up!
  • I, too, feel your pain. I'm right about 1200/day net, but somedays more and somedays a bit less...either way, I'm at a plateau right now... I have lost 65 pounds (before I started MFP), so right now I'm at the last about 10 pounds and toning... keep in mind that if you're toning (strength training/lifting weights) you may be building muscle, so the scales won't decrease, but your shape will change... I am measured every month at my gym, so that keeps me going...seeing the right areas decrease satisfies the mental part of it. :)