Milk intolerance and reaching protein requirements

Options
Hello Everyone!

Just did a Pinner Food Intolerance Test and results came back with a "high" cow's milk intolerance.

I'm recently getting back on the macro train. I need to get 116 grams of protein a day and relied on yoghurt for the past week to get me there.

Anyone have protein suggestions that are macro friendly snacks for in between meals?

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Assuming you're not a vegetarian, more meat at meals and hard boiled eggs for snacks. You could also do smoothies with protein powder that comes from non-dairy sources.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Are you looking for just high protein, higher protein with lower fat, protein with lower carbohydrates?
  • Kullerva
    Kullerva Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    Some cheeses have virtually no lactose (milk sugar): cheddar, swiss, etc. I don't eat much meat but I adore peanut butter, fish, protein-fortified pasta, tempeh/TVC/tofu (if it's your thing)...some kinds of almond milk have equal protein to cow milk. Good luck!
  • Cartridgecaity
    Cartridgecaity Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Just high protein - if it has to be higher in something, I'd rather it be fat than carbs.

I'm not a vegetarian/vegan , but good idea on the non-dairy protein powder. I was thinking eggs but I didn't want to go overboard!
  • Cartridgecaity
    Options
    Is the lactose in milk what usually causes the intolerance?
    Thanks everyone!
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Nuts.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Many people with dairy issues can still eat cottage cheese, so maybe try that. Meat, fish, tofu, tempeh, edamame - any soy product - good source of protein.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Not mentioned yet....tuna!
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    Is the lactose in milk what usually causes the intolerance?
    Thanks everyone!

When you took the test, were you told it was lactose? Usually when you get a diagnosis like this, the doctor should help you understand what the issue is and what you need to avoid.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Also, if you can find them, the almond and coconut milk yogurts are yummy.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Ask your doctor, but some people who are intolerant to lactose can still eat yogurt etc. How about sheep or goat milk?
  • soapsandropes
    soapsandropes Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Does eating dairy actually bother you? There is some question about the value of IgE testing for food intolerances.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    Also, if you can find them, the almond and coconut milk yogurts are yummy.

They are delicious. Unfortunately, the protein content is usually pretty low. They're a substitute for the taste of yogurt, not the macros. Soy yogurt often has more protein though.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Black bean spaghetti will give you about 25 grams of protein for every 2 oz. Costco/Whole Foods sells it.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Does eating dairy actually bother you? There is some question about the value of IgE testing for food intolerances.

Winner winner...
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options

Winner winner...

^ sorry to copy what they are saying but it's true! Go to your doctor and get an actual test done.

I can't have allot of dairy but I noticed that when I had dairy i would get bloated and uncomfortable .... so there was a legit issue correlated with it before I decided to cut it out of my diet.

As for milk as a protein source, it's actually super low outside of whey protein. You can get a proteins that are derived from beef not dairy.
  • Cartridgecaity
    Options

Winner winner...

I don't feel bad after dairy but......

I've had psoriasis for about 15 years. The reason I had the test done is because it's been speculated that psoriasis is food related. Certain foods supposedly causing the inflammation. I've noticed since cleaning up my diet in past years, it gotten better and went away to an extent. But I've cut out foods without knowing if they were actually related ( i.e. the gluten craze). Apparently your GP does a test for allergies, which can be life threatening, but not for "intolerances", which cause inflammation and related symptoms.

I figured I'd give this Pinner Test a try and see if it made any difference. To me it was worth a try.

And thanks for suggestions everyone!!!
  • SeptemberFeyre
    SeptemberFeyre Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Fairlife milk has no lactose and higher protein and is available at Walmart. My daughter is lactose intolerant...if u truly are it is the lactose that bothers you. It gives her stomach pain and sometimes diarrhea. We haven't tried fair life yet, but she really likes cashew dream and the ' so delicious' coconut milk products.
  • brendak76
    brendak76 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    There is a big difference between being lactose intolerant and having a dairy allergy. If you have a true allergy you cannot have the protein from any dairy product including whey, casein, even lactose free milk has milk protein just not lactose. Lactose is the sugar found in milk that can be difficult to digest but is not an allergy. Definitely find out what it is you're dealing with. People with true dairy allergies also should avoid foods cross contaminated with dairy.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Just high protein - if it has to be higher in something, I'd rather it be fat than carbs.

I'm not a vegetarian/vegan , but good idea on the non-dairy protein powder. I was thinking eggs but I didn't want to go overboard!

I took a look at your diary. It seems like you just have meat once per day. Have it at a few more meals and problem solved. For example, for breakfast, I often toss in a few ounces of chicken or steak with my eggs and veggies.