Fitbit: Useful?

Options
Alright folks. I am considering Picking up a Fitbit (looking at the Charge HR).

I'd love to hear from some of you who have used them. Have you found it useful? Does it just become another piece of technology that you can soon ignore?

Replies

• believeit66
    believeit66 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I *love* mine. I had heart surgery in May. Prior to that, if I got in 2000 steps in a day I was doing well. Now that my heart is getting all of the oxygen/nutrients it needs, even on days I don't formally "work" out, I average between 5000 and 6000 steps. I've had the Zip for about a year now, and want to upgrade to one with a HR monitor, because while i can check my HR on machines at the gym, the weather is cooler now and I want to get outside, but I do need to watch that my HR doesn't go above about 140 bpm to protect the by-pass grafts. If I was not watching my HR at the gym though, I would have no idea that now I need to speed up on the treadmill and add an incline to even get my HR over 100! So monitoring your HR and activity is great for measuring your progress, and knowing when you really need to step it up to maintain the same level of cardiac intensity.

I also want to upgrade to monitor my sleep. Poor sleep = elevated cortisol, which has both blood glucose control implications (I'm diabetic) and weight control implications.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I had a Fitbit (changed to a Garmin Vivofit2 recently) and I love having a tracker! It was very helpful in telling me exactly how much (or little) I was moving during the day and how much walking I needed to do to reach my goal. After a couple of months (while it collected data on me) I found that the TDEE numbers were pretty accurate.

Neither of my trackers has an HRM. The more I read, the more I realized that they really were not going to give me any more useful information than I was already getting from them. The wrist-worn HRM's are notoriously inaccurate compared to the ones worn on the chest. The Vivofit has an optional chest HRM, but I chose not to get it because the only cardio I do in addition to walking is swimming and bluetooth doesn't work well at all in the water.

I do think it is worth it. I do not think the models that have an HRM are worth the extra money.

ETA: the reason I changed to Vivofit is because the newer Fitbit Flex cannot be worn in water, unlike the older one I had, and I swim and do water aerobics.
  • GillianLF
    GillianLF Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I got a Charge HR about a month ago.

It hasn't made any difference to the steps I take, just confirmed what I already knew...that I move a lot for someone with 2 desk jobs.

I'm more interested in heart rate and sleep that are measured on it. I am a really light sleeper and never sleep through the night. I've been taking ZMA the last couple of weeks and can see from the Fitbit that my deep sleep has improved and I spend less time in REM mode.

I enjoy the heart rate too. I've been able to notice that my heart has to work harder to put me into certain zones as I get used to a workout. I also found from the Fitbit that on high resistance days I burn way more calories than on cardio days.

So I like it but after a month the novelty factors are gone and its probably not going to teach me much else. I'm doing some of the "challenges" to keep me interested but as I said it doesn't really motivate me to move more. I move where I can. The thing is though when I move I swing my arms a lot now to get that heart rate up.

The Fitbit is giving me an additional load of calories each day!

I'm going to give mine to my partner as he is not very active. I think its very useful for someone who needs a push or thinks they are fitter than they really are. For what it is its cheap enough and there's no chest strap for the HRM. I prefer my Garmin Forerunner though.
  • flippy1234
    flippy1234 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    I have the Fitbit Zip and love it. Tells me just what I need to know and no more. My husband has the Charge and wears it every day. The best thing for me is that it tells me how lazy I am sometimes. Then I feel guilty so I get up and go.
  • nyponbell
    nyponbell Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I have the Charge HR and I love it. I've had it since June I think, of this year, and it does still motivate me (when I allow it to). It does give me more calories, but considering I can be a lot more active than my activity setting on MFP (low because I'm not always) that's a good thing. I don't do the challenges, but just keep it for myself - at least at the moment. It's still a worthy investment to me, and if mine broke and I couldn't get it replaced for free due to warranty, I'd buy a new one.

I love the app too, and that it tracks sleep (even if not 100% accurately, it gives me a good idea of what's going on) and BPM, which I'm trying to lower.

So if you can afford it, I'd say go for it. Since it's also used as a watch, even if you do end up forgetting about it - you forget about it when you're wearing it, and chances are, it won't be another gadget in a drawer somewhere, never to be used. :smile:
  • jeepinshawn
    jeepinshawn Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Mine is a great tool, it keeps me motivated to reach my step and activity goals, and if the TDEE counts are as accurate as what I have been told that will be the icing on the cake.
  • lifeandleaves
    lifeandleaves Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I got a fitbit on Halloween and I love it.

I'm.already very active but know that some days I can be more active than others. I set my goal steps for 19,000 and challenge myself.to meet it every day, where some days I would.normally.only hit 7-10k if work is particularly desk-based as it varies.

Hitting more goals,.knowing where my workouts are taking my.heart rate,and tracking sleep.eith the charge HR has been really.useful for a data-geek like me and has.been extremely motivating. Im.just working toward my.next badge. ;)
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I've used a Vivosmart for about six months.

Interesting, ish. It doesn't tell me much I don't know already, and given that I run, swim and cycle it doesn't serve to make me more active.

It doesn't account for non-step based exeercise, so after a 2 hour 50 mile ride it'll prod me to move more...

If I'd payed full price I wouldn't think i'd got a good deal.
  • LernRach
    LernRach Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Oh, how I love mine!! I have had it for over a year now and would definitely go out and buy a new one if this one broke. I feel like it keeps me motivated, I do competitions with friends (but only people I know...) We push each other to do more etc. I don't generally eat back fitbit calories (When I woke up this morning and logged into MFP it had already given me 587 extra calories having walked from bedroom to dining room....) Unless I do a really long walk...
    Either way, it is motivating and forces you not to be lazy!
  • Lucille4444
    Lucille4444 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I have a Vivofit with HRM and like it. I'm more active with it, that's for sure. And my lifting/exercise sessions that don't involve walking show up on my exercise log because of the HRM.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    flippy1234 wrote: »
    I have the Fitbit Zip and love it. Tells me just what I need to know and no more. My husband has the Charge and wears it every day. The best thing for me is that it tells me how lazy I am sometimes. Then I feel guilty so I get up and go.

the bit in bold. I have a zip. cheap, discreet (I just clip it onto my bra) and easy to sync with my phone. I know I'm not that active during the day, so seeing low steps makes me go out for a walk. I don't pay attention to the calorie burn, but do use it to record an approximate mileage (I've never calibrated my steps, so only count anything over a mile)
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    I've had mine for over two years. When I got it I was still losing, but I find it even more useful for maintenance. It's pretty accurate when it syncs with MFP, so that I know where my calorie goal should be.
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I love my Charge HR. It gives me a better idea on what I'm actually burning. (I ride to work 20 min each way. MapMyRide and MFP tell me I should be burning between 300-400 calories on that ride. I average 185. It gives me a better estimate for my TDEE
  • benmarcum
    benmarcum Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Fantastic.
    Thanks everyone!
  • MamaMollyT
    MamaMollyT Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I don't have a fit bit- I have a suunto but it does same thing just more geared towards running. It's like my baby. I have to have it with me. And then I geek out over all the run data I upload. It's an obsession.