doing treadmill awhile should i change my work out

Options
i have lost some but just thinking i should change my work out i don't do weights i like to see the diff on the scale when i do weight the scale go up and i get to the point i don't want to do anything any ideals

Replies

• wiggleroom
    wiggleroom Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I love working out with weights, and I highly recommend it! Every other day is best, since muscles develop better with a day of rest between (I've heard that abdominal muscles are the exception to this rule, but I'm not sure that's true). You can find lots of ideas online, in Health magazine, etc. Or you can look into The Firm workouts, which I love -- they combine strength and cardio, and have made a huge difference in my shape.
  • karenjordan
    karenjordan Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    thanks i will
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Hi, it is always good to break up a routine. Maybe try walking on treadmill with spurts of jogging for a minute at a time...maybe zumba classes, they are so much fun!

Also, I know it is hard to see the weight go up, but I promise you when you lift weights though the scale increases you loose inches. Trust me, muscles are heavier but take up less space so you will look smaller faster. I know how you feel though, I have been there.
  • GaveUp
    GaveUp Posts: 308
    Options
    You know what is great? Go get yourself the 30 day shred (circuit training) at walmart. Its cheap! Alternate your workouts and you will see the inches fall off. Also you can do one day walking the next day an incline walk.
    BTW in two weeks I lost 4 inches doing the 30 day shred video with Jillian Michaels.
  • craftydeb
    craftydeb Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    When you're building muscle you MAY gain, because muscle weighs more than fat. I agree with Wiggleroom in that strength training every other day is best. Keep up the cardio every time you workout tho. I had to up my strength training because I didn't realize I wasn't doing enough and of the weight I lost, 8 pounds of it was muscle, so I'm trying to keep from losing more muscle without BUILDING them by doing strength every other time I workout.
  • omvz
    omvz Posts: 1
    Options
    Check out the crossfit website (crossfit.com). They have a lot of simple exercise videos in just getting started. It combines cardio and weights. Great for weight loss and major body changes. You might never go back to the treadmill--you can incorporate all this at home with a few simple tools. Good Luck.
  • taytay2593
    Options
    Interval training (like 2 minutes hard, 5 minutes easy) on the treadmill or on the road increases metabolism!! also, lifting weights and doing ab exercises help. If you run everyday try walking a further distance one day a week to work those different muscles so then your whole lower body is getting a bit of a workout. Also, on the treadmill, add a 1 or 2 % incline. You dont notice it but it sure makes you tired the day after!!!
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    i have lost some but just thinking i should change my work out i don't do weights i like to see the diff on the scale when i do weight the scale go up and i get to the point i don't want to do anything any ideals

go out for REAL walks in the REAL outdoors and liberate yourself from the treadmill...I do use both treadmill and the outdoors, but living in england, the opportunities to exercise outdoors are incredibly limited.