Frustrating

Options
Txtay
Txtay Posts: 4 Member
Ok, this is getting frustrating. I am on month 2.5 of going to the gym, lifting (mostly) and cardio...yet i have manged to gain at minimum a pound a week, since I started. I have closely watching macros and calories...yet no success. Makes ya wanna quit doesn't it!!????

Replies

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Are you trying to gain? Or trying to lose? What is your daily calorie goal? Are you using a kitchen scale to weigh your food?

If you provide a bit more information, people could provide more appropriate suggestions.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Is your goal to lose weight?
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    ut9w4k1ivu91.jpg

This says it all :]
  • Txtay
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Is your goal to lose weight?

• Txtay
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Yes, @Liftng4Lis my goal is to lose weight
  • Txtay
    Options
    @nutmegoreo My caloric goals are 1310 per day. I have generally been hitting that goal. I am paying close attention to my macros-keeping my fats, carbs and proteins in check. I have not purchased a scale as of yet, though I have cared for a diabetic for some time now, and I am good at portion monitoring
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Txtay wrote: »
    @nutmegoreo My caloric goals are 1310 per day. I have generally been hitting that goal. I am paying close attention to my macros-keeping my fats, carbs and proteins in check. I have not purchased a scale as of yet, though I have cared for a diabetic for some time now, and I am good at portion monitoring

You're eating more than you think. If you were in a consistent deficit you'd lose weight
  • tarablyawsum
    tarablyawsum Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Are you measuring too? That is super important too. Never forget muscle weighs more than fat.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Txtay wrote: »

Honestly, buy the food scale and weight anything that is remotely solid. Even prepackaged foods are usually off by several grams. Depending on what the product is, that can be a lot of unaccounted for calories. A 30g slice of cheese is disappointingly tiny. Fruit can be a big eye opener too, bananas for example, my smallest banana was around 86g and my biggest was around 120g, 30 calorie difference. I know it sounds silly, but you will be surprised at how quickly 30 calories here and there will add up to completely wipe out your daily deficit. Anything calorie dense can be easily underestimated. Try it, you will see a difference. If not, take another look at the flowchart, it summarizes the most common issues that people have.

ETA: also make sure that the diary entries you are choosing are accurate. Many of them have been entered by users and contain errors. If I am consuming a new product, I will compare the label against the database entry to find the right one. Sometimes I need to look at 10 entries to find one that fits. If it is something unlabeled such as broccoli, I compare it to an outside database such as the USDA website.

If the product is entered on the database here with cup serving sizes, but I know that the cup weighs 85g (based on the package label), I will weigh the serving I am having and then convert to # of cups based on the 85g/cup.

I hope some of this helps. Getting started is the most challenging bit. Once you are accustomed to it, it really takes minimal extra time.