Your #1 tip for a Noob?

Options
13»

Replies

• tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    Be honest.

Log everything you eat. Be honest about the amount, however you measure it. Be honest about your daily activity. If the scale isn't moving, verify that you are telling yourself the truth, with measurements and activity tracker.

Be honest.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Forget woo, ignore anything that promises magical sounding results, believe the science, listen to the people who have actually suceeded and appreciate their advice, find a plan you can live with and stick to (don't change tactics every 2 weeks), don't overestimate calorie burns (you're only cheating yourself) and don't over-complicate it.
  • PrincessRina112
    PrincessRina112 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I tried to make it simple for my fiancé to understand the whole CICO thing.

I told him it's like money. I have 1,800 dollars to spend today. I can spend it however or on whatever I want. I can spend it anytime throughout the day. I can use very little in the AM and go on a shopping spree at night. The goal is to end up with 0 at the end of the night.

I think he kind of gets it now :)
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    Get a food scale.
  • tashspring68
    tashspring68 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Use My Fitness Pal. Log everything you eat. Buy scales for weighing your portions. If you do that, and you stick to your calorie limit as given by MFP, you'll lose weight.
  • AlciaMode
    AlciaMode Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Stick to it. Even after you mess up do not give up get back up and keep going
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    stop looking at yourself as new to this. you've been doing it for a long time, so look at it as as journey that you're still on. You've been on the uphill side, and not getting anywhere, but honestly, you've been making it hard for yourself. If you haven't been losing weight, it's because you've been eating too much, plain and simple.
    Now get back on the road, and stop struggling. Buy a food scale, weigh all of your food, log it, and be honest with yourself. Log everything.
    Stick to your deficit every day if you want to lose the weight. If you want to have treats, have them, but have them in small portions and adjust your portions in other areas so that the treats fit into your calorie deficit. Don't get caught up in the idea of 'cheat' days. Those lead to one cheat day now and then, to more often, to cheating yourself all the time.
    The only person you hurt when you cheat or lie on your logging is yourself.