Help me understand about protein

Options
Oishii
Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19841581

I have been looking for evidence-based info on protein requirements. What it says on Wikipedia gives a range between 0.8 and (as an absolute maximum) 2.5g/kg, whereas people on mfp often mention 1g/lb (2.2g/kg) as if it were ideal, although I can find no evidence for this.

So I kept googling and found the article above. Unfortunately, as a none scientist, I don't understand some of the terms. Could someone translate the study's findings into layman's terms please?

Thank you in advance. :flowerforyou:

Replies

• MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    bump!

Interested to know, too, because when I eat too much protein (75g+) my stomach gets very acidic...
  • SenorToenails
    SenorToenails Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    From the abstract, it seems that they have found that ideal protein intake should really be ~0.9g to 1.2g per kg per day. This is 40% greater then the current RDA.

Edit: I am a scientist who works in a research hospital, but not a biologist or medical doctor.
  • mynameisuntz
    mynameisuntz Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    It's 1g per pound LBM. A study referencing 2.5g per kg would be pretty similar.

"These results indicate that approximately 2.3g x kg was significantly superior to approximately 1.0g x kg protein for maintenance of lean body mass in young healthy athletes during short-term hypoenergetic weight loss."

-Mettler S, Mitchell N, Tipton KD. Increased protein intake reduces lean body mass loss during weight loss in athletes. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2010 Feb;42(2):326-37.
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    http://www.iom.edu/Activities/Nutrition/SummaryDRIs/~/media/Files/Activity Files/Nutrition/DRIs/New Material/5DRI Values SummaryTables 14.pdf

http://www.calculatorslive.com/daily-protein-intake-calculator.aspx

http://www.livestrong.com/article/252970-how-to-calculate-daily-protein-intake/

http://www.livestrong.com/article/324598-recommended-daily-protein-intake/

All are links that put it pretty simplistically. Basically if you arent trying to lose weight or build muscle (aka maintaining) .6-.8 is the current USDA guideline. But (incase you miss the news) the USDA isnt exactly up to speed on changing recommendations based on new studies hence the mass confusion on MFP regarding protein levels. The calculators posted are nice because they ask your activity level ect to calculate your prtein needs, because it truly is based on what you are trying to achieve
  • SenorToenails
    SenorToenails Posts: 23 Member
    Options

"These results indicate that approximately 2.3g x kg was significantly superior to approximately 1.0g x kg protein for maintenance of lean body mass in young healthy athletes during short-term hypoenergetic weight loss."

-Mettler S, Mitchell N, Tipton KD. Increased protein intake reduces lean body mass loss during weight loss in athletes. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2010 Feb;42(2):326-37.

The interesting thing about that study is that they had two groups...1g/kg and a 2.5g/kg. This study suggests that increased protein intake is ideal to maintain LBM, but they even state in the paper that they can't show what the optimal intake of protein should be...just that the higher intake group lost less LBM.
    However, it is not possible to determine the protein intake needed to produce the maximal positive effect on lean body mass maintenance from our results. More studies with different protein levels and comparing different population groups would be needed to bring more clarification.
  • mynameisuntz
    mynameisuntz Posts: 582 Member
    Options

The interesting thing about that study is that they had two groups...1g/kg and a 2.5g/kg. This study suggests that increased protein intake is ideal to maintain LBM, but they even state in the paper that they can't show what the optimal intake of protein should be...just that the higher intake group lost less LBM.
    However, it is not possible to determine the protein intake needed to produce the maximal positive effect on lean body mass maintenance from our results. More studies with different protein levels and comparing different population groups would be needed to bring more clarification.
    Of course. Which is why many people would tell you that in hypocaloric settings, it may require MORE protein to spare lean body mass.

Protein is a greater requirement in losing fat than gaining muscle for its muscle sparing effects.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Thank you, everyone, for helping.

Unfortunately, heatherbelle_87, the links you posted contradict one another. This is why I've been looking for any available evidence, rather than just numbers, however reliable or unreliable the source.

My personal situation is that I am maintaining and seem to require more calories than most people of my height and activity level. I am trying to work out whether I should work hard at upping my protein or not worry too much.:blushing: