how do you stick to a diet?

Options
people tell me not to think about it and ill do it but i have thought about this one 24/7 and ts acctually worked haha
what Technic do u use? how do you stick to your diets?
i think iv done well because i have support

Replies

• gdelg732
    gdelg732 Posts: 12
    Options
    Its hard very hard. I have to use myfitnesspal because if I dont I overeat lol
  • kirstyfromscotland
    kirstyfromscotland Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    same as me i think about it more, I pay lots more attention 2 what i eat and i work out hard and i love it, when i weigh in and loose a bit i feel motivated to go another week. :bigsmile:
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    For me, it's not a diet. Diet usually has a negative connotation attached to it. This is something I plan on doing the rest of my life.
    When you think of it in the dictionary form of "diet", then "diet" is what you choose to fuel your body with on a daily basis.

IE: a lion's DIET consists of meat, a horse's DIET is herbs and plants

see how that works? They don't think about their diet. They just need to keep their bodies fueled for optimal survival.
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    I don't...it's all about lifestyle and the choices I make.
  • KTGator
    KTGator Posts: 78
    Options
    I think for me one of the big things is not looking at it as a "diet".

Diet to me suggests not allowing myself to eat certain foods, and if I want to eat some chips, I'm going to eat some chips -- I'm just going to make sure I control my portion and that I have enough calories (even if it involves a workout!) to eat that particular food I want.

What makes me able to stick with it is feeling like I'm not depriving myself of something I want, I'm just smarter in how I consume it now =)
  • jpeterburs88
    jpeterburs88 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    For me, it's not a diet. Diet usually has a negative connotation attached to it. This is something I plan on doing the rest of my life.
    When you think of it in the dictionary form of "diet", then "diet" is what you choose to fuel your body with on a daily basis.

IE: a lion's DIET consists of meat, a horse's DIET is herbs and plants

see how that works? They don't think about their diet. They just need to keep their bodies fueled for optimal survival.

exactly how I feel. I am not "dieting" I am changing the way I eat-- forever. :) once you get used to your changes you dont even feel any different any more... except healthier.
  • riacurtis
    riacurtis Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I read success stories to keep me motivated.
  • iAMaPhoenix
    iAMaPhoenix Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    people tell me not to think about it and ill do it but i have thought about this one 24/7 and ts acctually worked haha
    what Technic do u use? how do you stick to your diets?
    i think iv done well because i have support
    The answer is you cannot. You must have a lifestyle change and a mindset to be healthy. Everything else will fall into place eventually. Good Luck.

E.
  • Elle_Jamaicangirl81
    Elle_Jamaicangirl81 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    totally agree.... dont call this a diet.. you're changing how you eat.

Make a habit of logging your food.. seeing what u eat on paper (or computer screen) put things in a bigger perspective.

I log as soon as i eat something... i have the app on my blackberry, so i think twice about eating something more all the time. Lil obsessive, but it works for me.

Get out and find other things to do, i find when i'm bored i'll want to eat. i replace it with a jog, or reading the forums on MFP,

it takes some discipline, so make sure YOU know why you need to do this and have supportive people around u.

Good luck
  • 30tips
    30tips Posts: 132
    Options
    I use about 100 techniques! that are on my blog. I do have about ten that I use the most. I try not to go over my calories even if it´s a special day (because there are way too many special occasions, such as get-togethers, dinners, etc.). I must admit that yesterday on my birthday I went over a bit, though.

The ones that work the best are:
    Usually plan my day
    If I can´t plan and/or log because I´m on a trip, I keep mental note of calories all day long, or write it on a piece of paper.
    Almost eliminate sugary beverages,
    Drink 8 glasses of water a day
    Be careful with sleep deprivation
    If I feel hungry when I think I shouldn´t be, try to pinpoint what might be making me anxious, and write about it in a journal
    Have a decent fibrous breakfast most of the time
  • 30tips
    30tips Posts: 132
    Options
    Exercise is also a must.
  • KatieMiaX
    KatieMiaX Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    i think of it as looseing weight and being slim and sexy and yeah when iv lost more weight i want to loose more and more but i would have never been able to do it without MFP loveee it and hopfully it will change my life, ii try my hardest to eat healthy but i dont like veggies i also keep my calories around 1200 and try not eat bad carbs
  • oravavaara
    oravavaara Posts: 29
    Options
    I just make sure to get a lot of variety and balance. Some days, like today, I eat the crappy foods that I crave so badly but know are so bad. But I've made room for them by exercising. For the most part, though, I focus on energy-dense foods and try to think of the benefits. It's about gratification, perspective, and discipline. The feeling I get from eating a big bowl of spinach is worth way more to me than the blood sugar spike following a donut, or the weighed-down feeling of fried food. Today, I've eaten a few marshmallows and am on my way to pick up some crab rangoons. Marshmallows have 90 calories for 4, and crab rangoons have 130 calories for 2. So I've planned my guilty pleasures and used an appropriate amount of discipline. Too much, and I'm bound to rebel. Too little discipline, and I'm bound to fail.