Dude Im Totally New

Options
I just want to say Im new to this. My name is Aric, Im a very social person and I just like people. I will need some accounatbility but it would be good to hear about success stories. I started this abotu 3 weeks ago and I weighed in at 380 lbs. My goal is 225. Just trying to get back to my Ideal weight.

Replies

• MMAsac
    MMAsac Posts: 191
    Options
    hey man welcome, we have the same goal weight and almost the same starting weight. I started back in january tho. good luck on your journey you can do this!
  • Shae3891
    Shae3891 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Good for you, welcome! this is the first step. This is my 2nd week and I'm pleased to say I am down three pounds! For me though it's not just about the three pounds, the best part has been proving to myself that I can do this, I've never thought of myself as someone with much willpower, but now that I've started I'm seeing that it much easier than I expected. Keep it up and thanks for taking the time to say hello to everyone.
  • Larius
    Larius Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Welcome!

Since you're totally new, I will remind you not to be too hard on yourself if you slip up a little once in a while. There are many battles in this war and you don't need to win them all, just don't surrender.
  • HolllieLouise
    Options
    Heyy I'm new too so would love to give you support with your goal :) had me as a friend (: xxx
  • icerose137
    icerose137 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Are you going to make one big goal or lots of mini goals? Good luck and hang in there.
  • Shannmarrs
    Shannmarrs Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Welcome! MFP members are get for support and accountablity...and will also remind you if you are being too hard on yourself (which can be the case sometimes!) Best of luck to you!!
  • skinnymeinaz
    skinnymeinaz Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Welcome! You are going to love MFP!!! I started 5/3/11 and have lost 18lbs so far.....I am working on my next lb and 1/2 so I can say I am 1/4 of the way to my goal!!!! If you want to add me I am on here daily and will try to help you with your accountability.
  • mauryr
    mauryr Posts: 385
    Options
    Welcome aboard. I've been here for about 6 months now. I started at 224 (that was actually shortly before finding this site) and now I'm at 158 or so.

I just wanted to comment about "not being too hard on yourself" - You do need to take this seriously, as the results you get are based quite completely on your behavior. There isn't someone who will "cut you some slack" if you overindulge, as your body can't be reasoned with. It reacts based upon the food you put in to it, and the exercise you take out of it. It's that simple.

That doesn't mean that if you have a day every now and then where it doesn't work out - calorie wise - that you should whip yourself. You shouldn't . But you should be comfortable with the fact that by misbehaving, you're delaying the achievement of your goal. That's all. No real harm done, but there are non-negotiable consequences for your actions, and there is only one person responsible for the results, and that is you.

And you have to come to grips with the fact that it will take a while to achieve your goal. You'll have lots of victories along the path that will keep you motivated. Some are predictable (your clothes will get too baggy, and you'll need new stuff - and then you'll be happier with what you see in the mirror) and some will be surprising (perhaps you'll notice that knee pain subsides because of less load on them). But, in order to really meet the goals you've set, you'll have to be consistent for an extended period of time. You'll really have to create new habits, that are strongly embedded.

Man, I sound like a hard-*kitten*, but coming to grips with these simple and obvious truths helped me out, so I pass them along to you!

I don't really mean to get all heavy about this, 'cause it's really not all that hard to do, after the first couple of weeks. It ain't easy, but it's totally do-able, and you can indeed do it. I think that there's a quote in my signature (which I found on this site, BTW) that mentions that people fail because they trade what they want right now for what they deeply want in the future. Think about both of those wants - a cheeseburger vs the improved health and vitality of a trim, svelte body - when temptation strikes.
  • 2novgirls
    2novgirls Posts: 35
    Options
    welcome, add me if you would like.
  • gmkimby
    gmkimby Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP!!!
  • AricAngel
    AricAngel Posts: 21
    Options
    Wow, Thanks for the welcome. I am excited to try this out. I need this not just for me but for my wife and children. I have to be able to keep up with them.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Welcome and good luck on your journey. You came to the right place.
  • Mishy
    Mishy Posts: 1,551 Member
    Options
    Welcome! This is a great place to be! Good Luck!
  • treez69
    treez69 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm new too, add me as a friend and we can support each other on our journey
  • krevelle65
    krevelle65 Posts: 189
    Options
    Hi
    I'm Kathy, I have been on MFP Since 4/25. I started at 272, my goal is 145. I love this site. I have an iPod touch, I take it everywhere. I record everything I eat. If it has calories I record it. When I get home I Sinc it with the website. Sodium is my nemisis, but I am working on it.
    Things I have learned are...
    Don't try to fix everything at once- start with learning what a serving size really is, not what you would like it to be.
    Read labels before bringing food home
    Once you get a handle on the portion size, start watching nutritional value, start controling sugar, fiber, sodium ....
    NSV = non scale victory
    You add your weight ticker buy added it to the signature link at the top of the community page
    If you want to send me a message or friend me click on my picture.

Welcome to the site,
  • FabOma08
    FabOma08 Posts: 500
    Options
    Hi
    I'm Kathy, I have been on MFP Since 4/25. I started at 272, my goal is 145. I love this site. I have an iPod touch, I take it everywhere. I record everything I eat. If it has calories I record it. When I get home I Sinc it with the website. Sodium is my nemisis, but I am working on it.
    Things I have learned are...
    Don't try to fix everything at once- start with learning what a serving size really is, not what you would like it to be.
    Read labels before bringing food home
    Once you get a handle on the portion size, start watching nutritional value, start controling sugar, fiber, sodium ....
    NSV = non scale victory
    You add your weight ticker buy added it to the signature link at the top of the community page
    If you want to send me a message or friend me click on my picture.

Welcome to the site,

Thank you for defining NSV! I've asked around several times but never got an answer! I got the idea but not exact words!
    Aric, as in all things we decide to change in life, there's a first step. You've already reached that goal. Facing the fact a change is needed and making the decision to do it! Congratulations on beginning one of the most important journeys of your life!
  • RozeGod
    RozeGod Posts: 118
    Options
    Welcome!! I am pretty new here too - just been here about a week. You should check out some of the success stories here- they are soooo encouraging - -good luck on your journey!!:happy:
  • sunnyree
    sunnyree Posts: 2
    Options
    I'm new here too. Never counted calories, points yes, calories no. I'm hoping that by counting calories, I will get a good understanding of what to do correct.y:tongue:
  • MrsRobertson1005
    MrsRobertson1005 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    What is your 100 mile goal about? I'm training for a 60 mile walk so I was just curious, message me :)
  • AricAngel
    AricAngel Posts: 21
    Options
    I guess I dont really know why you all call it a journey. Its more like an adventure. Journey to me is something that sounds painful. An adventure is something that is going to be new fresh and will have its hills but the way up will be good and positive. Maybe im Hypeanalyzing the word. anyway im planning on having fun with this diet.