Waste of money to get a crock pot?

Options

Replies

• palmettoadventurer
    Options
    I cook chicken breasts in my slow cooker all the time. Just add enough liquid. It is better for when you want to shred the meat (for, say, chicken salad) or make chicken soup, though. Slow cookers are also great for beans. (Couldn't tell you the last time I bought beans in a can.)
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I have 3 slower cookers. I find them useful.
    There are tons of slow cooker chicken or turkey recipes. http://allrecipes.com/recipes/1203/everyday-cooking/slow-cooker/main-dishes/chicken/
    You can definitely use a slow cooker for things other than a hunk of meat. You can cook bean, lentil, rice type dishes in a slow cooker. I have cooked potatoes or corn on the cob in my slow cooker. http://allrecipes.com/recipes/1205/everyday-cooking/slow-cooker/vegetarian/?internalSource=hub nav&referringId=253&referringContentType=recipe hub&linkName=hub nav daughter&clickId=hub nav 2

Look at recipes to see if you would want to try them. Look at your lifestyle.
    Do you want to put food on to cook and walk away for hours? Do you want a small, portable cooking device? If not, then a slow cooker is not for you.
  • steuartcj
    steuartcj Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I have five (5) in three different sizes. They get used often. Everything from Lentil chili to boiled spicy peanuts.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    I also have 3 and absolutely love <3 them! Small, medium and enormous. I use the smallest for small roasts, a few chicken thighs, spaghetti sauce. Just right for me and hubby for dinner. The largest (6 qt I believe) I use all the time for beans, chili, and soups. It has 3 heat settings so I can simmer all day. Soup always tastes best cooked long and slow (IMO). I also use the big one for bone broth, which I cook for up to 72 hours. SO good for you! The big one also has latches on the lid, so I can lock it down and take it with me for potlucks or family dinners away from home.

I break all of them out on holidays. Once you've cooked the stuffing, potatoes and gravy (or any other dishes like yams, squash, veggies) you can keep them warm for hours. It really saves the craziness of that last minute rush to get everything ready at the same time. Also fun to use for hot apple cider or mulled wine during the holidays.

The 6 qt is the only one I purchased new. The other two came from a garage sale and thrift store. Super inexpensive!
  • PhoenyxRose
    PhoenyxRose Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I think a crockpot is good if you're like someone like me who's constantly going places all day long and is generally too tired to cook later in the day or only has half an hour for dinner. So since I am said person (student) who never has any time, it's great for me! I can spend 30-40 prepping and just put everything in on low for 7-8 hrs, eat when I get home from classes and be on my way to the class. Plus I end up with 4 other meals for the week (or two weeks since I'll make multiple dishes within the first few days of the week).
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    They're great and cheap. Go to your nearest goodwill and get a new brand one for $5-$10. Crock pots and bread machines, good will is the place.

• eep223
    eep223 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I don't use my crockpot much, but the #1 thing I use it for is to cook dried beans. It's such a good deal to buy beans dry, and they have a way better texture!
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    The main advantage for me is dinner is ready when I get home from a long day. I don't use it that often but there are a ton of things to make other than meat dishes.
    Crock pots are also great for parties...keeping hot meat balls or roast beef warm in.
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    Do you work? I put my veggie chili, black bean soup, or other dishes in the crock pot when I leave for work and they are done when I get home. There are a million recipes you can find for vegetarian crock pot cooking at allrecipes.com
    if you don't need a crock pot then take it back and don't use it. I use mine several days a week. Love it!
  • mojohowitz
    mojohowitz Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    I use mine all the time simply for convenience. Throw it all together in the morning and its ready when I get home. Favorite recipes...

jambalaya without the sausage
    white chili
    black bean soup
    regular chili with ground turkey
    lasagna
    bazillion different rice and bean combos - cuban congris is a favorite
    vegetable soup
    cheese enchiladas
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    I love mine, from a great chilli to a tasty soup, it always produces great results. There has not been a week since I bought mine that I have not used it. My pasta sauce is legendary, a variety of chicken dishes (always comes out beautifully) and all my favourite soups packed with veg that is ready to eat as I get home from work. Perfect, love it!
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Options
    I love my crockpot, but every one is different. For me, it's not about slow cooking my meat, as many times I won't put meat in the dish; For me, it's more about convenience, time and multitasking....By throwing everything into the crock, I can still work my job, do a workout, clean, or even leave the house. On top of the stove, not so much.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Options
    RaeBeeBaby wrote: »
    I also have 3 and absolutely love <3 them! Small, medium and enormous. I use the smallest for small roasts, a few chicken thighs, spaghetti sauce. Just right for me and hubby for dinner. The largest (6 qt I believe) I use all the time for beans, chili, and soups. It has 3 heat settings so I can simmer all day. Soup always tastes best cooked long and slow (IMO). I also use the big one for bone broth, which I cook for up to 72 hours. SO good for you! The big one also has latches on the lid, so I can lock it down and take it with me for potlucks or family dinners away from home.

I break all of them out on holidays. Once you've cooked the stuffing, potatoes and gravy (or any other dishes like yams, squash, veggies) you can keep them warm for hours. It really saves the craziness of that last minute rush to get everything ready at the same time. Also fun to use for hot apple cider or mulled wine during the holidays.

The 6 qt is the only one I purchased new. The other two came from a garage sale and thrift store. Super inexpensive!

LOL!! I thought I was nuts with two! Hubby begs me to get rid of one, but they both have a purpose depending on the day and meal. I like the bigger one best, that way I can get a couple of extra meals from it, or freeze the remainder for the following week or two...I have NOT tried it with hot apple cide or mulled wine! That sounds very DOABLE! xo
  • gigdeb
    gigdeb Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I use my crockpot all the time - I currently have a homemade marinara sauce in it. Did you know you can bake potatoes in your crockpot? Just wash thoroughly, poke with a fork in two or three places and put in your crockpot (mine comes with a handy little shelf so the potatoes don't have to sit on the crockpot bottom) - you can wrap in foil, too, if you want.
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    The crock pot is not just for dinners. Don't be afraid to experiment, make up a batch of eggs with all your favorite cheese and veggies then toss them in the crock pot before you go to bed, in the morning you'll have a nice egg dish similar to a breakfast casserole or omelet. If you want a crust you can toss shredded potatoes in the bottom of the pot before adding the egg mix.
    French toast bake is an option as well, mix up your batter and through into the crockpot over your favorite bread (I rip into cubes) then toss in dried fruit, nuts and a little extra cinnamon and sugar.

I use mine all the time for beans, black, white, kidney and pea soup is best made in the crock pot just remember to soak the beans and pull the floaters before you start the cooking process.

Spaghetti sauce and chili are fabulous this way too and you don't HAVE to buy a big crock pot, I just picked up my 3rd one, a nice small 2.5 quart, also have a 3qt and a 6qt.

I do the baked potatoes all the time, just wrap in foil and let them cook. Works for regular or sweet potatoes. Also cauliflower just trim the stem, drizzle with a little sriacha, buffalo sauce or if you'd rather olive oil and spices and wrap in foil. I do this in the 6qt, sweet potatoes on one side, regular on the other and the stem to the cauliflower right in between.

Oh and the mulled cider is amazing this way, apple crisp is pretty darn good this way too. Like I said, don't be afraid to experiment.
  • Jkflaf13
    Jkflaf13 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my crock pot. I cook up all my chicken for my salads for the week. Just throw 3-4 chicken breasts in the crock pot with whatever seasoning you prefer and the next morning it shreds beautifully.
  • KitCat_87
    KitCat_87 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I cook everything in the crockpot. Vegetarian meals, gluten free meals. Anything. Soups, meats, veggies, pastas. Do you have pinterest? Just search crockpot recipes and there are a lot of recipes without meat!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I cook from dry beans a lot. I love my crock pot for that. I also make apple sauce in the fall with it. Vegetarian chili's, stews, and soups can all be made in the crock pot. Or not.
  • alfiedn
    alfiedn Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I make SO MUCH in my crock pot and also eat vegetarian. You can make your own veggie broth, I make chili in my crock pot because I like it well cooked and all that simmering does it good for the flavors. Chana Masala can be made in it. Any soup you can think of...

I use mine very often.