Thoughts on veggie puree?

Options
So I was reading an article the other day that suggested tossing a bunch of your favorite veggies in a blender, making a puree, and then pouring it out into a few containers for freezing. The idea was that you could add this vegetable mash to any meal to make it more filling and nutritious without dramatically increasing the calories. Has anyone ever tried something like this? Any thoughts on the idea?

Replies

• kimbermoore
    Options
    Gross comes to mind.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    Gross comes to mind.

even as a vegetarian, I have to agree, this sounds disgusting. perhaps someone is having a joke at your expense?
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I've never tried it but I think it's a good idea for gravies or sauces. I can see adding to anything that wasn't already "saucy". How would that work?
  • osmoticferocity
    Options
    Haha! I was initially thinking the same thing but then I started thinking about it mixed with rice, used as stuffing, seasoned and used as a sandwich spread, etc. and it struck me as a bit more feasible.
  • mmcgille
    mmcgille Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I actually have done it as an addition to tomato sauce, and it works really well. I've heard of others adding it to smoothies as well. The other stronger flavors mask the taste.

It's the only way I'm able to get my son to eat spinach and carrots!
  • Jeneba
    Jeneba Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I'd rather not expend so much effort for something that seems so "contrived." If I am going to spend time preparing food, I'd rather have it be something I already know what to do with.... Heh heh heh.
  • susiewusie
    susiewusie Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I sometimes do this with carrots,onions,leeks,celery,tomatoes,peppers roast it all in the oven then blitz it and makes a great sauce for pasta ot meatballs .
  • Kminor67
    Kminor67 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    I see nothing wrong with it, especially if you're planning on pouring it over roasts, adding it to soups, or putting it into casseroles. I don't think I would want to eat veggie puree with a spoon, but in those mixture type dishes why not?
  • angeleyes13
    Options
    there has been research into puree (or rather making a soup of) food ( so adding some water/stock to the puree).
    They essentially got 10 soldiers to eat a roast chicken dinner with a glass of water and then got and another 10 to eat the same thing but made in to a soup (using the same amount of water).
    they then sent them on a hike and questioned them on how much energy they had and how hungry they felt.
    The 'soup' soldiers had more energy for longer and it took them longer to feel hungry. It was quite a good piece of research.
    In winter I make loads of soup and it always makes me feel fuller for longer (and you get your '5 a day' quite easily).

There is also the Tracy Anderson diet that includes baby food puree, although she recommends so little calorific intake per day that I can't see it having any long term benefit (in my opinion anyway).

So, making a puree that you do yourself, at least you know what goes in it, it's healthy and when you haven't had time to shop for fresh veggies, it's got to be a good option, I might try it myself!!
    Angela x
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Maybe if you have swallowing problems...but other than that ECH EWWWW BLAHHHH UGHHHH and whichever other phrase I can use to say GROSS!!! I have to make pureed meals for our bad dementia residents and now anything with a smooth pureed texture makes me cringe. I associate all those kinds of foods with that and cant even stomach it:sick:
  • guppygirl322
    guppygirl322 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I do it all the time. Have done it for years. It was the only way to get my daughter to eat her veggies.

Instead of thinking GROSS, maybe you should try it.

Pureed sweet potatoes in macaroni and cheese = YUM.

Pureed red pepper/carrots in pasta sauce is good too.

Soup can be nothing more than pureed vegetables.

Think outside the box.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I think it is a good Idea for people who hate veggies. You can hide spinach in turkey meatloaf or Carrots and zucchini in meatballs. I put butternut squash in mac and cheese. I do it for my grandson who eats nothing. I think if you like these things it is more pleasing and satisfying to actually eat them. I love eating my veggies. I don't want them hidden and I don't want to drink them.
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I'm not one for hiding vegetables, but then again I like most veg. If you are a person who doesn't like veg this may be a good way to get them in.
  • Atleast40
    Atleast40 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I'd try it. I plan to do so.
  • chris0912
    chris0912 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    In a different thread a week or so ago I posted some I found in a magazine, along with suggestions of what to do with them. Here's the link.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/250255--sneaking-in-veggies
  • guppygirl322
    guppygirl322 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    The Moosewood Cookbook also has some veggie purees in it, that can be used in omlettes, on baked potatoes, in place of sour cream, on toast, on veggies, on fish, on pasta. I've made them all and they are tasty. Let me know if you'd like me to share them with you.
  • eating4balance
    eating4balance Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Check out the books Sneaky Chef and Deceptively Delicious. They both use veggies purees in your everyday recipes. Most of them are quite good. My favorite is adding chickpeas to chocolate chip cookies. So good... :smile: