Gain muscle lose fat ?

Options
2»

Replies

• mbauer013
    mbauer013 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Entirely possible, I've been doing something similar, but also losing overall weight since April. I follow the Greyskull Linear Progression plan for lifting and then eat for results. I try to get at least 1 gram of protein per lb of lean body mass everyday, sufficient fat (about 25-30%) to keep my joints from hurting and keep my muscle and fill in the rest with high quality carbs. I'm at about a 500 cal deficit because I'm losing weight, but my long term plan is to reduce that deficit as I get closer to goal. The results for me have been great. I'm down about 50lbs, mostly fat, increased all of my major lifts significantly, and I look much better in my clothes. It takes time but is entirely doable!
  • BettyBoles
    BettyBoles Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Yes you can gain muscle and lose fat by proper diet and exercise. Take proper weight training to gain muscle and eat healthy.
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    wannabf1t wrote: »
    @Samm471: My main concern is looking exactly the same if I decide to cut in the future.
    @wannabf1t
    Maximising fat loss and minimising muscle loss in a cut can be really simple - small deficit, adequate protein, resistance training. You will be fine, take away the fluffiness and reveal the new muscle definition!

This is exactly what I am doing.
    how long does it take to see a difference?
  • wannabf1t
    wannabf1t Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    @Samm471: My main concern is looking exactly the same if I decide to cut in the future.
    @wannabf1t
    Maximising fat loss and minimising muscle loss in a cut can be really simple - small deficit, adequate protein, resistance training. You will be fine, take away the fluffiness and reveal the new muscle definition!

I'm not entirely sure I'm eating at maintenance. I think I'm slightly at a surplus because I have gained a little and it has been gradual after the initial water weight gain from upping cals. Which I kindaq knew but I didn't care.
    As far as telling the difference, I started focusing solely on lifting weights and dropped all forms of cardio in early August, so i've only been at it for 2.5-3 months. Aside from strength gains, the main change I notice is in my glutes and my legs. They feel firmer and more shapely. It is hard to explain but I know they look different to me. I have also noticed some minor changes in my upper body like in my biceps/triceps and a tiny difference in shoulders. It is still hard for me to tell because I didn't start super skinny or super lean.
    So I can't tell you that've lowered body fat because I will tell you no, I don't feel like I have. I do plan to cut eventually to see if eating all this food and lifting heavy (well, heavy for me) made a difference.
  • stephxo1
    stephxo1 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    @wannabf1t

I'm not entirely sure I'm eating at maintenance. I think I'm slightly at a surplus because I have gained a little and it has been gradual after the initial water weight gain from upping cals. Which I kindaq knew but I didn't care.
    As far as telling the difference, I started focusing solely on lifting weights and dropped all forms of cardio in early August, so i've only been at it for 2.5-3 months. Aside from strength gains, the main change I notice is in my glutes and my legs. They feel firmer and more shapely. It is hard to explain but I know they look different to me. I have also noticed some minor changes in my upper body like in my biceps/triceps and a tiny difference in shoulders. It is still hard for me to tell because I didn't start super skinny or super lean.
    So I can't tell you that've lowered body fat because I will tell you no, I don't feel like I have. I do plan to cut eventually to see if eating all this food and lifting heavy (well, heavy for me) made a difference.

wannabf1t I've had a look at your diary over the past week and your calories range from as low as 1297 right up to 2449 with your average for the past week is 1711 cals per day. What I'd suggest is being more consistent with your intake and make sure that your weekly average is around what you think to be your maintenance. With your fluctuations in calories I'd say your weigh ins are all over the place throughout the week. I know if I have one high cal day I don't weigh in for a few days until the bloat/water weight disappears again. If you want any advice on cutting/maintaining/bulking drop me a PM. I've cut, bulked, maintained and about to hit my second bulk cycle in December/January. Recomp is ok but to see changes I'd suggest cycling your calories over the year. Not to say it's everyones cup of tea but it's worked for me.
  • wannabf1t
    wannabf1t Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Thank you Stephxo1. I will send you a pm, I'm very interested in hear your advice. I was actually trying to cut last week but ended up going over the goal I had set. I started this process of maintenance in August and with the exception of last week there has only been another week where I ate 1700ish. I do agree that I need to focus on my macros but the last few weeks have been a mental struggle.
  • skysiebaby
    skysiebaby Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Utter twaddle from Steve4239 above, please ignore that classic piece of broscience.

Fat is fuel, it's totally normal to be shuttling "calories" into and out of fat stores. That's happening all the time, multiple times a day.

"What you are eating" is simply the food you enjoy, eat for long term health and enjoyment. There is no need for special foods or macros or eating patterns.

Focus on your training not food. Assuming you have your maintenance calories nailed down it's the training you do that has the biggest impact.

If you want advice let people know your goals, any restrictions (injury, time, equipment...) and current training regime.

Listen to @sijomial - this guy knows what he's talking about.