Peanut Butter.. Good or bad

Options
saral89
saral89 Posts: 108 Member
I've been hearing so many different things with peanut butter. So is it good or bad? I just had some right now with celery and raisins and now I don't know how good that was...

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    The fat in peanut butter is the good kind - plus there is protein.

That said, be careful as some PB's are high in sugar and/or salt
  • thumphead
    thumphead Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've always heard that the natural style peanut butters are better for you because they dont have hydrogenated oil in it. They use the hydrogenated to keep the oil from separating and rising to the top. Thats why you have to mix up the natural style before you eat it. I forgot the reasoning why hydrogenated was unhealthy. I think your body doesnt digest it as well or something.
  • jamiefire7
    jamiefire7 Posts: 50
    Options
    I think that in moderation it is fine. It is very high in sugar but as long as you are measuring it out and sticking to a serving size it is good. When i eat Peanut Butter I put it on bananas... Yum!!!
  • skinnyhappy
    skinnyhappy Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Peanut Butter & Co offers some AWESOME, non-stir PB. They have flavors like cinnamon raisin and DARK CHOCOLATE OMG OMG so good. Buy some, NOW.
  • mikegohl
    mikegohl Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Somebody told me about PB2 this morning. It looks good, so I order some.

http://www.bellplantation.com/products

Nutrition facts:

PB2: Powdered Peanut Butter
    Ingredients: Roasted peanuts, sugar and salt.
    Serving size: 2 Tablespoons (12 grams)
    Servings per container: 15
    Amount per 2 Tablespoon serving (when mixed with water):
    Calories: 45
    Calories from fat: 13

Value and % Daily Value*

Total fat 1.5 g 3%
    Saturated fat 0 g 0%
    Trans fat < 0.01 g
    Cholesterol < 0.01 mg 0%
    Sodium 94 mg 4%
    Total carbohydrate 5 g 2%
    Dietary fiber 2 g 8%
    Sugars 1 g
    Protein 5 g
    Vitamin A < 1%
    Vitamin C 0%
    Calcium <1%
    Iron 0%
  • Ben2118
    Ben2118 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    No added sugar PB is great, good fats and some protein, I have a small amount most days in my protein shake, it's something you could have everyday if you wanted but only in small amounts.

Ben.
  • craftydeb
    craftydeb Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I make my own peanut butter so I know the only thing added to it is the salt that is already on the peanuts. I add nothing to it and all I know is 2T is a serving and you can eat it anytime, just make sure of your portion control.....as with anything else you eat....don't deprive yourself.......I eat it everyday with either an apple or rice cakes and mix it with nutella.....
  • SimplyDeLish
    SimplyDeLish Posts: 539
    Options
    Natural peanut butter (ingredients peanuts, salt) are the best for you because they don't have added sugars and oils. Although high in calories, it's an excellent source of good fats and proteins...and keeps you full for a long time!

So enjoy your snack!
  • Kminor67
    Kminor67 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    If you can, go to Whole Foods and get their natural peanut butter that is ground right there in the store. It's delicious, and it skips all the salt, sugar, and preservatives. If not, search for natural peanut butters in your grocery store. Make sure you read the labels before you buy.
  • Buckeyt
    Buckeyt Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Somebody told me about PB2 this morning. It looks good, so I order some.

http://www.bellplantation.com/products

Nutrition facts:

PB2: Powdered Peanut Butter
    Ingredients: Roasted peanuts, sugar and salt.
    Serving size: 2 Tablespoons (12 grams)
    Servings per container: 15
    Amount per 2 Tablespoon serving (when mixed with water):
    Calories: 45
    Calories from fat: 13

Value and % Daily Value*

Total fat 1.5 g 3%
    Saturated fat 0 g 0%
    Trans fat < 0.01 g
    Cholesterol < 0.01 mg 0%
    Sodium 94 mg 4%
    Total carbohydrate 5 g 2%
    Dietary fiber 2 g 8%
    Sugars 1 g
    Protein 5 g
    Vitamin A < 1%
    Vitamin C 0%
    Calcium <1%
    Iron 0%

I love it mixed in with either chocolate protein powder or Shakeology but as a straight up substitute for the real stuff , like in a PB and J sandwhich, not so much.
  • saral89
    saral89 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Thanks. So just read labels :) Got it! And like everythign else, in moderation..
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    If you can, go to Whole Foods and get their natural peanut butter that is ground right there in the store. It's delicious, and it skips all the salt, sugar, and preservatives. If not, search for natural peanut butters in your grocery store. Make sure you read the labels before you buy.

THIS. Holy wow is the "ground in store" stuff good. I've made it at home in a similar manner, but it made by processor all gummy.
  • lindsay6694
    lindsay6694 Posts: 182
    Options
    i eat peanut butter almost every day lol and ive never had a problem losing weight. :smile:
  • Brandon74
    Brandon74 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    i eat peanut butter almost every day lol and ive never had a problem losing weight. :smile:

I do as well! Love the stuff.

Natural Peanut Butter is the way to go. Either Smuckers, or even the Skippy Natural and Jif Natural is fine. It gives you a great source of protein and the type of fat you need to eat.

I love to put it in my protein shakes that I make. Awesome!
  • TAWoody
    TAWoody Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Who on earth said it wasn't good for you? The ones with all the crap and sugar added in sure might not be as healthy but in general peanut butter is a good source of fat and protein just like a handful of peanuts would be.
  • craftydeb
    craftydeb Posts: 77 Member
    Options

THIS. Holy wow is the "ground in store" stuff good. I've made it at home in a similar manner, but it made by processor all gummy.

The best way to keep the processor from gumming up is to make the pb, and immediately after you pour it into the container, put hot water and about 4 drops of liquid detergent in it and turn it on high for about a minute, not pulsing, and rinse....sometimes it will take two times, but make sure the water is hot.....this is the way I clean out my vitamix after making mine.
  • bhagavatilad1
    Options
    Its good for you but you have to be careful eat it in moderation and if you find any skin rashes itching, eye irritation allergies means you're allergic stop using it for a few weeks and then try again its all about how much you personally can tolerate it and you can have similar symptoms with other nuts too so just be aware.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    Peanut Butter & Co offers some AWESOME, non-stir PB. They have flavors like cinnamon raisin and DARK CHOCOLATE OMG OMG so good. Buy some, NOW.

Oh god you're not kidding the white chocolate PB MMmmm I just threw an empty one away today.
    Peanut butter in moderation and paired with some fruit is good.
  • pattyproulx
    pattyproulx Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I prefer almond butter.
    Peanuts can harbor aflatoxin mold and have lectins that cause inflammation.

There are way worse things you can eat than peanuts, so I wouldn't worry too too much about it. If you do though, stick to all natural. It might take a few tries to get used to it, but it's delicious.