Question about Ortega

Options
OK, so my family usually has a taco night once a month. We love to get the Ortega taco kit that come with hard and soft tacos, cheese sauce, seasoning, and taco sauce. So my question is, when I search the Ortega Taco Kit in the database, does it include the hamburger? I know this probably sounds like a ridiculous question, but I want to make sure I'm tracking the right amoung of calories, because if it's not included, then I need to add hamburger meat to my food diary. I would really appreciate any help anyone can offer!! Thank you!! Oh, and I already have the taco kit in my diary, so if you want to just check it out from my diary instead of searching it, go ahead! My diary has always been open to the public! Thank you so much! :)

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    The nutrition facts should be on the box. Compare it to the database. It should say on the side if it includes the meat, if it does not, it does not include the meat.
  • meganwolsker
    Options
    I checked out your diary but couldnt find the ortega entry...but I am really tired so I probably overlooked it. Anyways, I would say lt that the hamburger is not included in the nutritional value so you would need to add that.
  • musicgirl88
    musicgirl88 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    The nutrition facts should be on the box. Compare it to the database. It should say on the side if it includes the meat, if it does not, it does not include the meat.

Of course! Why did I not think of that!! LOL I think doing work in my garden in the heat may have fried my brain! LOL I didn't expect anyone to post because so many people are so anti-boxed foods. But, it's once a month! We've always had taco night, and I don't want to give up my taco night. I'm sure I could make it healthier, but, I planned for it so I'm good on calories and everything else! LOL Anyway, thanks again!!
  • maria1993
    maria1993 Posts: 112
    Options
    For 250 calories there is no way that includes the beef.. The beef will be about 300 calories by itself. You could use chicken or turkey for fewer calories.. Or boil the beef and log it as "lean"
  • iwlizz
    iwlizz Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I used ground turkey in my taco's. It holds flavor better, in my opinion. Less greasy than ground beef. I always make sure to drain any liquid out of the pan before I add the seasoning mix and water in.
  • mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Not sure if this helps. but I use Old El Paso and the shells, for three, are 150 calories (50 cals each). I was also confused with the kit because it says it includes meat, sauce etc.
    I ended up going to Old El Paso's Website and looking at their products to fig it out, but I was about to call them because I wanted to make 100% sure :)
  • mrsfeuer
    mrsfeuer Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure the meat is extra.
  • musicgirl88
    Options
    OK, so I checked the box, and it doesn't say anything about meat included or not included, so I'm going to go ahead and measure out the meat I decide to use and add that in. Thank you all for helping me out!! Some of you mentioned using turkey instead, but I am not a turkey type of person LOL, but thank you for suggesting it! I always drain all of the grease before adding the seasoning, so I guess that could help a little LOL, but I had planned out my whole day to make sure that I have enough calories for this dinner. As I mentioned before, we only do it once a month, so I'm sure just one bad dinner won't hurt me LOL.
  • Teeladog
    Teeladog Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    If it makes you feel any better...we do mexican night EVERY week here. I don't use the kits but I do make myself Nachos...yummy :-).

Oh...and I agree with everyone else...you would need to add the meat in.
  • Kminor67
    Kminor67 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    If you ever decide that you do want to go healthier, I have a YUMMY recipe for a burrito filling, and you could use it for tacos too.

My Burrito Filling

1.25 lbs 90% lean ground beef
    1 package Westpac Meal Basics, Ranchero Blend
    1 Tbsp olive oil
    1 can Shur Fine Fat Free Refried Beans
    5 Tbsp Red Gold Salsa (medium)
    1 Tbsp Chili Powder
    1 Tbsp Cumin
    1 Tbsp Garlic Powder
    1 Tbsp Oregano

Brown the ground beef, and add the olive oil and ranchero blend. Cook until onions are tender. add the rest of the ingredients, stir well and cook until hot.

When I make Burritos I also use 8 oz of Kraft Fat Free Cheddar Cheese, and I put it on Mission Whole Wheat Flour Tortillas. Use 1 oz of cheese and 1 cup of mixture per burrito.

This recipe makes 8 burritos, and here is the nutritional content per burrito:

Calories: 409
    Carbs: 44g
    Fat: 9g
    Protein: 34g
    Fiber: 11g
    Sodium: 1038 mg

The majority of the sodium comes from the cheese, the tortillas, and the refried beans, but I haven't found lower sodium versions of these items thus far. Good luck!
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options

Of course! Why did I not think of that!! LOL I think doing work in my garden in the heat may have fried my brain! LOL I didn't expect anyone to post because so many people are so anti-boxed foods. But, it's once a month! We've always had taco night, and I don't want to give up my taco night. I'm sure I could make it healthier, but, I planned for it so I'm good on calories and everything else! LOL Anyway, thanks again!!

Had taco night the other night. I use no sodium chili powder and cayenne pepper on ground Turkey, use hard shells and whole wheat Low carb low fat soft tortilla's. Cut tomatoes, lettuce. no fat sour cream. Low fat colby jack cheese and taco sauce. Everyone loved them. Not giving up anything but sodium and fat.
  • musicgirl88
    Options
    If you ever decide that you do want to go healthier, I have a YUMMY recipe for a burrito filling, and you could use it for tacos too.

My Burrito Filling

1.25 lbs 90% lean ground beef
    1 package Westpac Meal Basics, Ranchero Blend
    1 Tbsp olive oil
    1 can Shur Fine Fat Free Refried Beans
    5 Tbsp Red Gold Salsa (medium)
    1 Tbsp Chili Powder
    1 Tbsp Cumin
    1 Tbsp Garlic Powder
    1 Tbsp Oregano

When I make Burritos I also use 8 oz of Kraft Fat Free Cheddar Cheese, and I put it on Mission Whole Wheat Flour Tortillas. Use 1 oz of cheese and 1 cup of mixture per burrito.

This recipe makes 8 burritos, and here is the nutritional content per burrito:

Calories: 409
    Carbs: 44g
    Fat: 9g
    Protein: 34g
    Fiber: 11g
    Sodium: 1038 mg

The majority of the sodium comes from the cheese, the tortillas, and the refried beans, but I haven't found lower sodium versions of these items thus far. Good luck!

Thank you!! This sounds super yummy!! The only thing I would leave out would be the beans because I am one of those people that hates the texture and taste of them! LOL I am trying to not be picky on this journey, but when you don't like something, you don't like it LOL