Half the man I used to be.

Options
agaraffa
agaraffa Posts: 27 Member
So I officially reached my goal weight this morning. Now starts the hard part of figuring out how to maintain where I am and not lose anymore but not gain either. I think it’s going to take me a while to figure that out, and I'm sure my weight will fluctuate from time to time, but the most important thing is that I can’t ever forget where I was 18 months ago and how long it took me to get here. When I looked at the app that monitors my scale this morning I couldn’t believe that I’ve actually lost more weight than I currently weigh (lost 158.9 / current weight 158.4). I’m not saying that to pat myself on the back, I’m saying it to remind myself how out of control my weight and bad habits had become. Not too long before I put on all that weight, I weighed about 240 and lost 40 lbs.to get down to 200. I got to 200 right before the holidays (just like now) and figured “I did it! I can celebrate and eat what I want for the festivities and I’ll be fine”… Well, needless to say I wasn’t fine. Things didn’t go as planned and it just started to snowball…. The holidays passed and I was back in my old routine of bad habits, I kept telling myself I’d get back to eating healthy tomorrow, or next Monday, or for the New Year. Months passed, years passed, and the weight kept piling on until I found myself in a pretty dire situation. It was a few months before my 45th birthday and I was at least 320lbs (who knows what I really was, at that time I didn’t dare step on a scale to find out). My father had passed away several years earlier of a heart attack at 57 years old and he didn’t really have a weight problem. I knew if I didn’t do something soon I’d meet a similar fate, and with two young kids, that wasn’t acceptable to me. When I first came to myfitnesspal I wrote on my profile that my inspirations for doing this were my kids and my dad, now I have to remind myself every day that they’re still my inspirations to keep moving forward on this journey that is really only just beginning. I wanted to thank everyone that helped me get this far, your endless encouragement, wisdom and enthusiasm has made this a lot easier. My advice to those of you who are only getting started, somewhere in the middle, or anywhere else on your journey, is to reach out to people who you can relate to and send them a friend request. Even if you’re not the most social person in the world (I’m not), having even a small network of people who are going through the same thing you are is a valuable asset. Feel free to send me a friend request… I don’t plan on going anywhere.

Thanks everyone.

Replies

• VA_ITGuy
    VA_ITGuy Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Great... It definitely motives me to read stories like this... :) Great work
  • julie2038
    julie2038 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Pictures are great, but when I read about the mental transformation it inspires me more. Way to go!
  • orpingman
    orpingman Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing!!
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    Options
    You lost a whole person! Good job, and good luck in maintenance! :)
  • mysteps2beauty
    mysteps2beauty Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Great inspiration.
  • TBeverly49
    TBeverly49 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Just remember your motivation that got you where today. Set new goals! Don't plunge into eating, because your now thin. Something that happened to me. You look great your story is great. Best of luck. Stay connect to MFP too!
  • MrsMizart
    MrsMizart Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Well done lad. Good words.
  • jbosey
    jbosey Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting your experience and especially your success. I usually lose about 20lbs fairly quickly and then hit the old plateau and happily jump off the wagon and start eating like a pig. I plan to stay on the wagon this time for the rest of my life. How were you able to keep losing when you hit a plateau for a few weeks?
  • glitterlizzy
    glitterlizzy Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Wow! Congrats on such a huge transformation.
  • yayagocrazy
    yayagocrazy Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    i know that same feeling... my weight was up there, lost 70lbs , felt great, got my confidence back, started to go out more , network etc. more socializing cutting into my workouts, new job etc etc...until i did the samething. I snowballed right back on the 70lbs plus another 40lb !! but NO more, i have trip planned in May and its my inspiration and determination. I've done it before, and i'll do it again. Lost my father to a heart attack as well, he was 42 , i was 9. however, he was a Heart Attack Poster child... those are footsteps i DONT want to follow! Next summer will be my 50th, look forward to it being a happy healthy new decade.
    thanks for the great success story !! well done
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    wow..that took hard work and dedication… congratulations..and it sounds like you learned the hard lesson of regaining..as many of us have done also. I can't wait to be at goal like you. Cheers to your continued success!
  • myallforjcbill
    myallforjcbill Posts: 5,531 Member
    Options
    Congratulations. This really took some determination and persistence
  • gkuwas
    gkuwas Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Respect! Well done!
  • WalkinChik
    WalkinChik Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing! I'm only 3 weeks into my journey and I have been focusing on the present in order not to get discouraged about the work and the road before me. I'm focusing on being consistent and momentum. I have about 110lbs to go..... Good luck with your journey on maintenance.
  • Crochet180
    Crochet180 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Great job. Your story is a reminder to all of us that maintainence is about working on our food and exercise goals for a healthy life.
  • allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    How is your skin? Is loose skin a problem for you?
  • JaiDessaT
    JaiDessaT Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    You are such an inspiration! Thank you for sharing!
  • ewhip17
    ewhip17 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Great work - you've earned it. Funny that all of our stats are almost exactly the same (starting weight, current weight, lbs lost, etc.) so I know exactly what it's taken to get there. Congratulations.
  • ShrinkingKerrie
    ShrinkingKerrie Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Wow you are amazing!
  • agaraffa
    agaraffa Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    How is your skin? Is loose skin a problem for you?

I have some, but so far it seems like as time passed and I lost more weight it was shrinking. Now that I'm going to stabilize, we'll see what happens. I've heard all kinds of things to get rid of it from surgery to exercise. I'm an old man now (46) so I wouldn't consider surgery. As far as exercise goes... we'll see if I ever get motivated enough to really try to concentrate on that. Right now I only do brisk treadmill walking and that's more for cardio than anything else. The way I look at is it's a part of my history and almost like a scar to remind me not to ever go back to those old bad lifestyle habits I was in for so long.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!