PEDOMETER VS. HEART RATE MONITOR

Options
Questions what is the difference bet a heart rate monitor vs. a pedometer? Currently I'm using a pedometer which gives me the calories burned, km, and miles...Do I need to purchase a heart rate monitor as well

Replies

• Stephinow
    Stephinow Posts: 273
    Options
    I wonder because your pedometer does more than any one I ever had. I thought about buying one like that for when I just go walking, but I have an HRM that I use for when I do Zumba or my Jillian Michaels' DVD's. Have you ever used it for anything other than walking?
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I would purchase an HRM if you can. I'm assuming the pedometer does not have all your info like age/weight/height/sex nor does it have a chest strap to constantly tell you what your heart rate is and if your should take a break/push harder. Again they are not necessary but are a better way to gauge your calorie burn and know what your heart rate is.
  • kristiedavis1
    Options
    The only difference based on your description is that a HRM tells you how fast your heart is beating which gives you an idea of what your heart rate needs to be to burn more calories. Some of the more advanced ones tell you when you reach a fat burn level or alarm if your HR gets too high. For general purposes I think the pedometer is doing all you need it to.
  • reeology
    reeology Posts: 22
    Options
    A pedometer tells you how many calories you've burned based on how many steps you've taken whereas a heart rate monitor will calculate it based on your heart rate and (I think) your weight. It can report calories burnt doing things other than walking. A more versatile tool, I think, but if you're just walking then maybe a HRM's not worth the extra money. It IS cool, though.
  • blackpearlgrl
    blackpearlgrl Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    A pedometer is a great tool. If you would like to invest in a heart monitor it would help achieve the results you want. For example, in order to burn fat effectively you need to be in the high intensity zone of 90 % or better. That is determined by your heart rate/minute according to your age and weight. I read one would need to have about 75 minutes a week to shed off unwanted fat areas. Another good reason is it tracks your calories and work out zones. Plus you can push yourself to the limit you set your goals so that you get a better work out. For me I am new at this and just love mine because of these reasons. Its an extra diet tool besides my measuring cups and scale to head me in the right direction. Good luck on your journey :smile:
  • blacrasberri
    blacrasberri Posts: 102
    Options
    Thanks so much for your responses. The pedometer that I'm referring to was actually FREE. My local animal shelter donated them as an incentive to encourage ppl to walk the dogs in the pound. It's pretty good for walking it tells me the calories burned, km, and miles. My dilemma is when I work out using DVDs, and Wii Fitness Games. I use the pedometer but it doesn't seem accurate. I'm doing too much sweating for it to tell me I've only burned 40 calories. I guess the purchasing an inexpensive HRM wouldn't hurt since it would take my heart rate into account which the pedometer doesn't
  • Banjolover
    Options
    For the pedometer to measure calories burned it needs to be properly set up with your current body weight and your average "Stride Length" of your normal walking gait. I wear one at work as part of a "10,000 Steps fitness plan". For any serious workout, I wear my Timex HRM with chest strap. The HRM also has some set-up parameters such as body-weight, which needs to be updated in the device periodically as you lose weight. The stride length should remain fairly constant once you determine it. Google "Stride length" for some ways to measure it.
  • blacrasberri
    Options
    Right now I'm on Walmart.com looking for Heart Rate Monitors. Hmm what other sites do u recommend
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Right now I'm on Walmart.com looking for Heart Rate Monitors. Hmm what other sites do u recommend

amazon.com, drugstore.com and heartratemonitorsusa.com.

I saw earlier that you want a cheaper HRM. and I(semi) caution you against that. While cheap HRM's work fine I'm sure, as the saying goes, you get what you pay for. Most people(including myself) have Polar HRM's because they are the most recommended brand. Granted they cost a bit more, but in the long run it's a better investment.
  • blacrasberri
    Options
    Thanks @ dad106 for your post. I just ordered one from Walmart .com but if it gives me trouble I will simply return it and purchase one from heartratemontirosusa.com Thanks so much for the sites