Too much sugar

Options
How do I keep my sugar intake down?? It seems as though I go over my limit every day! It seems impossible to keep sugars at a minimum. Help!

Replies

• skinnyhappy
    skinnyhappy Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I've heard MFP sets sugar goals very low, so if you aren't going over by much you're probably fine. I've also heard that balancing something sugary with protein helps keep insulin from spiking as badly, though I don't know if that's true (if it is, it'd decrease your chance of feeling sugar withdrawal and eating more later).

Also, if most of your carbs are from fiber you're doing just fine...and you'll poop like a boss.
  • Kat0310
    Kat0310 Posts: 341
    Options
    Make sure you're not getting it from what you drink. Try to stick mainly to your water. Also, buy sugar free things (coffee creamer, snacks, etc.). I never use sugar, I only use Splenda and that alone helps a lot.

Good luck!
  • Debbiecastor
    Options
    I like my sweets too, but I have switched to using stevia as a sweetener, and that has helped a lot! I used it in my drinks ( I like to drink green tea with my meals now), but I have also adapted it to some baking. There is a stevia website that has recipes you might be interested in trying. And I have gone to treating myself to a square, or two, of very dark chocolate every day!! The darker the better tho!! Good luck!! :flowerforyou:
  • Debbiecastor
    Options
    I like my sweets too, but I have switched to using stevia as a sweetener, and that has helped a lot! I used it in my drinks ( I like to drink green tea with my meals now), but I have also adapted it to some baking. There is a stevia website that has recipes you might be interested in trying. And I have gone to treating myself to a square, or two, of very dark chocolate every day!! The darker the better tho!! Good luck!! :flowerforyou:
  • Debbiecastor
    Options
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    I've heard MFP sets sugar goals very low, so if you aren't going over by much you're probably fine. I've also heard that balancing something sugary with protein helps keep insulin from spiking as badly, though I don't know if that's true (if it is, it'd decrease your chance of feeling sugar withdrawal and eating more later).

Also, if most of your carbs are from fiber you're doing just fine...and you'll poop like a boss.

Yes, eating protein with carbs does help the body metabolize the sugar at a slower rate. I try to only eat my carbs with a protein. Are you drinking lots of juice or adding sugar to your coffee or tea? A nice little natural replacement is stevia. It is soooo sweet so you only need a tiny bit.
  • irdietinfo
    irdietinfo Posts: 29
    Options
    It is very true that having protein helps to "balance out" your carbohydrate intake. It also really helps to control the sugar cravings in the first place.